Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT When to take it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm hopefully going to apply for medicine 2012 entry and wondering whether I can have to chances at the UKCAT, by this I mean can I take it in the summer and also October and have two chances. Is this allowed and would the best grade go forward. Any help would be very much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Registration opens in May (i think) and needs to be done before the application send off date (October 15th). You can only do it once per year, and cannot be retaken until next year if you reapply.

ReputationRep:
    You can only take it once each cycle. I'd recommend taking it over the summer. Don't do what I did and take it in October!

ReputationRep:
    Wait till August at least.

There's no point in taking it straight away. Especially if you're waiting for predicted grades,
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Take it before the end of August for two good reasons:

1) It allows you to think about your result in plenty of time and apply smartly (ie low UKCAT = avoid sheffield)

2) More importantly the cost to take the exam goes up after august, for me it was £60 originally, but if you took the test in september onwards it was £75

Though the price might be slightly different this year the principles remain :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)

1) It allows you to think about your result in plenty of time and apply smartly (ie low UKCAT = avoid sheffield)

2) More importantly the cost to take the exam goes up after august, for me it was £60 originally, but if you took the test in september onwards it was £75

Though the price might be slightly different this year the principles remain :yep:
    This - last year I did it really early, which meant that actually I didn't have a lot of time to work for it. This year I'm planning on taking it about a week before results day. This should give me enough time to consider my score and work out where my chances are best based on this, and then on results day, I'll be able to confirm my choices for where to apply.

Don't leave it too late though, since you will have to pay a higher fee for it (can't remember when that starts) and you'll have less time to sort out where you are going to apply

ReputationRep:
    My daughter had booked the test for August last year, paying £60, but the week before felt she needed more time to practice, and knowing how important the score was, she re-booked for begining October and payed the extra £15.
    She used the book 'get into medical school 600 ukcat questions'. She got a average score of 680 and was fortunate to get offers for 4 med schools.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Or scrap that and just be really lazy and sit it on the same day as the deadline. Like I did. :mmm:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Beska)
    Or scrap that and just be really lazy and sit it on the same day as the deadline. Like I did. :mmm:
    Oh Beska, you be crazy :ahee:

Would you recommend others to be lazy and procrastinate it as much as possible? :eyeball:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh Beska, you be crazy :ahee:

Would you recommend others to be lazy and procrastinate it as much as possible? :eyeball:
    Making me out to be the bad guy....
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Beska)
    Making me out to be the bad guy....
    Welln it's your turn :dontknow:

But nah, in some way you were lucky that you did well on the UKCAT since leaving it that late could have gone really badly :erm:
    Others may not be so lucky :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I did the same this year. Only booked it on the weekend before as well.

Only made it to the test centre with 2 minutes to spare too.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it would be madness to take it early? I am out if the country for the whole summer so I need to either take it before I go or when I get back.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by protozoa)
    Do you think it would be madness to take it early? I am out if the country for the whole summer so I need to either take it before I go or when I get back.
    Early? You mean as soon as it opens or whatever?

No that's fine - no disadvantage at all. Just make sure you practice beforehand!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by protozoa)
    As long as you prep for it, it doesn't really matter. It doesn't need that much prep anyway.

However, say if you were doing your AS exams, took the UKCAT immediately afterwards and were to find out in August that you didn't get grades that your teachers believe warrants an AAA prediction, it'd be a waste of £60. I've known that to have happened a few times, so I always suggest that people wait for results first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    As long as you prep for it, it doesn't really matter. It doesn't need that much prep anyway.

However, say if you were doing your AS exams, took the UKCAT immediately afterwards and were to find out in August that you didn't get grades that your teachers believe warrants an AAA prediction, it'd be a waste of £60. I've known that to have happened a few times, so I always suggest that people wait for results first.
    This.

I took it as early as I could last year - I wanted it out the way as quickly as possible. This year I'll be booking it for just after the exam results.

I would be totally gutted if I didn't get my results

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with procrastination. :awesome: But sitting in August/early September is ideal, IMO, because it doesn't sap focus away from your AS exams, while giving you a bit of prep time if you want it. I sat mine the day before I started A2.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.