Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will complete an HND in June. Let's assume I nail everything, every year, and graduate everything.

I have applied for a 4 year degree starting 2011.

SLC have said over the phone I will only get a maintenance LOAN for the first 2 years, the final 2 years I will be able to get tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. Which leaves me paying the tuition fees for 2 years out of my own pocket. Doable, but I'd rather not eat into life savings if I don't have to.

Now I know it's ''course you study + 1 year'' but this doesn't exactly fit with that. I would also like to find written information on this. I haven't been able to find it anywhere, I'm sure there are plenty like me going in with HNDs.

The HND is in a college, not a university, so no matter where I go, it will be a new course/institution. Also, I will be 21 at the start of my 2nd year, does this amount to anything or change something?

Any finance wizards out there?

ReputationRep:
    Not an April Fool's gag. It's true.

ReputationRep:
    What is the reason for it?

Why skip 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    Entitlement is length of course + 1 year - years already had.
    They must consider your HND as equivalent study and have taken it off your entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    ... That doesn't seem right. I'm assuming you didn't get any student finance for your HND?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    ... That doesn't seem right. I'm assuming you didn't get any student finance for your HND?
    A Higher National Diploma (HND) is a higher education qualification in the United Kingdom. This qualification can be used to gain entry into universities, and is considered equivalent to the first or second year of a university degree course.

ReputationRep:
    Just saw this on the website... maybe ring them up and ask about this?

You’ll usually only be able to get student finance if you’re doing a first higher education qualification. In some cases, you can also get student finance if you’re ‘topping up’ a lower-level higher education qualification. For example, if you have a foundation degree, HNC or HND you may still qualify for student finance to study for an honours degree.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...rted/DG_171574

ReputationRep:
    Should only be the first year that needs to be self funded. Only escape is direct entry into year two of the degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Should only be the first year that needs to be self funded. Only escape is direct entry into year two of the degree.
    I have an option to do that. But what I want to do now has changed, so instead of the HND and going into a 2nd year to top up for 2 years I want to start a new course.

They are unrelated by name, but very related in a real world professional level, or at least can be, just it's not common for it to happen.

I guess it's just wasting 2 years on an HND, but it lead to the path I'm on now, and I couldn't be happier I found my way here. If this is the case it's just less debt to be in, and I only pay the fees, rather than it compounding interest for a good few years.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.