Turn on thread page Beta

If you could talk fluently in any other language watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Arabic but I wouldn't mind learning any of the far eastern languages either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahT94)
    i could teach you :P .. and i would love to have a perfect english, but i think im far away from having this beautiful british accent that i dream of.
    I've tried to learn Arabic but it was too hard, I know very little. I could probably have a very simple conversation with somebody in Arabic but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to be able to speak Swedish, or any Scandinavian language for that matter, I've always been interested in visiting and perhaps even living in that part of the world. It seems like a really interesting place.

Chinese would also be useful for when the takeover inevitably happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    German.

I love Spanish and French, and they're undoubtedly a lot more useful in virtually every context, but German sounds pretty awesome in full flow!
    Every language is useful: no language has superiority over another.

I would like to be fluently in my own language Edo lol.

ReputationRep:
    Spanish.

Since my bf and his family are so it would make meals at their house easier when they end up switching languages.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by midpikyrozziy)
    Creole
    Creole isn't a language. Creole (like Pidgin) is a descriptive term for a new language which arises when two languages meet (normally in a settler/conquesty environment)

I'd like to be fluent in Anglo Saxon, because it's really interesting and it would make my uni exams a whole lot easier :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    French. Because, technically, I'm already supposed to be fluent and, apart from being sick of getting things wrong, it would be really nice to be able to go to France next year and speak to les gens, 'comme une francaise'.

Spoiler:
    Show
    yeah, I missed the cedilla. Do you know how fiddly it is to insert that damn symbol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Creole isn't a language. Creole (like Pidgin) is a descriptive term for a new language which arises when two languages meet (normally in a settler/conquesty environment)
    You're right, I didn't even mean Creole. I'll edit the original now.

ReputationRep:
    Latin or Greek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    I've tried to learn Arabic but it was too hard, I know very little. I could probably have a very simple conversation with somebody in Arabic but that's about it.
    there are so many ppl who would love to talk Arabic, thats surprising! well, when your english is perfect you need to go find another language ... and yess there are some of the letters that are hard to pronounce ! (im glad im lebanese, for the first time). Try again , and trust me its great to talk in different languages!

ReputationRep:
    Italian

ReputationRep:
    German primarily. Secondarily - any Nordic/Northern languages etc i.e. Dutch, Swedish, Finnish etc.

I plan to learn most of these languages (German and Finnish especially) before I leave for "the other side". )
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    French. Because, technically, I'm already supposed to be fluent and, apart from being sick of getting things wrong, it would be really nice to be able to go to France next year and speak to les gens, 'comme une francaise'.

Spoiler:
    Show
    yeah, I missed the cedilla. Do you know how fiddly it is to insert that damn symbol?
    Not sure what computer/laptop you've got, but if you've got a macbook alt (well not alt, but the alt button) +c = ç :ahee:

Plus alt + e + vowel of your choice =á é í ó ú
    alt + ^ + voyc = ô etc.
    alt + ` + voyc = à etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)

Spoiler:
    Show
    bonne chance , et n'oublie pas de rouler le "r" en parlant !

ReputationRep:
    Finnish

P.S. Latin, too

ReputationRep:
    either perfect mandarin (I can speak it relatively fluently but I would like it as good as my english...)

or french

ReputationRep:
    Serbian, so I could understand this guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syEGq...eature=related
    <3

Also cos I kinda want to live in Belgrade at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Arabic, to all the people who want to learn Dutch and German ..I can speak both languages :p:

ReputationRep:
    Spanish

then Portuguese, French, Italian haha maybe one day!

ReputationRep:
    In b4 language man :teehee:

I'd like to be fluent in Irish and French eventually, and be able to read and write in Latin, Greek and Hebrew.

I have fantasies about learning Russian and German, and really should learn Spanish for family reasons but finding the time for it is a challenge

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.