Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think it is becoming more expensive to drive in the UK..? watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't drive, but I understand that with the fuel prices increasing, car insurance being ridiculously priced, lessons and the test being expensive, is it even worth driving? Of course, It would be a lot easier if I could drive, but at the same time it's very expensive to run a car at the moment. Is it me, or is it becoming a lot more expensive to drive now? And are the idiots on the road to blame for sky rocketing prices for insurance etc? Just curious of your views!

ReputationRep:
    The big, big problem is parking. It really is a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not drive. Living in a city, I'd only use a car at weekends, and it's certainly not worth the luxury. It seems like all my friends who have cars are constantly skint anyway, and I think all the expendable income I have would evaporate if I had a car. I'd rather have money to spend than have a car I'd use once in a while...

ReputationRep:
    I come originally from the countryside, so driving is cheaper than than the infrequent busses. £4 for a half-hour jounrey by bus is a rip-off.

ReputationRep:
    Driving for me.... or better yet being driven...... ain't gonna bother with the train or public transport even if fuel reaches £4 a litre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeoNerd)
    I come originally from the countryside, so driving is cheaper than than the infrequent busses. £4 for a half-hour jounrey by bus is a rip-off.
    This.

In some parts of the countryside, cars are undoubtedly much better value for money than buses.

ReputationRep:
    Driving is expensive. But like everything else in life, if you work hard enough you'll be able to pay for it.
    I certainly wouldn't want to ride around in a peasant truck with all the other plebs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Driving is expensive. But like everything else in life, if you work hard enough you'll be able to pay for it.
    I certainly wouldn't want to ride around in a peasant truck with all the other plebs.
    Succinct and to the point.

This.

(why I have a 2 seater, I don't like passengers)

ReputationRep:
    I've just gotten myself a second job so I can pay for car insurance in a few months time (and some extra shiny bits for my car - I might actually be able to pick up some slotmags at last ). That means I'll be at college 3 and a half days a week, at Currys 2 days a week and pulling beers down the local pub 5 nights a week. It's gunna kill me but the money will be worth it.

Yes driving is expensive, but it's definitely worth it.

ReputationRep:
    in the first year i did about 8,000 miles; in the last 3 years i did about 146,000 miles (which is nearly 50,000 per year average). in just the 4 years i have had my licence i have spent a considerable 5-figure sum PURELY on diesel - and this was mostly when it was closer to £1 a litre. however this year i dont plan to drive anywhere near 50k miles - maybe closer to just 2,000, MAXIMUM! i would say that this is primarily down to the fact that i choose not to give in to these crazy price demands of bp, esso, etc. - despite still comfortably being able to run a car with my salary, i no longer believe doing it so much will give me sufficient return on the money i'd be spending.

i have even sacrificed the fiat 500 that was solely mine (a car i loved SO incredibly dearly), and have decided with my dad to just share ownership of one car together - an audi a1 diesel. not my choice, but it was a gift from my parents i did not know about until last week :| however even though the car is in my name in ownership as my parents originally intended it to be just for me, i have since had a change of heart about using the audi or any other car - so my dad now uses it. he got such a sweet discount on it, that if he was to sell it now he'd still make a small profit, something im trying to encourage to him to get something a little older and even more fuel efficient.

sad as it may seem, i have resorted to getting lifts from work collegues, as well as being trained up by my boyfriend to travel by bicycle.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    Personally I don't drive, but I understand that with the fuel prices increasing, car insurance being ridiculously priced, lessons and the test being expensive, is it even worth driving? Of course, It would be a lot easier if I could drive, but at the same time it's very expensive to run a car at the moment. Is it me, or is it becoming a lot more expensive to drive now? And are the idiots on the road to blame for sky rocketing prices for insurance etc? Just curious of your views!
    It is pretty expencive running a car. The costs involved with driving cant be avoided either (insurance etc). The petrol prices are rediculous though, and so is insurance really- i do kind of blame boy racers a bit for the price of insurance for young drivers though.

Yes it's getting more expensive, and the longer you put off starting driving, the more expensive it's going to be.

I enjoy driving and see it as a hobby so I'm not going to stop any time soon. The only public transport that takes you to the door of where you want to go is much more expensive than driving so I don't see the point in giving it up.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.