Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feel empty and down :/ whats wrong with me? watch

Announcements

Recently well over the past few months...I've just felt like part of me's missing like I no longer enjoy going out and being with friends i've lost friends due to my recent moods, I can't sleep at nights and i'm snappy and each day I try to go start a day more positivly thinking and try to be my normal "bubbly self" but inside i'm like screaming and feel like i'm drowning in everything I just don't know whats wrong with me?

does anyone have any suggestions I just want to feel the way I used! :'(

ReputationRep:
    Has anything changed from when you were happy to the present? Any possible triggering events that you think might of caused these moods? Find the cause solve the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Are you under exam pressure?
    I tend to get a lot like what you describe when I'm under exam pressure, it really gets to me and the anxiety drives me to being unsociable and snappy all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but it sounds like you have depression. Go and talk to your GP and they will help you and you can be yourself again. In the meantime, don't focus on what's wrong with you - however impossible it may seem. Just try not to stress yourself out and don't make yourself worse by forcing yourself to do anything.
    If it isn't depression then your GP will still be able to help you, or talk to someone you feel you can approach about this. I hope you feel better soon x

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with the above statement. The change in your mood and behaviour has to be caused/triggered by some event. Please do reply back to my post if you want to and ill try my best to help.

(Original post by d_star)
    I totally agree with the above statement. The change in your mood and behaviour has to be caused/triggered by some event. Please do reply back to my post if you want to and ill try my best to help.
    Hi thanks everyong above...i've been thinking all the time about this i have made lists about everything i think has changed, these are what i've come up with:
    got accepted to uni.
    failed exams.
    dad stopped getting in contact as regurally.

and all other stuff thats changed is good stuff well stuff I should be happy about :/ i'm just feeling so distant from everyone and everything :/

ReputationRep:
    Agree with going to the GP could be depression but also anaemia. I know it sounds a bit weird but going for a brisk walk every day in places where there are people can be really helpful. Being isolated can start off a negative cycle. Hope you feel brighter soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi thanks everyong above...i've been thinking all the time about this i have made lists about everything i think has changed, these are what i've come up with:
    got accepted to uni.
    failed exams.

and all other stuff thats changed is good stuff well stuff I should be happy about :/ i'm just feeling so distant from everyone and everything :/
    There's nothing stopping you from contacting your dad. I know what my dad thinks and tells my mum when she tries contacting me - "Leave him, his having a good time probably doesn't want you to interrupt". When I think most students would agree after about 3 months in uni you do start to miss them, strangely.

Failed exams is a tough one, all I can suggest is try and get over it as soon as possible. If you keep letting it get to you, it will effect future exams and you will be in a worse position.

Just try and do things that make YOU happy, be a little more selfish. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    got accepted to uni.
    failed exams.

im really glad you replyed back...i guess its because of these factors stated above which you infact inside your brain make it seem like EVERYTHING IS GOING BAD when infact its not EVERYTHING but just these things. I think you should talk to your mum, sisters, brothers etc more; maybe there in same situation because your dad is not in regular contact anymore so supporting eachother would not only reduce negative feelings but also create a bond between you all. And dont worry bad times dont last forever, good moments come too; which you have to enjoy and hold on to as much as you can. I hope you get well .. cheer up lifes too short ..eat chocolate..always helps me lol

(Original post by d_star)
    im really glad you replyed back...i guess its because of these factors stated above which you infact inside your brain make it seem like EVERYTHING IS GOING BAD when infact its not EVERYTHING but just these things. I think you should talk to your mum, sisters, brothers etc more; maybe there in same situation because your dad is not in regular contact anymore so supporting eachother would not only reduce negative feelings but also create a bond between you all. And dont worry bad times dont last forever, good moments come too; which you have to enjoy and hold on to as much as you can. I hope you get well .. cheer up lifes too short ..eat chocolate..always helps me lol
    Thanks yeah i'm trying i've called him but he says that he has "work" then is like meet at blla bla at some time i go and he never shows...so i think that ship has sailed. O well :/ i just am trying to stay positive and yup all this comfort eating will make me better :L x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elianeb)
    I'm sorry but it sounds like you have depression. Go and talk to your GP and they will help you and you can be yourself again. In the meantime, don't focus on what's wrong with you - however impossible it may seem. Just try not to stress yourself out and don't make yourself worse by forcing yourself to do anything.
    If it isn't depression then your GP will still be able to help you, or talk to someone you feel you can approach about this. I hope you feel better soon x
    Not true, anti depressants will simply nullify your emotions - you won't have any lows, but you will never have any highs either.
    it is like being in a zombie like state constantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elianeb)
    got accepted to uni.
    failed exams.

How many times do I have to say this. There is NO SUCH THING AS DEPRESSION. There is only an unpleasant human emotional reaction to equally unpleasant external circumstances affecting said human.

In the case of this human, if he sorted out the 3 things on his list, he will be just dandy. And the fact that he is responding within normal parameters to these unpleasant circumstances show he does in fact have his mental faculties unimpaired. I'd be more worried if he was happy he failed his exams and cut off contact with a parent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by traveller)
    Not true, anti depressants will simply nullify your emotions - you won't have any lows, but you will never have any highs either.
    I didn't say anything about anti-depressants... Going to the GP will simply help the OP work out whether they are depressed or not, and the GP can either be someone to talk to or refer the OP to a clinic or a counsellor.

Thank you everyone...I have gone and spoken to my tutor at college and shes referred me to someone in the college who's going to talk to me.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone...I have gone and spoken to my tutor at college and shes referred me to someone in the college who's going to talk to me.
    That's great, good luck and I hope you feel better soon x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by traveller)
    That's a very distorted view of antidepressants. Yes, that can sometimes happen, but in many cases it doesn't. I've had more than my fair share of antidepressants, and none of them turned me into a zombie (although lithium did to an extent). My current antidepressant, clomipramine, has completely restored me to the way I was pre-depression - happy, I've got tons more energy, generally interested in the world and non-zombified. Antidepressants affect everyone differently, that's part of what's so difficult in prescribing the right one, but making sweeping generalisations about them helps nobody.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks yeah i'm trying i've called him but he says that he has "work" then is like meet at blla bla at some time i go and he never shows...so i think that ship has sailed. O well :/ i just am trying to stay positive and yup all this comfort eating will make me better :L x
    Oh im glad your trying to get yourself to feel better...i hope you are feeling better now...if he keep saying hes busy, let him have some space, if someone doesnt want to be with you and your family there not worth it. I know he is your father but at least you have the rest of your family, he doesnt have anyone so he'll come to his senses soon and realise his mistakes; we all do but usually then its too late. Just spend time with your family, try something new like go out with your friends or boyfriend etc; then you'll forget these other minor things for a while and have fun!!

Spoke to the lady today she's referred me to the college counseller :/ i'm really scared last time i had counselling it made me feel awful plus the woman was really mean!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.