Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't heard of this before here is the website:

http://www.lmsspotlights.com/

(I think I'm allowed to post that? I'm not trying to advertise in any way)

Basically it's something called red light treatment which is used to treat acne. I don't have particularly bad skin but I do generally have one or two awful spots which hurt and are unsightly and can take one or two weeks to go down so I was considering buying the smallest size one which is £29.99. I have tried cleansers toners etc. I drink lots of water, my skin care routine is good but I still get these stubborn spots.

I was wondering if anyone has tried it? What do you think? I'm kind of scared by it. I think it's new as I can't find many reviews about it and the reviews I can find I'm suspicious are people who have been given the product and so are giving favourable reviews. I'm tempted to try it though because £30 isn't that much especially as it's not going to run out and my skin is really getting me down at the moment. Should I?

ReputationRep:
    I've have one which uses red and blue light (simultaneously), called Lumie Clear.

Light therapy can work - in fact, it completely cleared my skin when all of the prescription meds I was allowed to take had failed. However, it's not something to scrimp on; only very specific wavelengths and frequencies of light can kill bacteria, and the low budget lightboxes are unlikely to meet the critera. This is partially because the correct LEDs (the blue ones) are very expensive, partially because getting the device tested and certified is very expensive, and partially because the technology used to create an effective acne lamp is covered by licenses which are also very expensive. If it works though you'll recoup the money as you won't need to pay for prescriptions and topical treatments any more - I spend literally nothing on my skin now, because I just use water and the Lumie.

I wouldn't advise you to try the lightbox you've linked to. Firstly, everything I've read says that red light just reduces inflammation (to make spots a bit smaller) whereas blue light at the right wavelength and frequency kills bacteria (to stop spots forming). Secondly, smaller lights increase treatment time specifically - it needs to be against the skin for 15 mins to treat existing spots and prevent new ones, so a light the size of your hand is necessary to treat half the face at a time.

I can personally recommend the light below and it's predominantly had good reviews online. It's more expensive but it's also more likely to work, and they give you a 30 day money-back period anyway to try it out

http://www.lumie.com/shop/products/clear

ReputationRep:
    I need to declare an interest as the MD of LMS Spotlights. I only intend to put a balanced view. Lumie is a fine product and I am not going to knock it.

LMS Spotlights use red light technology proven to clear spots. They have full medical CE approval for safety and efficacy. They use a very specific wavelength and power density. They only need to be used as little as one minute 3 times a day (not 15 minutes).

They have been built to specifications set by James Carroll; recognised by Harvard Medical School as a leading expert in red light therapy.

Blue light is ablative. It kills things. LMS Spotlights only use red light because it is non-ablative. It only stimulates healing; in that way the body's own healing abilities can sort out the bacteria. Red light stimulates the body's natural healing.

Lumie sells for around £150. LMS Spotlights start from under £30. With our friends and family discount code giving 20% off this reduces to below £24. Enter 1221d

Lumie is mains powered only. LMS Spotlights use regular batteries and can be used anywhere.

I want this to be helpful and informative. I restate that Lumie is a good product too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the code goldico, have just ordered my LMS 3 now wanted to avoid the products with blue light as i believe its a safer and more natural option to encourage/enhance my bodies natural healing ability rather than 'kill stuff', looking forward to trying it out to even out skin tone and banish the odd pesky spot

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.