Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear All,

I am currently doing my dissertation on how the state of the UK economy affects the rate of construction accidents from 1986-2009.

I have the following data (all spanning from 1986-2009):
    • GDP figures from ONS

• 3 types of injury data (fatal, major, over 3 day) separated by full time and self employed workers (so thats 6 in total).

I want to compare each type of injury data against the GDP in order to find out the economies affect on the rate of each type of accident.

The main problems i have are:
    • Defining the variables? i want to say that the GDP is the dependant variable as it is constant in every test and that the type of injury/employment is the independant variable?

• I have no clue whatsoever as to what tests i should carry out (ideally i would like to do 2 different tests for each set of injury/employment data) What tests can you recommend i look at?

I have never used spss, however after watching youtube videos and reading books on SPSS, i have input the data on the SPSS data sheet to the best of my ability. I have attached the SPSS file for your reference. i hope the spss part will be easier when i know what i am doing!

I am at my wits end as it is holiday time at uni so there is nobody around to ask and i want to get these stats and tests out of the way so i can get onto analysing them!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tom

ReputationRep:
    The 3 types of injury are from a "categorical variable", so too is the employment status (full or part time).
    So you could use contingency tables (chi-squared test) to find any evidence of dependency.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply,

im sat in my uni library now so i will give that a try. Was i right in what i said about the dependant and independant variables?

and any other tests i could try?

ReputationRep:
    bump

im actually willing to pay via paypal for anyone who can help.

so if you have spss and fancy looking at my table, and earning yourself a tenner for helping me out a bit let me know.

i really need the help that much!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.