Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who has self taught themselves the guitar and succeeded? watch

ReputationRep:
    Advice? Tips? How do I begin? Is is difficult?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently teaching myself

These articles are quite helpful, particularly for the very basic stuff. It teaches you chords, scales, strumming, fingerpicking, and other bits and pieces.

You can find lots of video tutorials on Youtube, although the ones I've seen are better to use once you know a little bit and have learnt the chords.

Once you know some basics, I found it easier just to go straight into playing tabs. They're very easy to read (although if you click about on the link up there, you'll find guides to understanding them too), and it's much more satisfying to play bits of a song that you know rather than just chords over and over again.

If you know someone else who plays the guitar, it'd be worth asking them to show you a few things. Boyfriend plays too, and is happy to talk me through playing some things ("this finger there...that finger there..."), as I've found it easier to learn when I'm shown it first. Make sure the person has a bit of patience though!

Good luck!

Edited to add: You'll need a guitar too (obviously!), and a tuner, and an amp if it's electric. Don't splash out too wildly on one though - get a cheapish one (mine was about £100 including an amp, tuner and spare set of strings, which is the standard sort of package that lots of places sell) to start you off.

ReputationRep:
    Define 'succeeded'? My brother taught himself and he knows vaguely the strum sounds and stuff but he's not like awesomely good at it or anything..

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself to a fairly competent standard. Youtube (I recommend Justin Sandercoe) was very useful but it's all about practice and getting your hands and fingers used to playing the guitar. At first I found it difficult to strum certain patterns and change to certain chords. Build up slowly (for example slowly try changing from a G chord to a C chord and back again) and after a while your chord changes will become second nature.

It's a bit of an overused cliché but practice = results. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I tried for a few months and failed.

My friend spent a half term teaching himself and was a pro when he came back to college... -.-

ReputationRep:
    can i try learning to play a song like ummm "hey there Delilah" if i know NOTHING about the guitar?

ReputationRep:
    I'm self taught, and have played a couple of "gigs" before, so I figure that's definable as succeeded.
    Youtube, Ultimate-Guitar, and getting yourself a manual are the best routes. I have this one (though three years old now aha) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Lea...1689670&sr=8-1
    It covers everything in okay detail, and is a great starting point.

ReputationRep:
    You can self teach pretty much anything, just takes time and dedication. Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahT94)
    can i try learning to play a song like ummm "hey there Delilah" if i know NOTHING about the guitar?
    This is the tab for it.
    If you look at the guitar on your knee, the 'e' shown on the tab is the first (thinnest string) closest to the floor. The 'E' is the sixth (thickest string) at the top.
    The number shows what fret your finger needs to be on, and the line it's on is the string that you need to play. So for the first note, you wouldn't have your fingers on the fretboard and you'd just pick the 4th string. Then for the next, you'd put your finger on the 2nd fret for the third string, and on the 3rd fret for the second string, and play those two strings.
    Und so weiter

ReputationRep:
    Im completely self taught, I have been playing guitar for about 1 1/2 years (I'm talking like serious playing not like picking it up once in a while)

I would seriously reccomend getting some sort of guitar introduction book or watching youtube videos.

Some key things to know of and possibly to learn/be familiar with (From a technical/practical perspective, NOT theoretical)

- Proper picking form
    - Building finger precision
    - Building muscle memory
    - Building finger strength
    - Getting generally familiar with a few styles of playing - Fingerpicking, flamenco (With pick) alternate or economic picking (whatever you prefer)

I seriously reccomend find some exercises (or creating your own) for the thigns above.

Being self taught is possible, and extremely rewarding because you can be all like "Yeah I'm a self taught guitarist *shred*", If you really like playing the guitar then teaching yourself isn't that hard, all the resources are there for you, there's loads of videos on youtube, guides on teh interwebz.

If you still don't believe me -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihqT1aA4Q88
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-Ro...eature=related

This guy is completely self-taught. I wouldn't reccomend trying to learn any of his stuff right when you start playing, because it's pretty complicated from a theoretical and technical/practical perspective, so you really need to have a good general base of knowledge of the guitar and good technical skill on the guitar to be able to learn his stuff.
    (The band is seriously awesome)

Anyways, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Some of the greatest Guitar players of all time are self taught
    I've been sent the link of a great Guitar learning Website by a Friend, it's called Justin.guitar something like that, and it's really easy - unfortunately my comp crashed and lost all info, so I don't actually have the link, but if you look it should be there, somewhere

I shall also be keeping an eye on this thread as my Dad is an ex-session Musician and an amazing Guitar player - but He rarely has time to teach me so I'll be brushing up on my Guitar by self teaching

Good Luck everyone learning to play the Guitar!!

ReputationRep:
    Started in 2005 and still playing, never had a lesson (though I've gave a few of my friends some lessons). Not sure how to define 'succeeded' but can play things such as Hendrix's Little Wing and All Along the Watchtower, and Cream's Crossroads, so that's good enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    I've self taught myself to an ok leve,l although I don't know many songs I'm alright on my chord changes and scales.

What kind of things is self-teaching NOT good for on the guitar would you say? i.e certain techniques that are harder to self-teach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)
    I've self taught myself to an ok leve,l although I don't know many songs I'm alright on my chord changes and scales.

What kind of things is self-teaching NOT good for on the guitar would you say? i.e certain techniques that are harder to self-teach?
    *bump*
    i want to know the answer too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    This is the tab for it.
    If you look at the guitar on your knee, the 'e' shown on the tab is the first (thinnest string) closest to the floor. The 'E' is the sixth (thickest string) at the top.
    The number shows what fret your finger needs to be on, and the line it's on is the string that you need to play. So for the first note, you wouldn't have your fingers on the fretboard and you'd just pick the 4th string. Then for the next, you'd put your finger on the 2nd fret for the third string, and on the 3rd fret for the second string, and play those two strings.
    Und so weiter
    Danke shoen =D .. i appreciate your help! i'll try my best ..

ReputationRep:
    Soon as I could read tab I just went from there. I just play as a hobby so I dont know anything about scales etc and tbh I dont want to. I just play what i like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeC)

Nothing is specifically harder to teach just maybe slightly more tricky or complicated. You can learn anything you want when you are teaching yourself all you need are the resources. (Which are definitely out there)

That being said, everything might be hard or tricky at first, but then when you learn it it will seem completely easy. Then once you've learnt that when you try learning other things that has a similar technique it will also become easier to learn, then so on so forth.

ReputationRep:
    I am self-taught and despite being far from very good, it doesn't sound terrible by any means and has allowed me to get a lot of enjoyment out of my guitar. Lessons are a very helpful assistance in keeping you playing regularly through preparation and structuring your learning, but these are both things that you can do alone with the right approach. Make sure to challenge yourself with what you find difficult and take the time to learn some music theory rather than relying entirely on tablature from the internet - not that it isn't a useful tool.

The books from Learn to Play Music are the very best available if you are self-teaching, in my opinion. They do some excellent 'complete manuals' which are obviously more expensive, but very well-structured and enjoyable to learn from. I recommend you have a look, they were a good help to me.

ReputationRep:
    I am self taught too and from my experience, the learning starts once I've overcome the 'finger pain' barrier. I started off with 'Simply Guitar' by Steve Mackay which really helped me with playing chords and quickly switching from one chord to another. Then from there I just used tabs and got interested in the blues stuff. A good site that I find useful is http://www.justinguitar.com/, most of the lessons are free and ranges from beginner to intermediate level. It also teaches music theory, which is actually quite interesting and extremely useful if you really get into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonelink)
    Soon as I could read tab I just went from there. I just play as a hobby so I dont know anything about scales etc and tbh I dont want to. I just play what i like
    ^THIS. As long as it sounds right it's fine. Been playing for a year self-taught and can play quite a few songs xD

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.