Turn on thread page Beta

Jealous of my boyfriend.. watch

ReputationRep:
    So basically, im in full time education as an animator, but lately its dawned on me that I dont think this is the right profession for me and Im considering trying something else. Im in a very confusing stage in my life where Im lost for what to do with my education and my part-time job pays very little.

My boyfriend however, emigrated to the country less than a year ago and already is working as a stylist at Tony & Guy, has a lot of money coming in and seems to get all these amazing opportunities with no qualifications whatsoever.

I dont want to be bitter towards him because I love him very much, but I do get sick of hearing about how successful he is and how his life seems to be progressing very quickly whereas mine is just at a stand-still...

Is it wrong to feel this way? How can I make these feelings go away? Im worried that Im pushing him away because I hate how easy he's finding it...

Im not looking for comments like 'omg why are you not happy for him? youre such a horrible person!' because i must say that im FULLY aware of that thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you asking is it wrong but telling us not to say you should be happy for him and so on?

World doesn't revolve around you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klipsan)
    So basically, im in full time education as an animator, but lately its dawned on me that I dont think this is the right profession for me and Im considering trying something else. Im in a very confusing stage in my life where Im lost for what to do with my education and my part-time job pays very little.

My boyfriend however, emigrated to the country less than a year ago and already is working as a stylist at Tony & Guy, has a lot of money coming in and seems to get all these amazing opportunities with no qualifications whatsoever.

I dont want to be bitter towards him because I love him very much, but I do get sick of hearing about how successful he is and how his life seems to be progressing very quickly whereas mine is just at a stand-still...

Is it wrong to feel this way? How can I make these feelings go away? Im worried that Im pushing him away because I hate how easy he's finding it...

Im not looking for comments like 'omg why are you not happy for him? youre such a horrible person!' because i must say that im FULLY aware of that thank you.
    This is alarmingly serious.

It seems you're in competition with your boyfriend. Do you want to be more successful than him? If so why?

Doesn't your career provide opportunities to advance?

Your boyfriend is skilled and yes I'll say it anyways, you should be happy for him. Do you resent him for his success?

ReputationRep:
    Woo for the animators!

I am also an animator, so it's cool to hear someone who is also into it.

My only advice would be that if you're jealous of his success, to work hard on your own work/career. Things WILL start happening for you at some point, and in the meantime you can be proud of the smaller accomplishments, like good grades. If you're not sure that Animation is what you want to go into, then a little experimentation can make you feel very free, and liberated.
    Although your bf is sucessful, he's tied down to what he's doing, whereas you have the freedom to experiment, so take advantage of being free to try things out. He might get jealous himself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Why are you asking is it wrong but telling us not to say you should be happy for him and so on?

World doesn't revolve around you.
    Yo, kn*bcheese, if you used your eyes then you'd see that what was actually implied was 'of course im happy for him, i dont need others to tell me to do so'.
    Try focusing on the questions I was actually asking in the post. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    Stop being jealous and be awesome instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    This is alarmingly serious.

It seems you're in competition with your boyfriend. Do you want to be more successful than him? If so why?

Doesn't your career provide opportunities to advance?

Your boyfriend is skilled and yes I'll say it anyways, you should be happy for him. Do you resent him for his success?
    In a small way I'll admit I do resent him, just because of how easy he seems to have found it. Its taken him less than a year to overtake so many people that work and work to be where he is at the moment. I hate saying it..
    Im incredibly happy for him, seriously, but its a mixed feeling.
    I can quite easily progress in my own line of work, its just that recently Ive discovered that I dont enjoy it as much as I'd hoped, and I wanted to start fresh.

Argh I sound like such a cow lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennet)
    Woo for the animators!

I am also an animator, so it's cool to hear someone who is also into it.

My only advice would be that if you're jealous of his success, to work hard on your own work/career. Things WILL start happening for you at some point, and in the meantime you can be proud of the smaller accomplishments, like good grades. If you're not sure that Animation is what you want to go into, then a little experimentation can make you feel very free, and liberated.
    Although your bf is sucessful, he's tied down to what he's doing, whereas you have the freedom to experiment, so take advantage of being free to try things out. He might get jealous himself!
    Oh cool, where did you study animation?
    Thats great advice, thanks alot~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    Stop being jealous and be awesome instead.
    Agreed.

Anyways,I think you want to be as successful.Well stop being jealous and start doing other things and other hobbies maybe join your boyfriend?Think about it this way...If it all works out,one day you'll be PART of that success!

"Behind every successful man there is a surprised woman." ~ Maryon Pearson

"Why do men like intelligent women? Because opposites attract." ~ Kathy Lette

But really,instead of the first one,behind every man is an intelligent woman helping him keep it up.

ReputationRep:
    having a successful bf is better .. actually much better than having one who nags about not finding a job, not having money to take you out etc... so try your best at your work, and think (+) .. =)

ReputationRep:
    No worries

I study at Staffordshire University - not the most glamorous uni, but it has a nice atmosphere.

I know it can be difficult when you feel like someone is ahead of you leaps and bounds when you're stuck in a rut, I wish I could help out more.

At least you'll never have a bad haircut, right?

ReputationRep:
    Lol knobcheese! :clap2:

but seriously speaking, you might want to consider a career change if you're not happy. When you have found the right career that you're passionate about, you'll find that you'll be concentrating more on your work due to the fact that you're interested in it and because of that, you'll end up getting more out from it.

You can be as equally as successful as your bf, maybe more successful than him if you put a lot of hard work and energy in whatever you decide to do in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I would not want a girlfriend like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klipsan)
    In a small way I'll admit I do resent him, just because of how easy he seems to have found it. Its taken him less than a year to overtake so many people that work and work to be where he is at the moment. I hate saying it..
    Im incredibly happy for him, seriously, but its a mixed feeling.
    I can quite easily progress in my own line of work, its just that recently Ive discovered that I dont enjoy it as much as I'd hoped, and I wanted to start fresh.

Argh I sound like such a cow lol..
    You don't sound like a cow at all. I can empathise with you. I know how frustrating it is to see those who make little effort succeed. It's not jealously, it's our own sense of justice. I am equally fed up with seeing people with less qualifications than I get jobs and succeed when I have made more effort. There are people for whom life is perpetually easier, whether it be their good looks or good luck. No comforting words, other than I empathise.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.