Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Binaural Beats/Brainwave Entrainment/Hemi-Sync etc. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohamed aden)
    It is used to help people reach a calm serene state of mind, primarily for Astral Projection it involves using natural sound (primarily) to help the brains radio waves hit a certain frekuency, none the less you have to bear in mind as well people 50% is psychological (i.e if you think it wont work for you, then it wont and vice-versa) be open minded you have nothing to lose trying but do not believe this alone induces the Outer Body ekperience! (good to see a interesting topic brought up, and by all means if some can correct me do so "D)

Also would any one with more knowledge be willing to expand on this topic ??
    The brain's radio waves? Right..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Has anybody tried these things - any results? Or are they just placebos? Side effects?

I myself only listened to "Hemi-Sync" for about five minutes - incidentally, I was to do homework soon after. Suffice to say that my teacher said that it was my best piece yet. Additionally (and I don't know if it is related) - this morning/afternoon, I have seemingly been able to play out orchestral music in my brain and imagine the instruments and manipulate the sounds and mix compositions (i.e. pause, speed up etc like a music player) etc - all a placebo?

(And I only listened to it for 5 minutes! :holmes: )

What are your experiences?
    There's a torrent on piratebay by someone called Kelly Howell with this binaural beats stuff. Some of it is quite good, but the claims made are questionable. The slogan (which is repeated at the start of most tracks) is "A sound approach to conscious evolution". I mean what the hell is 'conscious evolution' anyway?
    Anyway the torrent's free (albeit illegal), so try it out for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Whip out the bongo drums and let's get into the drum circle, oh and pass the blunt bro

Everyone sing Kum Baya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ_Black)
    I find listening to it whilst writing essays/reports/dissertations, helps me focus a lot - it definitely had some sort of influence over my state of mind, so that, plus the fact that it drowns out background noise helps to stop distraction.
    I get the same effects. I used to listen to sort of white noise stuff to help me focus and also some of the extremely ambient Brian Eno stuff. I don't any more, unless I'm particularly unfocused due to lack of sleep or similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    The brain's radio waves? Right..
    Yeah it primarily targets them to get the same effect or similar effect as when we are in a serene state (i.e REM period of sleep), but it is questionable how effective they are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohamed aden)
    Yeah it primarily targets them to get the same effect or similar effect as when we are in a serene state (i.e REM period of sleep), but it is questionable how effective they are!
    Sorry, what's producing the brain's radio waves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Sorry, what's producing the brain's radio waves?
    I wish I could rep you more.

ReputationRep:
    I'm somewhat skeptical of binaural beats stuff, although auto-suggestion and hypnosis may have some effects.

ReputationRep:
    at UWE they have free hemi-sync sessions! i was tempted to go to a concentration one but i'm already booked for half of it

it sounds fairly interesting. the human brain can communicate with computers, why can't things help to balance the hemispheres?

ReputationRep:
    HemiSync technology has been around for over 30 years, and has evolved in the number of applications for wellbeing, study, motivational, memory recall as well as transcedental.

http://www.monroeinstitute.org/hemi-sync/

As I understand it, the technology has been used in some US schools since the 80s.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.