Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im coming towards the end of year 12 and i need to make some decisions next year.
    I currently do Maths, Business Studies, ICT and General Studies.
    I'm going to drop general studies for next year so I only have it as an AS.
    Now my question is, will I still stand a chance of getting into decent uni's with General as an AS? Most Uni's that I look at say that they dont accept General Studies, but does this mean that they dont accept it only for A2?
    If you guys think that most Uni's wont allow the General Studies as an AS, i might pick up a new AS level next year, so by the end of sixth form i'll have, A2 Maths, ICT, Business---- AS GS, 'another subject'.
    Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    none.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good. How about Further Maths? If you're good at maths that is. Further Maths is the best subject imo to take at only AS. If you were going to go all the way to A2 it would be a different story.

ReputationRep:
    Most unis accept a pass in any subject at AS

ReputationRep:
    Some universities do require a 4 AS level and sometimes they will accept general studies as the 4th AS level if you do not have another subject to offer them. This was the case with UCL when I applied, although I don't know if it is the case now. Other universities only want 3 A levels so as long as you do fine in these subjects you'll be fine with just general studies.

Check the entrance requirements for everywhere before you make your final decisions. Alternatively, you could pick up another subject at AS level if you found yourself wanting to apply to somewhere needing a 4th AS excluding general studies

ReputationRep:
    Only a few ask for the fourth AS but it is usually seen as an advantage (grade dependent) if youre worried then take up another AS alongside your A2s to be safe

ReputationRep:
    York, Sheffield and Leicester accept it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Some universities do require a 4 AS level and sometimes they will accept general studies as the 4th AS level if you do not have another subject to offer them. This was the case with UCL when I applied, although I don't know if it is the case now. Other universities only want 3 A levels so as long as you do fine in these subjects you'll be fine with just general studies.

Check the entrance requirements for everywhere before you make your final decisions. Alternatively, you could pick up another subject at AS level if you found yourself wanting to apply to somewhere needing a 4th AS excluding general studies
    Thanks, I'll get some advice from teachers towards the end of the year

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.