Turn on thread page Beta

Does diversity increase intelligence? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolishh)
    Personally, I find it difficult to liken the concept of breeds, for example, dog breeds, to the racial classification of human beings. It's not just my opinion, though. If you look up the definitions, there is a distinction.
    Dog's are unique in their diversity and can't be likened to any other animal. Not to mention dogs were at one point all the same and have been artificially manipulated by humans to develop into the variety of breeds you see today.

ReputationRep:
    Of course: it teaches you social intelligence by teaching you how to interact successfully with different sociopolitical and ethnic groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanrights)
    what about IQ of arfican americans, whos iQ is lower on averge than chinese americans?
    Again, this has more to do with social factors. That poster gave us a average based on the selector of 'race', much more revealing is if you use the selector of economic status. You'll find that there is as as big a difference between black people who are higher up the economic ladder and their children than those lower down. Because IQ is not a test of genetic qualities, but social ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E;)
    Because IQ is not a test of genetic qualities, but social ones.
    lol, you're just making it up now.

Genetics and environment both contribute to the IQ, and social factors may contribute to the environment as well.

ReputationRep:
    why have we never heard of the great africa/ chinese mixing agenda for example??
    Because that would be genocide of course.

On the other hand whites should of course celebrate being wiped out of existance :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OdinsThunder)

Genetics and environment both contribute to the IQ, and social factors may contribute to the environment as well.
    Whilst I agree genetics contribute to intelligence it's undeniable that social and economic factors play a much larger role especially considering the way we quantify intelligence.

Intelligence is subjective anyway
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein.

ReputationRep:
    Aye the racists only come out at night. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    but human cannot mate with orang-outangs.

i never said races are different species. i said races were the same as breed. you mentioned species.

the defect argument is flawed anyway. lets say race A all have disease. and race B all have a disease.

once those races mix together, then they will create a race prone to both disease A and B.

race mixing simple creates different humans. humans prone to new disease. it does not create a superior breed.

edit:

plus, what about the intelligence side? if a super intelligent race mixes with a less intelligent race, then what is the outcome?

:rofl: stop making things up. And stop getting information from stormfront!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Busby_Babe)
    But places like Sierra Leone are also homogeneous societies. Those are social factors and nothing to do with genetics.

I hate to say it, but let's not kid ourselves by saying the people have the same level of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    I hate to say it, but let's not kid ourselves by saying the people have the same level of intelligence.
    Well unless you take a cross section from each society and raise them in controlled conditions to be exactly the same before administering a series of intelligence tests there really is no way to tell. People in Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq) were building city's, writing, using diplomacy and implementing law thousands of years before these concepts arrived in Western Europe. Does this prove that Iraqi people have a higher level of intelligence than Europeans?

ReputationRep:
    Well unless you take a cross section from each society and raise them in controlled conditions to be exactly the same before administering a series of intelligence tests there really is no way to tell. People in Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq) were building city's, writing, using diplomacy and implementing law thousands of years before these concepts arrived in Western Europe. Does this prove that Iraqi people have a higher level of intelligence than Europeans?
    An intelligent people would create a functioning county out of nothing. That is what the Mesapotamians, Ancient Greeks, and Persians did (to name a few). There is a vast difference between 2000 odd years ago and today. People (racially) have changed in parts of the world. Ancient Greeks are not the same as modern Greeks after 400 odd years of Ottoman occupation (sorry for focusing on the Greeks, but I don't exactly know the history of the Iraqi people. Another example of a changed people is Persians as opposed to Iranians. There are clearly different races in Iran depending on ancestry). To say that average intelligence does not depend on racial background on the basis of political correctness is idiotic. Of course there are large variations depending on the individual person, but I am talking about medians here.

God that took longer than I expected to type on my phone. Forgive any spelling mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    The people of modern day Iraq are not the same as those of Mesopotamia. The original people were known as Persians who are also known as Aryan, and have far more in common with Southern Europeans than the Arabs who live there now. Thanks to the Islamic conquests, these people and their civilisation have been pretty much wiped out, although there are still quite a few of them in Iran. There were Assyrians as well who were quite similar to the Persians.

Places like Iraq are great examples of what will happen to other western countries if mass third world immigration continues.

ReputationRep:
    An intelligent people would create a functioning county out of nothing.
    What about those people who have money, resources, technology and knowledge thrown at them like confetti for free and yet still can not build a modern society?

ReputationRep:
    What about those people who have money, resources, technology and knowledge thrown at them like confetti for free and yet still can not build a modern society?
    Those people, and their nations, are waiting to collapse. Here's looking at you, UK and USA. Stifling research and innovation, and putting the fate of the country in private organisations is the worst thing a country can do.

ReputationRep:
    An intelligent people would create a functioning county out of nothing. That is what the Mesapotamians, Ancient Greeks, and Persians did (to name a few). There is a vast difference between 2000 odd years ago and today. People (racially) have changed in parts of the world. Ancient Greeks are not the same as modern Greeks after 400 odd years of Ottoman occupation (sorry for focusing on the Greeks, but I don't exactly know the history of the Iraqi people. Another example of a changed people is Persians as opposed to Iranians. There are clearly different races in Iran depending on ancestry). To say that average intelligence does not depend on racial background on the basis of political correctness is idiotic. Of course there are large variations depending on the individual person, but I am talking about medians here.

God that took longer than I expected to type on my phone. Forgive any spelling mistakes.
    The specifics of national identity are irrelevant. The fact is Western Europe i.e white people were thousands of years behind Asia and North Africa in their development. I'm not saying that race has nothing to do with intelligence it affects many other attributes so it's fair to hypothesise that it could affect intelligence I'm saying we are unable to really draw a fair conclusion on how it affects intelligence. I was trying to make the point that if you go back a few thousand years (not a very long time in the context) then you could easily argue that intelligence is affected by race and that white people are inferior however this has since been proven to be nonsense as white people have since achieved so much it was merely the case that white people were developing along a different time-line so to speak however later on white societies made advances at an extraordinary rate. It's entirely possible that sub Saharan African societies could have followed a similar pattern however due to globalisation this is now almost impossible.

I don't care about being politically correct btw.

ReputationRep:
    The specifics of national identity are irrelevant. The fact is Western Europe i.e white people were thousands of years behind Asia and North Africa in their development. I'm not saying that race has nothing to do with intelligence it affects many other attributes so it's fair to hypothesise that it could affect intelligence I'm saying we are unable to really draw a fair conclusion on how it affects intelligence. I was trying to make the point that if you go back a few thousand years (not a very long time in the context) then you could easily argue that intelligence is affected by race and that white people are inferior however this has since been proven to be nonsense as white people have since achieved so much it was merely the case that white people were developing along a different time-line so to speak however later on white societies made advances at an extraordinary rate. It's entirely possible that sub Saharan African societies could have followed a similar pattern however due to globalisation this is now almost impossible.

I don't care about being politically correct btw.
    The people in those early successful civilisation were indo-european caucasian(ie. white people of a sort), and have little in common with the people who live in these areas today.

As for sub Saharan Africans, even today for those who have been brought up in a Western country enjoyed a good diet and education. Their contributions to the world on the whole have been negligible.

ReputationRep:
    The people of modern day Iraq are not the same as those of Mesopotamia. The original people were known as Persians who are also known as Aryan, and have far more in common with Southern Europeans than the Arabs who live there now. Thanks to the Islamic conquests, these people and their civilisation have been pretty much wiped out, although there are still quite a few of them in Iran.

Places like Iraq are great examples of what will happen to other western countries if mass third world immigration continues.

Did you just say Mesopotamians were Persian? Please stop making a fool of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    The people in those early successful civilisation were indo-european caucasian(ie. white people of a sort), and have little in common with the people who live in these areas today.

As for sub Saharan Africans, even today for those who have been brought up in a Western country enjoyed a good diet and education. Their contributions to the world on the whole have been negligible.
    People in the Indus Valley (Pakistan), Egypt, Mesopotamia and China were indo European? You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Animae)
    Hey,

This theory is highly speculative. It is only an observation!
    Here is an example of a group that developed higher average psychometric abilities. The key is what is being selected for? In this case, mental prowess meant you were more likely to have more children so those traits increased across the population.

Psychologists and educational researchers have pegged their average IQ at 107.5 to 115. That's only modestly higher than the overall European average of 100, but the gap is large enough to produce a huge difference in the proportion of geniuses. When a group's average IQ is 100, the percentage of people above 140 is 0.4%; when the average is 110, the genius rate is 2.3%.

Though Jews make up less than 3% of the U.S. population, they have won more than 25% of the Nobel Prizes awarded to American scientists since 1950, account for 20% of this country's chief executives and make up 22% of Ivy League students, the pair write.

"People are perfectly willing to admit that some people are taller or some people are shorter," Cochran said. "But no one wants to say 'This group is smarter.'

This seemed an unlikely coincidence. Genetically isolated groups often have higher rates of certain diseases. But of the more than 20,000 human genes, only 108 are known to be involved in sphingolipid metabolism. The odds of Ashkenazi Jews having four sphingolipid storage disorders by random chance are less than 1 in 100,000, he calculated.

Jews first came to Europe in the 8th and 9th centuries, long before they were known for intellectual prowess, Cochran and Harpending say. They worked as traders before taking financial jobs made available by Christians who were forbidden by the Church from charging interest. By 1100, local registries listed most Ashkenazi Jews as lenders.

That set the stage for natural selection to do its work, Cochran and Harpending theorized. Jews didn't intermarry, keeping their gene pool closed. They were subjected to periodic persecution, which kept the population from outgrowing its professional niche.

According to the theory, the smartest individuals made the most money, and the wealthiest families had the most surviving children. The genes of the most intelligent Jews spread most, slowly raising the average IQ of the entire group.

Over 40 generations -- roughly 1,000 years -- an increase of just 0.3 points per generation would have added up to a cumulative advantage of 12 points, Cochran and Harpending theorized. Some of their other models projected a benefit of 16 to 20 IQ points."
    http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...,7978229.story

ReputationRep:

*Sigh*

before you start trying to be controversial, actually read my post. 'Social', in the context of that sentence, means environmental. Which is why, for what you are trying to argue, using IQ as a reference point is highly problematic.

What you are trying to say is Africans show that relatively low level of IQ because of genetic factors, which is really impossible to say, because of the substantial influence of environmental factors. And the obvious questions about methodology.

To be honest though, this thread has got rather stale. There is too much pointless conjecture about 'who started civilisation', which is all crap to be honest. Good day.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.