Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've already applied to Uni for Learning Disability nursing as I did some volunteer work and really enjoyed it. However, since hearing more about the Mental Health branch I don't know whether to change, also I have a sister with Social Phobia and my Mum's got Manic depression and I enjoy looking after them. also we've been covering mental health problems in Psychology such as schizophrenia and I find it really interesting.

But I don't know if I could do mental health nursing as I'm quite shy - but lots of people say they're shy at the beginning and this would apply to learning disability nursing too.

However, I've already applied to LD nursing so would I be able to change? Although I don't know whether to as I'm still not sure but want to before it's too late.

Also, isn't the first year the foundation year so you can change in the second, but do all Uni's in the UK do this??

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warcado)
    I've already applied to Uni for Learning Disability nursing as I did some volunteer work and really enjoyed it. However, since hearing more about the Mental Health branch I don't know whether to change, also I have a sister with Social Phobia and my Mum's got Manic depression and I enjoy looking after them. also we've been covering mental health problems in Psychology such as schizophrenia and I find it really interesting.

But I don't know if I could do mental health nursing as I'm quite shy - but lots of people say they're shy at the beginning and this would apply to learning disability nursing too.

However, I've already applied to LD nursing so would I be able to change? Although I don't know whether to as I'm still not sure but want to before it's too late.

Also, isn't the first year the foundation year so you can change in the second, but do all Uni's in the UK do this??

Thanks in advance
    My ex girlfriend went to study mental health nursing, I remember her saying everyone does the first year as a core year, and you pick your speciality from there. You might be better off calling the university you applied to, and asking them whats cracking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warcado)

Thanks in advance
    All universities do some form of common foundation programme where everyone covers the same stuff, some places actually make you cover each area of nursing in this year whilst other expect you to find these exposures in more branch specific placements (specific to your chosen branch I mean). You can have the opportunity to opt for a different branch at the end of the first year, however it will depend on whether there is room in the group you want to move to. There would be no harm in contacting the admission tutors for where you have applied to see if you can change to the mental health branch if thats what you really want.

With reference to your shyness, one of the most if not THE most important skill in nursing is commmunication, more so in mental health or learning disabilities. Yes people struggle at first through being shy, but with a bit of experience on placement (and you tend to feel different when you have your student nurse hat on IFYKWIM) it comes a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    as said above, most universities will let you change if you really want to after the first year, however it depends on if there is space for you in the course you want to transfer to.

about the shyness i wouldnt worry too much, im quite shy until i get to really know people, but when on the ward/placement you just have to push yourself to talk to people and you do find it becomes easier as the placement goes on (the first placement i couldnt sign off communication and confidence sections of my book because i was very nervous, but now in my second placement (which was only a few weeks later) i am improving a lot and should be able to sign them off, so once you get used to working with patients it does start to come more naturally to you.
    good luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies they've been really helpful!
    And I do hear about a lot of people who applied for nursing and were shy but nursing helped them so I feel like nursing will help me develop my confidence and I was very shy when I was younger so I feel I've developed more confidence already.

Something I'd like to ask if any of you are still around is.. I'm concerned that I've only had a couple of weeks volunteering whereas other applicants have had years, was there anyone on your courses in this situation and did it affect them?

ReputationRep:
    I had no healthcare experience before I started my course, volunteering or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay that makes me feel more positive moonkatt, thanks very much for the quick reply :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.