Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think I'm getting bullied at work- what do I do? Watch

Basically, I work at a supermarket, and it's very "cliquey". Like, some people are really pally with the manager/supervisors whatever, and they get special treatment.

I'm quite a quiet and polite person, which contrasts with a lot of them who are very loud. I don't join in talking about getting wasted etc. like everyone else does, I just don't do that. I think they think I'm snobbish because I don't do stuff they do.

Anyway, this girl has told me that a few of them have been *****ing about me behind my back, some people I don't think I've even had a shift with. AND they cut my hours by a lot- said they had to make cuts, THEN they gave my hours to someone else (one of the "favorites.") I also had all my bank holiday shifts taken away for no reason. When I'm there they all talk to me like I'm crap.

I want to quit, but I really need the money (even though I'm getting less money than benefits atm.) but I'd be penalized if I quit. Help?

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the lower quartile of the population. What did you expect from a supermarket? Did you seriously think these people know anything about moral and social values?

You seem too clever for them anyway. Go educate yourself and stop being lazy like they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, I work at a supermarket, and it's very "cliquey". Like, some people are really pally with the manager/supervisors whatever, and they get special treatment.

I'm quite a quiet and polite person, which contrasts with a lot of them who are very loud. I don't join in talking about getting wasted etc. like everyone else does, I just don't do that. I think they think I'm snobbish because I don't do stuff they do.

Anyway, this girl has told me that a few of them have been *****ing about me behind my back, some people I don't think I've even had a shift with. AND they cut my hours by a lot- said they had to make cuts, THEN they gave my hours to someone else (one of the "favorites.") I also had all my bank holiday shifts taken away for no reason. When I'm there they all talk to me like I'm crap.

I want to quit, but I really need the money (even though I'm getting less money than benefits atm.) but I'd be penalized if I quit. Help?
    I'm going to be quite mean here, and if I'm wrong, then I do apologise.

That's life for you, especially work. People have their favourites, people act differently with other people. Quitting your job is just running away from it all. Now you're in a work place, it isn't like school. If you have an issue speak up for yourself. Believe me this goes on in 90% of work places.

Btw, is this your 1st job?

ReputationRep:
    are there any other jobs going in your area maybe?

and when you say penalised, how do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    im not sure how management is organised in supermarkets, but would it be possible to speak to another manager or supervisor.

or maybe someone from the HR department regarding your hours.

what sort of thing were the people saying behind your back, maybe you could address those subtly?

ReputationRep:
    The best course of action is to make an official complaint to the authorities/regional supervisor/HR department. I don't know what can be done, if anything, about the social dynamic of your workplace, but I'm certain the whole deal with your hours being reduced etc. for an unjust (and clearly a false) reason can definitely be addressed.

Provided they act to sort the issue out, it'll teach them a lesson. Whilst they stick to *****ing and gossiping during lunch breaks, you show them who's boss (literally) and let them know you mean business.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.