Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you could talk fluently in any other language watch

ReputationRep:
    French or Japanese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahT94)
    there are so many ppl who would love to talk Arabic, thats surprising! well, when your english is perfect you need to go find another language ... and yess there are some of the letters that are hard to pronounce ! (im glad im lebanese, for the first time). Try again , and trust me its great to talk in different languages!
    I know I was surprised when I saw so many people wanting to learn Arabic, I was expecting people to say European languages. I don't think I can learn Arabic now I might do it after my A-Levels. I can talk in a few languages, German- not fluent,Urdu-can read understand and write it but find it hard to construct sentences, Gujarati- I can talk it understand it but cannot read it or write it, Latin- I use to study it but dropped it I can understand bits of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    Every language is useful: no language has superiority over another.

I would like to be fluently in my own language Edo lol.
    In terms of utility they are. English is considerably more useful than, for example, Finnish in a British or global context, but Finnish is more useful than English in the context of Finland.

ReputationRep:
    Jibberish.

ReputationRep:
    French and Russian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    I know I was surprised when I saw so many people wanting to learn Arabic, I was expecting people to say European languages. I don't think I can learn Arabic now I might do it after my A-Levels. I can talk in a few languages, German- not fluent,Urdu-can read understand and write it but find it hard to construct sentences, Gujarati- I can talk it understand it but cannot read it or write it.
    well you can learn it in english.. like , you write in english letters but when you read it its arabic , and use numbers for the difficult letters ! "kifik" = " how are you " (when asking a girl)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahT94)
    well you can learn it in english.. like , you write in english letters but when you read it its arabic , and use numbers for the difficult letters ! "kifik" = " how are you " (when asking a girl)
    Kifik?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    Kifik?
    see , you learn quick ! " ana mni7a , ente kif? " = " im fine , wbu? "

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few I wish I could speak fluently. But I'll go with Finnish (over Russian, German and Swedish).

I wish I was better with French, too, but I know enough to understand the gist of conversations and if it ever pops up in books or movies I can generally translate. Latin would be nice too.

ReputationRep:
    French, I'm ok-ish at it at the moment, but I would love to be able to just go to France without any language problems.

ReputationRep:
    Spanish. I really want to be fluent in it, but for now it's only a dream.....

ReputationRep:
    German. My A2 speaking is in a month.

ReputationRep:
    FRENCH.
    But also Italian, and Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    Mandarin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    German. My A2 speaking is in a month.
    Same! I just had my mock speaking last week and i could really do with a magic wand to make me better! haha :/

ReputationRep:
    German, definitely. I love the way it sounds :p: Hopefully I will become fluent in it one day.. I did it for GCSE, didn't for A-Level and now regret that.

ReputationRep:
    Although I study French at the moment, Italian is very tempting.. although (again I didn't think it would be that popular) knowing Arabic would be very handy for me. (How I wished that my dad had spoken it to me when I was little.) :dong:

ReputationRep:
    Propably Russian - that would be cool! Tolstoy/Dostoyevsky/Puskin/Checkov in the original? :coma: :coma:
    Although, as a GCSE-whore, I may have to go for German because I always seem to flunk the speakings and really want to get a good grade; or French if I was just randomly fluent so could still get a A level :cool: And because Satre is a god...

ReputationRep:
    Japanese. I'm getting there slowly!

I'm spending 6 weeks in Tokyo this July-August on an internship placement and I'm terrified!

The grammar = easy.
    The written work (hiragana, katakana, kanji) = Complicated... but I tend to think in pictures a lot so I know all the kana, and about 150 kanji after 6 months of learning.
    The vocab = I can't wrap my head around it all :-/

ReputationRep:
    Icelandic.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.