Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi there
    I go to a business school abroad. I have made some friends but only among the international crowd - I find it hard to make friends with the girls who are from here. My old school was very posh with basically all the children of the country's richest people. I am a west end girl and I suppose I have that look since I spend on clothes, but I don't think I am 'flashy' or anything like that. My style is more subtle, I wear ballerinas, a burberry trench, tight black pants, pearl earrings etc. Most of the people from my new school are quite well off - the girls I manage to talk to always point it out. "You know there are so many people with money here". I feel like they may look at me a little differently.I am a little shy, but I am used to being able to get in contact with people anyway. I'm not looking to change my style to fit it, but are your experiences that the 'codes' for what people look like vary from country to country?

ReputationRep:
    http://images2.memegenerator.net/Ima...ame=posh-babby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi there
    I go to a business school abroad. I have made some friends but only among the international crowd - I find it hard to make friends with the girls who are from here. My old school was very posh with basically all the children of the country's richest people. I am a west end girl and I suppose I have that look since I spend on clothes, but I don't think I am 'flashy' or anything like that. My style is more subtle, I wear ballerinas, a burberry trench, tight black pants, pearl earrings etc. Most of the people from my new school are quite well off - the girls I manage to talk to always point it out. "You know there are so many people with money here". I feel like they may look at me a little differently.I am a little shy, but I am used to being able to get in contact with people anyway. I'm not looking to change my style to fit it, but are your experiences that the 'codes' for what people look like vary from country to country?
    I know it is cliched but be yourself. Everyones different, no point trying to fit into a mainstream ideal.

ReputationRep:
    Don't change your style to fit in with people. Chances are you wouldn't find them to be great friends anyway. True friends will be the ones that accept you for how you are now, maybe you just havn't found them yet. x

ReputationRep:
    that must be quite hard going international, i'd love too but not sure i'm brave enough!

do you speak the language well? that might be a slight barrier too. i don't think it's to do with how much cash you've got, it's not your fault your parents are privelidged, it's the way you act about it that matters, and you sound very level headed. you'll always get people with chips on their shoulders so i'd ignore those people, but i don't think people mind how you dress etc.

where are you from and where are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of in the same situation, but reverse. - I go to Oxford and I'm just a normal guy with parents with normal jobs. I would never try to act or dress to fit in. Many people believe I'm below them, but that's not my fault, that's there's with their ignorance.

What school did you go to?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.