The Student Room Group

Supportive backless bras?

So I've finally found a dress that I'd like to wear to my prom but it's backless so it wouldn't look good with a regular bra. My size is 34DD so, while my boobs aren't huge, they're too big for me to be comfortable going braless.

I've heard mixed reports of backless bras; most people seem to think that they're pretty useless unless your boobs are average or smaller but I have heard that there are some out there made for people with more than a B-cup. Can anyone recommend a backless bra that actually provides a bit of support? I'm not expecting miracles but I love this dress so as long as it's not uncomfortable I'd be willing to give it a try. :smile:
I had the same problem and ended up settling for one that had a see through plastic strap across the back, don't know if that would be a problem for you? I tried on a few backless ones and just didn't feel supported by any of them, so that was a compromise that worked well for me although my hair is long so pretty much covered the clear strap anyway.
Reply 2
not comfortable at all,.
Reply 3
Perhaps something like this would work? Pretty expensive though...
This is quite good: http://www.ultimo.co.uk/shop/diamante-back-bra-234

It's not strictly "backless" but it would look like part of the dress design. I had one before my bra size got too big to use one and it was quite good :smile:
Reply 5
I've had the same problem being a 34E but I bought a strapless dress for prom last year and was determined to find the perfect bra!
You should try the wonderbra 'ultimate strapless' (I think that's the name), it has support that's supposed to act like hands or something (which I know sounds creepy), but yeah, I recommend it to all my friends (actually I may be a little obsessed :s-smilie:) but I think it's awesome!
Reply 6
Ahh, that diamante bra would be perfect if they did it in a DD!

Does anyone know a shop that does clear-back bras in DD+ sizes? I have yet to find anywhere that goes higher than a D. :/
Original post by LadyRowena
Ahh, that diamante bra would be perfect if they did it in a DD!

Does anyone know a shop that does clear-back bras in DD+ sizes? I have yet to find anywhere that goes higher than a D. :/

Oh sorry I meant to say - the sizes come up quite big so you should find that it fits fine! :smile: (I always buy strapless a size smaller by choice anyway as they usually stretch and slip down after a couple of uses otherwise). If it doesn't you can end back but I doubt you'd have a problem as long as you gave yourself a chance to "break it in" a bit.
not comfortable at all
Reply 9
I'd go and get a fitting done.

I went to Debenhams (I think?) and told them what kind of bra I needed - just strapless - and we tried on a few different styles, and they helped find the best one for my dress and for my size.

I think that might be your best option. Take a picture of your dress so they can see how it needs to hold you, and then go and ask about which bra to get. I assume you'll probably need to go and have a fitting for the dress at some point? So if you make sure you have your bra by then, you can wear it, and they might be able to take the dress in a bit more so that the dress can support you too :smile:
Oh also, forgot to mention - you can get bra cups sewn into the dress with a little clippy thing between them to give you some extra support if you don't find anything else :smile:
They're never comfortable :no:
Where did you get the clear back one from? I'm a 34FF and really need a clear back bra

Quick Reply

Latest