Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who has self taught themselves the guitar and succeeded? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm almost entirely self taught (well, for the last 8 years almost)
    It's possible, but I would suggest you get some help in getting the very basics. Once you get a kickstart and a small amount of theory you have all you need to progress on your own.
    The internet in your friend!
    A couple of examples of the (not entirely polished to perfection) videos I've uploaded:

Both songs I can play better now - just takes more practice.

ReputationRep:
    i took lessons for 3 years and then self taught, if you have the commitment then it's definitely possible. Though the one thing i can't do is pinch harmonics..they just don't squeel right :'( which sucks because i wanna play all these pantera songs, and dime throws in loads of them!

but yeah, totally can self teach!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Elise713)
    i took lessons for 3 years and then self taught, if you have the commitment then it's definitely possible. Though the one thing i can't do is pinch harmonics..they just don't squeel right :'( which sucks because i wanna play all these pantera songs, and dime throws in loads of them!

Try bending the note up and down very quickly as you play - that seems to help them ring out better when I do them.
    They take quite a bit of time to be able to do them consistently (and I can't do them 100% of the time now...more like 90-95%) but they a fun way of adding you improvised solos.

Though sometimes I get a little too addicted to them

ReputationRep:
    pretty sure john lennon did

jimi hendrix did

ReputationRep:
    Learn how to read tabs. (It's not that hard; takes a few minutes if you read an online tutorial or just ask someone who plays guitar.)
    Find the tabs for an easy song you like. (There are lots of good tab sites available.)
    Practice lots so you get used to the awkward hand positions and build up muscle strength in your fingers.

That's about it really.
    Having a friend who plays guitar to help you out a little bit and keep you motivated is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    If by succeeded you mean had fun then sure.

I've been at it for about 3 years now, I think I'm getting somewhere, I can play some reasonably complex things quite well but I'm definitely still just bedroom rocker material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elise713)

When I first tried it seems to squeal the most at the 7th/5th fret, picking near the bridge pickup Only problem nowadays is with the thinnest string, squeal's not loud enough

ReputationRep:
    I've been playing self-taught for a year and a half. Look up how to read tabs (which is pretty easy) and then just pick a song you like and play it.

ReputationRep:
    Most of 'succeeding' at guitar comes from continued playing/'practising' of guitar. Something that the individual does.

ReputationRep:
    Self taught myself the bass guitar. Once i got the basics of plucking, muting(very important playing finger style bass), and getting my fingers in the right place and my finger strength built up, i learnt all the scales, and chords, especially pentatonic scales and blue scales, which allows me to make up some catchy stuff on the trot.

Also playing a fretless bass allows me to be slightly inaccurate and call it "personal style"

ReputationRep:
    I've taught myself the bass, though I played piano for a few years a while back.

Good tips are to have a look at tabs, try to get a grip with some of the notes on the fretboard, maybe some scales if you really want to get into it - they do actually help you when it comes to fitting different notes together and so on. And challenge yourself, don't stick with something you're comfortable playing. Joining a band (if that's your thing) is a great way of learning really quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, totally self taught. I think I'm a good guitarist now, though changing style dramatically over the last year or so has meant I've gone backwards a little bit... I'm about to change again soon too! Getting a 7 string so I can learn some Periphery and Chimpspanner! Hell yes!

ReputationRep:
    well i've got grade 7 distinction in classical guitar and i basically taught myself. my teachers have been nice but i can't say they've really taught me anything a couldn't have discovered myself chords and stuff i definitely taught myself!

ReputationRep:
    Use youtube - guitar is pretty straightforward as far as instruments go so there's no point wasting your money on a teacher youtube is the best tool known to mankind

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its fairly easy wiht all the content on the internet nowadays. I recommend justinguitar.com (Justin Sandercoe). Just make sure you start from the beginning and don't get ahead of yourself jumping straight into complex songs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Yup, totally self taught. I think I'm a good guitarist now, though changing style dramatically over the last year or so has meant I've gone backwards a little bit... I'm about to change again soon too! Getting a 7 string so I can learn some Periphery and Chimpspanner! Hell yes!
    Forget Periphery, try learning "On Impulse" or "The Price of Everything and the Value of Nothing" By Animals as Leaders.

Awesome songs.

ReputationRep:
    Er, Clapton, Slash, Les Paul, Keith Richards, some of the world's top guitarists are self-taught.

There's a difference though between being self-taught and just messing around on the guitar. If you are disciplined, it's easy to self teach especially today with the internet - tab, online tutorial videos, guitar tab pro etc. I think the only real downside is not having someone to jam with, because that teaches you things you just can't learn by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    In the process!! <3

ReputationRep:
    i only taught myself a few chords, scales, and songs,

but most of what i have learned was through being taught by my father who works as musician :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    i've vaaaaguely tried to teach myself, with the tab shiz e.g. ultimateguitar... but the thing is i have really small hands (i can only JUST reach an octave on the piano) and the guitar i have is this classical guitar with a wide long bit, so it limits me i think. i know all the normal easy chords though e.g. C major G major D major A minor E minor and F... which a LOOOOTTTTT of songs use. so that's ok. i like coming up with different strumming patterns etc. but for now all i can really play confidently is stuff using just those chords. i wish i was better. but i aint.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.