Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will complete an HND in June. Let's assume I nail everything, every year, and graduate everything.

I have applied for a 4 year degree starting 2011.

SLC have said over the phone I will only get a maintenance LOAN for the first 2 years, the final 2 years I will be able to get tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. Which leaves me paying the tuition fees for 2 years out of my own pocket. Doable, but I'd rather not eat into life savings if I don't have to.

Now I know it's ''course you study + 1 year'' but this doesn't exactly fit with that. I would also like to find written information on this. I haven't been able to find it anywhere, I'm sure there are plenty like me going in with HNDs.

The HND is in a college, not a university, so no matter where I go, it will be a new course/institution. Also, I will be 21 at the start of my 2nd year, does this amount to anything or change something?

Any finance wizards out there?

ReputationRep:
    Not an April Fool's gag. It's true.

ReputationRep:
    What is the reason for it?

Why skip 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    Entitlement is length of course + 1 year - years already had.
    They must consider your HND as equivalent study and have taken it off your entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    ... That doesn't seem right. I'm assuming you didn't get any student finance for your HND?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    ... That doesn't seem right. I'm assuming you didn't get any student finance for your HND?
    A Higher National Diploma (HND) is a higher education qualification in the United Kingdom. This qualification can be used to gain entry into universities, and is considered equivalent to the first or second year of a university degree course.

ReputationRep:
    Just saw this on the website... maybe ring them up and ask about this?

You’ll usually only be able to get student finance if you’re doing a first higher education qualification. In some cases, you can also get student finance if you’re ‘topping up’ a lower-level higher education qualification. For example, if you have a foundation degree, HNC or HND you may still qualify for student finance to study for an honours degree.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...rted/DG_171574

ReputationRep:
    Should only be the first year that needs to be self funded. Only escape is direct entry into year two of the degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Should only be the first year that needs to be self funded. Only escape is direct entry into year two of the degree.
    I have an option to do that. But what I want to do now has changed, so instead of the HND and going into a 2nd year to top up for 2 years I want to start a new course.

They are unrelated by name, but very related in a real world professional level, or at least can be, just it's not common for it to happen.

I guess it's just wasting 2 years on an HND, but it lead to the path I'm on now, and I couldn't be happier I found my way here. If this is the case it's just less debt to be in, and I only pay the fees, rather than it compounding interest for a good few years.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.