Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I went to an Oxbridge Student conference today, and one of the tutors said that it is possible to not study for a degree in languages, but still keep up with studying a modern foreign language informally. I was wondering whether anyone had any more information about this? And I was also wondering whether any other university outside of Oxbridge offers anything similar?

Any replies would be helpful, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Lol, even Swansea offers that. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    It's very common at major universities. Leicester, for example, offers the "Languages at Leicester" program, where you can study a large range of languages (Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Arabic) at a basic or intermediate level, and a few languages (French, Spanish, Italian, German) at a higher level as well as lower levels.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can take courses at the Language Centre, some of my friends are doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replies guys.

(Original post by Bezzler)
    Yeah, you can take courses at the Language Centre, some of my friends are doing it.
    ^ This - a number of colleges will refund you half or even all of the fees for the course on its successful completion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suuuuuuseh)
    ^ This - a number of colleges will refund you half or even all of the fees for the course on its successful completion
    Thank you. Do you have to pay for the courses then? If so, how much would they cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British_Student^^)
    Thank you. Do you have to pay for the courses then? If so, how much would they cost?
    http://www.lang.ox.ac.uk/courses/index.html

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends who studies History and French studies languages outside of his degree (Latin and Welsh) and he really enjoys it, although it has impacted on his ability to complete work for his degree subjects. He's not the most organised, but it's worth bearing in mind that you might not have time..

If it's a relatively main stream language like French or Spanish, there are societies that run conversation evenings in G&Ds and places, which are a good way of keeping up a spoken language and probably much more relaxed!

ReputationRep:
    There are an awful lot of societies which include language activities/lessons.
    Have a look round at fresher's fair.

I for one joined the Japanese society for a lifetime fee of £20, which includes lessons. Bargain.
    Sadly these days I don't have the time or inclination to go.

I've also been to a few of the French society's meets, where you can just mingle and chat.

Some societies, such as the German society organise lectures, excursions, and all sorts as well (if I remember correctly).

I don't know about doing languages as part of a degree course. It'd probably be worth contacting your tutors/academic administrators about that.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.