Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Year in industry . . Been offered a job in AUSTRALIA, help needed!!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Im currently in my second year at university and i have applied to do a year in industry!

I had a skype interview with this man in Australia concerning a marketing and events internship.. sounds amazing the only problem is that the salary is only rougly £3k. They dont pay for flights, visas NOTHING. It is also a 8.30-5 job for 12 months!!

It sounds like an amazing oppertunity, there is already a girl from my uni there at the moment and she loves it!! The only thing that is stopping me from accepting is the small salary!!!

Anyone know how much it roughly costs to live in AUStralia and general advice pleaseeee

thankss xxx

ReputationRep:
    Oh and they offered me the job, forgot to mention that minor bit of info xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cnsbabe)
    Oh and they offered me the job, forgot to mention that minor bit of info xxx
    Surely you're being PAID to live in australia for a year, boost your CV profoundly and have an incredible experience!

I realise on the face of it the salary looks awful, but think of the long term!
    That will boost your job opportunities so much, and you'll never regret going you'll have the time of your life

ReputationRep:
    do you not even get accomadation or anything? Sounds like you will essentially be paying for this experience, with no money to enjoy the life out there at all - in which case surely you could find similar internships/experience in the UK, without having to shell out 1000s extra to participate..

ReputationRep:
    What? 3000?

Your basically paying to work with them, that's pathetic.

Your going to potentially have to find some other way to earn money, or go through savings etc, to even be able to live over there.

If you have a choice, go soemwhere else, somewhere that pays a normal amount.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what i was thinking, I dont think im financially stable enought to accept.However, i would be getting my student loan so i will be living how i am now, and thats fine!! I just dont know whether im being really naive about the whole situation or whether i should just jump at the chance hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how well you think you will be able to cope - considering you are still at university, the experience will boost your cv and add the extra finishing touch to your interviews in the future. In this climate, anything to make you stand out is a miracle. Personally, I would go but think it through, weigh up the odds. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Okay... I used to deliberate over making choices, until I had a lot of unfortunate events happen which made me realise that life is short and to make decisions that you feel instinctively, hence why I'm transferring Uni's amongst other stuff. I would take the opportunity in Australia in a heartbeat. Just make sure you have money saved to one side for a flight back if you need to get back quickly, and an emergency fund for food/bills/rent. So might be best to get a job between now and when you are due to go to top up your funds. Look up where the job is and what general prices are for rent/food etc.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.