Turn on thread page Beta

I feel like I am too obsessed with going to the gym watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been working out in the gym for about 4 months now. initially it was hard to get motivated to go but as i have seen myself visibly gain muscle and look better in the mirror, as well as get stronger and able to lift more, i have become obsessed. i dont want to go back to what i used to be - not particularly strong and a boringly average body.

i need to go to the gym once every 2 days and sometimes more. if i dont, i start to freak out and think i will lose muscle quickly. i literally cant let anything get in the way of me going to the gym.

it feels so good having a nice body and being strong, and i am so much more confident than i was before working out. but at the same time, i freak out LOADS if i cant go and never want myself to go back to how i was. i guess you could say i am a bit insecure because i think like this.

how can i stop thinking like this? and am i justified to think like this - will the body lose muscle as quickly as i think it will?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr pressure)
    i have been working out in the gym for about 4 months now. Initially it was hard to get motivated to go but as i have seen myself visibly gain muscle and look better in the mirror, as well as get stronger and able to lift more, i have become obsessed. I dont want to go back to what i used to be - not particularly strong and a boringly average body.

I need to go to the gym once every 2 days and sometimes more. If i dont, i start to freak out and think i will lose muscle quickly. I literally cant let anything get in the way of me going to the gym.

It feels so good having a nice body and being strong, and i am so much more confident than i was before working out. But at the same time, i freak out loads if i cant go and never want myself to go back to how i was. I guess you could say i am a bit insecure because i think like this.

How can i stop thinking like this? And am i justified to think like this - will the body lose muscle as quickly as i think it will?
    wear a muscle suit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alia)
    wear a muscle suit
    a serious suggestion please, you idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm
    You need to remember that your muscles are growing outside the gym when you are resting
    If you've been going once every 2 days for the past 4 months, your probably not maximising your true muscle growth potential...

And no, as long as your providing your body with adequate calories & protein, your not going to lose muscle....

ReputationRep:
    I suppose there are worse things to be addicted to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr pressure)
    works fine for me...

ReputationRep:
    Just be thankful you're not SummerSofas.

ReputationRep:
    God, I wish I had your motivation!

if you want to maintain your current figure, it may be best to fall into some sort of steady routine instead of panicking about how many days you attend the gym Perhaps every few days, and then get some weights or equipment for use at home when you can't get to the gym?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbegers)
    Hmmm
    You need to remember that your muscles are growing outside the gym when you are resting
    If you've been going once every 2 days for the past 4 months, your probably not maximising your true muscle growth potential...

And no, as long as your providing your body with adequate calories & protein, your not going to lose muscle....
    this. muscles grow when resting not in the gym

(Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Just be thankful you're not SummerSofas.
    Some of his posts did make me laugh

ReputationRep:
    Start beating the bishop - then you'll be taking care of both addictions simultaneously :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    that's 3 or 4 times a week? It's a healthy habit and its not as if your going to the gym all day everyday. Just don't become obsessed with how muscley you are.
    There are so many people I think they must have the opposite to anorexia..
    Understand that physical fitness involves cardio too, it isn't for looks, and so try and swap one of the days you would want to do strength for cardio?
    I have rugby training twice a week, game once a week, and try to go to gym 3 times a week.
    I've only been to the gym once this week and I feel annoyed but just chill out, one can always go next week!

ReputationRep:
    oh and no you won't lose muscle quickly from missing the odd session.
    keep on eating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pressure)
    I think your the idiot if you can't find anything else productive in your life other than a gym.

ReputationRep:
    I have been working out in the gym for about 4 months now. initially it was hard to get motivated to go but as i have seen myself visibly gain muscle and look better in the mirror, as well as get stronger and able to lift more, i have become obsessed. i dont want to go back to what i used to be - not particularly strong and a boringly average body.

i need to go to the gym once every 2 days and sometimes more. if i dont, i start to freak out and think i will lose muscle quickly. i literally cant let anything get in the way of me going to the gym.

it feels so good having a nice body and being strong, and i am so much more confident than i was before working out. but at the same time, i freak out LOADS if i cant go and never want myself to go back to how i was. i guess you could say i am a bit insecure because i think like this.

how can i stop thinking like this? and am i justified to think like this - will the body lose muscle as quickly as i think it will?
    Bro I get this after about 3 days - my girlfriend stayed with me this week so no gym for 6 days ! was starting to freak out but I went today and having had a nice long rest was actually stronger for it - sometimes a week off can help as I find with gym 3 times a week and rugby 3 times a week it is a struggle to keep it up. Its really not a bad thing to be addicted to though

ReputationRep:
    Obsession is a word the LAZY use to describe the DEDICATED.

ReputationRep:
    so?

ReputationRep:

hey, i know exactly how you feel, ignore the stupid comments. I am currently having similar issues although being a girl i am not so concerned about the muscle but weight gain. I began uni struggling to motivate myself to go to the gym but now i can go anytime, some mornings i have to drag myself but once i am there i do my workout that i do. I would really try and set yourself a limit, say 4 times a week maximum and really try to stick to it. Your body does need rest days and your muscle wont go, maybe after a few weeks/months but not days. Think how long it took to get your body there, its not going to disappear in a day.

Thats all i can really say, i am not gyming today despite eating quite a lot yesterday but i know i need to get out of the cycle of over eating then burning it off and more at the gym as its just not healthy.

Try and find another activity you enjoy, arrange to meet with friends etc..?
    good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbegers)
    Hmmm

If you do a body split it isn't an issue

(Original post by u4m1r)
    Obsession is a word the LAZY use to describe the DEDICATED.
    This, I train 6 times a week as I'm motivated and dedicated

ReputationRep:
    just dislocated my shoulder, has to be in a sling for 6 weeks so no gym or training, that's what i call annoying!

ReputationRep:
    Break your legs and claim insurance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.