Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I start my undergraduate degree in Education in Sept (unconditional offer accepted ). I want to do a PGCE afterwards in Primary or Early Years.

I started working voluntary in two local primary schools, one day a week each, a few month back. Just wondering what else I can do to get more experience. Or is it really not worth me worrying about at this stage?

I was looking into volunteering with girl guides. Do you think this would be of much worth? Do you think I should wait till I'm further into my degree to do anything else?

Also any ideas of what I can do during the summer? I don't want to go away to a camp though. So what other kind of experience can I get?

I actually really enjoy the voluntary work that I do so I don't mind taking more on the only thing is that it means less flexibility for work so only want to do it if it will help me in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about volunteering for Summer playschemes for Special Needs children. Having a greater insight into the depth and diversity of special needs would be a great asset for a primary school teacher. In our area there are quite a few paid positions on these schemes. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slave1)
    Have you thought about volunteering for Summer playschemes for Special Needs children. Having a greater insight into the depth and diversity of special needs would be a great asset for a primary school teacher. In our area there are quite a few paid positions on these schemes. Good luck!
    There is actually an advert in my local paper for assistants & leaders for for a summer activity group for disabled children. Only found it last night though so may give them a ring in the morning. Bit apprehensive about it though as I have absolutely no experience of working with or even being around disabled people/children. I suppose I have to get experience somewhere though.

Any tips on what to say about my lack of experience when applying? lol Do you think if I am rejected for a paid job it would be appropriate for me to offer to volunteer instead?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats, which uni are you gonna be studying at. Going to start looking for work experience myself, I am starting the same course at Greenwich in September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by degree2011)
    Congrats, which uni are you gonna be studying at. Going to start looking for work experience myself, I am starting the same course at Greenwich in September.
    Sheffield Hallam I really can't wait till Sept, I just want to hurry up and get started haha

Have you tried writing to your local schools? I just sent out a letter to every school or even nursery that I could get too and had quite a few willing to take me on. Felt bad turning them down in the end lol.

Oooh one suggestion. I think if you can get experience at a smaller school then they generally let you do more work and are more grateful for your time (in my experience). I thought I would basically be observing but I take my own groups for certain lessons and I am always doing something. I really love it, even though the first time the teacher said "right you take half the class in to the IT suite on your own" I thought oh ****! This is going to go wrong haha It is great for building your confidence.

ReputationRep:
    i would def echo the idea with working with children with learning disabilities. I was lucky enough to have some experience voluntering with a charity involving that while i did my a levels so when i came to uni i found it very easy to get onto the summer placements. However if you explain you may just be given a volunteering role to start with- and then you can work your way up to supervisor etc once you've got used to it.
    they should do some training before anyway and with the experience you already have with children i am sure it will come naturally. with learning difficulities especially every child is so different so often experience doesnt help a great deal.
    however if you dont get on it (already i cant imagine they would turn down help!) then remember you are only in your first year the fact you are doing all this experience now shows how keen you are and will be a real asset for you when it comes to applying for teaching courses which are already so competative

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.