Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My neighbour is a sponger despite being far better off, what to do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Its not student accomodation, I live in private flats(though I am student)

I am a part time student and on benefits whereas he works full time and wears quite expensive clothes just to give you an idea of differences in income,

Anyway 18 days ago I spent about 6 hours repairing his laptop and didnt ask for money(though it would be good to be friends just in case I have problems with anyone in future)

At the time he knew I have internet so asked to pay half each month(which is only £6 but a lot to me) and yet he has made not a single bit of effort to pay, but a few times has knocked on my door for help with a few faults on his laptop

Also 6 weeks ago he asked to borrow my old CRT which I left in hallway of building for like 8 months as its too heavy to carry (takes a few regular people) so I said he could borrow it for 2 weeks on the basis he will take it up to my flat as its too heavy to lift on own.

I only loaned it to him for that reason (to save me hiring someone to lift it up stairs for me) plus he told me his tv is broken.

Anyway I found out he has 3 massive tvs(about 32 inch each) in each room and he admitted he only wanted mine as it was a Sony(and top of the range like 6 or 7 years ago.

So it seems he is sponging off me, which I feel is even worse when he is working full time and I am unemployed and struggling with money!

What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    What planet do you live on?

ReputationRep:
    Erm okay, here's an idea.
    DON'T LET HIM SPONGE OFF YOU. MAN UP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    Erm okay, here's an idea.
    DON'T LET HIM SPONGE OFF YOU. MAN UP.
    Because thats sooooooo easy isnt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    'No sir, you can't have my TV'
    'You have to pay your half'
    'I can't fix your laptop for free'

I smile at my neighbours and sign for their deliveries, but jesus ****ing christ, there is no need to be your neighbours *****.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I think I see now. You are a bath, and your possessions represent the water. He is a sponge absorbing all of the water (your possessions) to contain within himself. Well modern science (TV) will tell us that sponges, in their natural habitat at least (under the sea), seem to like partaking in nautical nonsense, so just buy him a pineapple or something and he will get off your back.

ReputationRep:
    ask for CRT back and stop moaning about how unfair the world is. You ahve no idea his personal circumstances, just beacuse you work fulltime doesnt mean hes flush with cash.

Just say no, its not exactly hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    ask for CRT back and stop moaning about how unfair the world is. You ahve no idea his personal circumstances, just beacuse you work fulltime doesnt mean hes flush with cash.

Just say no, its not exactly hard
    Nice, so you dont know my personal circumstances yet somehow automatically want to side with him? how does that work.

I never insinuated that he was flush with cash because he works full time, I do from him having expensive clothes(and he keeps buying more) and I never mentioned in OP but he makes quite a few bets at bookies quite a few times a week.

So tell me again how I have no idea of his personal circumstances.

Why do you assume I havent asked for the CRT back? why do you assume I am moaning about how unfair the world is?

Such a shame thse days that people jump down another persons throat about the slightest issue and act as if the person they jump down the throat of is the one with the issues.

ReputationRep:
    Nice, so you dont know my personal circumstances yet somehow automatically want to side with him? how does that work.

I never insinuated that he was flush with cash because he works full time, I do from him having expensive clothes(and he keeps buying more) and I never mentioned in OP but he makes quite a few bets at bookies quite a few times a week.

Why do you assume I havent asked for the CRT back? why do you assume I am moaning about how unfair the world is?

Such a shame thse days that people jump down another persons throat about the slightest issue and act as if the person they jump down the throat of is the one with the issues.
    Simple, i dont know his circumstances i do know what you have said and how your complaining,

as for why i assume its because you didnt say, you said he asked to borrow it, you said nothing about asking for it back

ReputationRep:
    and yes - yes it is

can you fix my laptop?

no - "insert random excuse here"

easy

ReputationRep:
    Make an excuse next time he asks for something that will make a huge cost for you. Or just be honest. If money is so much on your mind, then surely you should be able to be open with him about it.
    It can sometimes be difficult to know exactly how much others have to spend - I can imagine he doesn't make much of it when the numbers are so small. I have been in this situation before, when a female friend complained about coming to my place because it cost altogether 3 euros one way with bus and train. That honestly didn't cross my mind before she mentioned it.

ReputationRep:
    and yes - yes it is

can you fix my laptop?

no - "insert random excuse here"

easy
    Ah but that was before I thought he was a scrounger and then I was just doing a neighbour a favour and I couldnt know at that point he wouldnt be grateful.

So if he asks for anything else now of course I will say no, but the thread was about what to do about things that have already happened and ways to get what I am owed.

Simple, i dont know his circumstances i do know what you have said and how your complaining,

as for why i assume its because you didnt say, you said he asked to borrow it, you said nothing about asking for it back
    But you should of assumed I had due to logic, I dont have to explain every potential situation do I? Else the opening post would of been massive and people would of said it was too long and they didnt read it or such information is irrelevant(have had people say that before)

Whats wrong with complaining in the situation?

ReputationRep:

I am a part time student and on benefits whereas he works full time and wears quite expensive clothes just to give you an idea of differences in income,

Anyway 18 days ago I spent about 6 hours repairing his laptop and didnt ask for money(though it would be good to be friends just in case I have problems with anyone in future)

At the time he knew I have internet so asked to pay half each month(which is only £6 but a lot to me) and yet he has made not a single bit of effort to pay, but a few times has knocked on my door for help with a few faults on his laptop

Also 6 weeks ago he asked to borrow my old CRT which I left in hallway of building for like 8 months as its too heavy to carry (takes a few regular people) so I said he could borrow it for 2 weeks on the basis he will take it up to my flat as its too heavy to lift on own.

I only loaned it to him for that reason (to save me hiring someone to lift it up stairs for me) plus he told me his tv is broken.

Anyway I found out he has 3 massive tvs(about 32 inch each) in each room and he admitted he only wanted mine as it was a Sony(and top of the range like 6 or 7 years ago.

So it seems he is sponging off me, which I feel is even worse when he is working full time and I am unemployed and struggling with money!

What would you do?
    Get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    Get a job.
    You offering?

ReputationRep:

To be honest what do you expect by posting your problems on a forum? Obviously no one is going to know your personal circumstances, but they are giving opinions based on what you have said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecookiemonster)
    To be honest what do you expect by posting your problems on a forum? Obviously no one is going to know your personal circumstances, but they are giving opinions based on what you have said.
    I expect a bit more of a detachment from picking one side or another and an actual reply to the question instead of automatic assumptions.

ReputationRep:

What would you do?
    What benefits are you on? Maybe he feels the exact same way about you when he pays his taxes. Why are you studying part-time if you don't have a job or anything else?

ReputationRep:

What would you do?
    If you can't beat 'em, join'em!

ReputationRep:
    OP must stand for Obvious Pussy in this instance.

He has your CRT? Yes.

You want it back? Yes.

Solution

Tell him to give it back and if he doesn't make him need CPR. Hey, it worked for Al Capone.

WINNING!! :dance:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    OP must stand for Obvious Pussy in this instance.

He has your CRT? Yes.

You want it back? Yes.

Solution

Tell him to give it back and if he doesn't make him need CPR. Hey, it worked for Al Capone.

WINNING!! :dance:
    Lol someone ressurected my old thread which is funny since yesterday he smashed in a neighbours front door to the point of putting holes through door and eventually unlocking it that way then ransacking the other neighbours flat as he promised to find some weed.

So I am not a pussy in the situation that this guy is totally insane(hes a bloomin body builder for christ sakes)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.