Turn on thread page Beta

Binaural Beats/Brainwave Entrainment/Hemi-Sync etc. watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody tried these things - any results? Or are they just placebos? Side effects?

I myself only listened to "Hemi-Sync" for about five minutes - incidentally, I was to do homework soon after. Suffice to say that my teacher said that it was my best piece yet. Additionally (and I don't know if it is related) - this morning/afternoon, I have seemingly been able to play out orchestral music in my brain and imagine the instruments and manipulate the sounds and mix compositions (i.e. pause, speed up etc like a music player) etc - all a placebo?

(And I only listened to it for 5 minutes! :holmes: )

What are your experiences?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What is it?

ReputationRep:
    I-Doser was crap. All of them. Listened on Sennheiser 595s so the quality was good, did nothing.

Alva Noto and any of the Raster-Noton artists are far more entertaining.

Anthem Berlin from his For 2 album is one of the best, but not on youtube.

The new collaboration album from Cyclo is also amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I find listening to it whilst writing essays/reports/dissertations, helps me focus a lot - it definitely had some sort of influence over my state of mind, so that, plus the fact that it drowns out background noise helps to stop distraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ_Black)
    I find listening to it whilst writing essays/reports/dissertations, helps me focus a lot - it definitely had some sort of influence over my state of mind, so that, plus the fact that it drowns out background noise helps to stop distraction.
    Any adverse effects?

I found that it did *something* to me - changed me - made me better even - for the short time that I listened to it anyway!

Why is it not more popular if it works so much wonders - my visualization etc has improved by at least fivefold lol, but seriously wtf?

ReputationRep:
    Search "Hemi-Sync" on youtube and have a listen to the first one - tell me what you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aisha~~)
    I-Doser was crap. All of them. Listened on Sennheiser 595s so the quality was good, did nothing.

Alva Noto and any of the Raster-Noton artists are far more entertaining.

Anthem Berlin from his For 2 album is one of the best, but not on youtube.

The new collaboration album from Cyclo is also amazing.

Can't hear anything, even on youtube site...? :confused:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Search "Hemi-Sync" on youtube and have a listen to the first one - tell me what you think?
    Just seems werid to me.

ReputationRep:
    Can't hear anything, even on youtube site...? :confused:
    What speakers are you using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Just seems werid to me.
    Do you feel weird sensations in your brain at first? (That was what happened when I first listened to it....) :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aisha~~)
    What speakers are you using?
    I am on a netbook. I even put the volume to the max... unless I should be using headphones..? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I am on a netbook. I even put the volume to the max... unless I should be using headphones..? :confused:
    Well that's why. Laptop speakers are APPALLING in every sense. Your listening to a 10% CD quality track (Youtube) over speakers that have about 1% efficiency, not to mention useless frequency ranges, cones, etc.

As a minimum you want to be listening to these with decent ear/headphones, at 320 MP3 quality. WAV/FLAC quality is ideal. A lot of the sounds they use aren't even perceivable by the ear, never mind perceivable by a computer.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it, that's just because I know it induces fits in my mum which puts me off it.

ReputationRep:
    The notion of stuff like this altering your state of mind is just bs basically. People actually buy this ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    I wouldn't do it, that's just because I know it induces fits in my mum which puts me off it.
    It only induces "fits" in *some* people (mainly those who have epilepsy etc). I had no problem.

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    The notion of stuff like this altering your state of mind is just bs basically. People actually buy this ****.
    Who says I bought it? Youtube...

P.S> I have to admit that it did actually do *something* - and I also cannot dismiss the fact that I felt "sensations" in my brain whilst listening to it...

ReputationRep:
    Who says I bought it? Youtube...

P.S> I have to admit that it did actually do *something* - and I also cannot dismiss the fact that I felt "sensations" in my brain whilst listening to it...
    Amazing that you felt sensations in the brain despite it having no afferent innervation what-so-ever.

ReputationRep:
    I was at a party/gathering and a friend put his headphones on me and told me to just listen and not think about anything. I did feel strange, and, knowing my friend, came to te conclusion he was playing me some weird drug music which messes with your head. Well I was right lol, but it still doesn't prove it wasn't placebo. I think music in general has the potential to relax you and make you feel chilled, and hence make you focus better on studies.

ReputationRep:
    It only induces "fits" in *some* people (mainly those who have epilepsy etc). I had no problem.
    Yeah I know, just proves though that it does do something with your brain, and I'd rather not do anything to mine without knowing it's safe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    Yeah I know, just proves though that it does do something with your brain, and I'd rather not do anything to mine without knowing it's safe
    Not really. It just exemplifies the existance of auditogenic seizures. It has nothing to do with the music specifically.

ReputationRep:
    It is used to help people reach a calm serene state of mind, primarily for Astral Projection it involves using natural sound (primarily) to help the brains radio waves hit a certain frekuency, none the less you have to bear in mind as well people 50% is psychological (i.e if you think it wont work for you, then it wont and vice-versa) be open minded you have nothing to lose trying but do not believe this alone induces the Outer Body ekperience! (good to see a interesting topic brought up, and by all means if some can correct me do so "D)

Also would any one with more knowledge be willing to expand on this topic ??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.