Turn on thread page Beta

What's it like when you return home from Uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if people get the same frosty reception I do?

So I'm in 1st year Uni and i didn't have enough money to keep my room in my flat over the holidays so had to move myself and all my stuff out.

Upon returning home there was nobody else in so I put my stuff in the spare bedroom and fell asleep. Clothes and all (had been awake for 3 days!) When I woke up my mum was screaming at me that I should have somehow woken up and and told her before.

Now apparently I "abuse her" because I was asleep

Actually this is a long line of mental things. Like this morning she pinched me as a joke but after years of being hit I didn't appreciate it.

Does anyone else get put in the boxroom and made to feel guilty about any of the food they eat/showers they have/elecetricity they use?

I'm sure it's not down to money. She has plenty money but just spends it on city breaks for herself and drugs. My birthday presents? A chocolate bar, can of deodrant and a dvd from a charity shop. Please tell me I'm not alone.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, i was gonna answer with it feels like im a child again with no independence after getting used to looking after myself.

Sounds like this is a specific problem with you and your mum

ReputationRep:
    Your thread made me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billydodger)
    Just wondering if people get the same frosty reception I do?

So I'm in 1st year Uni and i didn't have enough money to keep my room in my flat over the holidays so had to move myself and all my stuff out.

Upon returning home there was nobody else in so I put my stuff in the spare bedroom and fell asleep. Clothes and all (had been awake for 3 days!) When I woke up my mum was screaming at me that I should have somehow woken up and and told her before.

Now apparently I "abuse her" because I was asleep

Actually this is a long line of mental things. Like this morning she pinched me as a joke but after years of being hit I didn't appreciate it.

Does anyone else get put in the boxroom and made to feel guilty about any of the food they eat/showers they have/elecetricity they use?

I'm sure it's not down to money. She has plenty money but just spends it on city breaks for herself and drugs. My birthday presents? A chocolate bar, can of deodrant and a dvd from a charity shop. Please tell me I'm not alone.
    I didn't think you could do that. Haven't you entered a legal contract and you have to pay for what you signed for?

ReputationRep:
    I generally get a very welcomed reception when I go home. ;d

My parents never wanted me to leave home so I guess that's probably the reason. At least at home my mum knows I won't get into any trouble so she tries and makes me stay as long as possible lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I didn't think you could do that. Haven't you entered a legal contract and you have to pay for what you signed for?
    Nah you can move out over the holidays if you don't want to pay extra.

ReputationRep:
    dont come back.

You dont really need her.Get a part time job and forget she ever existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angie varona)
    dont come back.

You dont really need her.Get a part time job and forget she ever existed.
    But what do I do at Christmas?

ReputationRep:
    But what do I do at Christmas?
    If you've saved enough money you could go holiday or spend it with a mate etc.

Im moving to america for uni in the summer and i dont plan on comming home for 5 years.Might go around europe in holidays with mates but thats it.

Time for you to let go of them.

They hold you back tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Is your mum a banker?

ReputationRep:

Im moving to america for uni in the summer and i dont plan on comming home for 5 years.Might go around europe in holidays with mates but thats it.

They hold you back tbh.
    How can you afford Uni in America for 5 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalingaTheSlinga)
    Is your mum a banker?
    no why?

ReputationRep:
    Bad troll, must try harder

ReputationRep:
    How can you afford Uni in America for 5 years?
    well ive got alot of money on my own through some stuff(wont say) and parent giving me enough+grants+y job ive been doing since i was 16.

never come back bro.

You mum is from now on-void

ReputationRep:

They hold you back tbh.
    Wow mate, what did your parents do to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derp)
    Wow mate, what did your parents do to you?
    They're pointless from now tbh.I dont use them.Dont talk to them really.I like freedom without parent there watching and taking the piss out of every tiny mistake.

ReputationRep:
    They're pointless from now tbh.I dont use them.Dont talk to them really.I like freedom without parent there watching and taking the piss out of every tiny mistake.
    Unless they abused you or neglected you, it might be worth remembering that they are two of the minute number of people in the world who will ever love you during your life. You only get one shot at having parents - don't do something you'll regret. Oh and also, they wiped your arse before you could **** in a bowl. Have some respect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derp)
    Unless they abused you or neglected you, it might be worth remembering that they are two of the minute number of people in the world who will ever love you during your life. You only get one shot at having parents - don't do something you'll regret. Oh and also, they wiped your arse before you could **** in a bowl. Have some respect
    Well said pal!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.