Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A-level essay subject students: Do you finish exams in time? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Checking answers? What's that? It went out the window after GCSE, except for in a handful of exams. Psychology was the biggest rush to get finished, I ended up leaving out a few points that I had planned and rushing to finish a conclusion.

I had time to check one Economics paper because I ran out of things to say on the data response. Needless to say, it was the joint worst I ever did on an A2 paper. Also had time to check my Business A2 paper. For some reason I found it easier to finish in time because the constant writing was broken up by calculations.

ReputationRep:
    Finished my A2 Psychology right on time. However I slacked off a bit in between. But I managed to write all I could and even got to review all my answers. Came out with a respectable A in that paper and a B overall. AS was a bit different though...Sort of ran out of time in the end.

The technique I followed was to give myself exact time for each question, like, "I've got 10 minutes to finish this question". I'd usually finish each question in the time slot I provided myself. Another thing was to leave any question I started to get stuck on. Like if I could no longer think of anything to write...I left some space and moved on. Then came to that question in the end.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I finished on time, in fact often with a lot ot time to spare. Usually because I got bored or just couldn't be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    Geography - finished my mock with a few minutes to spare, if I had revised more I could probably have written more/better

History - I generally finish on time but it depends on how deep my knowledge is, what the question is etc.

ReputationRep:
    At AS I didn't have a big problem finishing on time in History, Politics & RS, but I did for Psychology.

At A2 I didn't finish any of my papers, doesn't always mean you have done badly though. I got 89 for Philosophy despite only having half an answer (it was two sided though).

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing EnglishLit + Psychology and I usually end up with just a couple of minutes leftover at the end, and don't ever bother even trying to check over the pages of writing in that short amount of time
    I guess to cope with the time constraints I just write as quick as possible, although it makes my writing look ridiculously bad

ReputationRep:
    In English Lit, I find I have enough time (atleast in the practise exams I've done, I haven't taken my ASs yet), and finish with 5 minutes to spare, but History on the other hand is a real *****... I have to really rush to finish, and can never write an answer at my best standard because I have no time to plan, think about or check my answer :|

ReputationRep:
    Economics: I finished with plenty of time to spare
    Business: very pushed for time - made a total mess of the last question but still ended with a high B

ReputationRep:
    Do be honest, i never have fininshed with spare time. I usually check while i'm actually doing each part, i tend to try and put as many points then evaluation as I can before time runs out, then i still carry on for Economics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.