Favourite piece of classical music? watch

ReputationRep:
    Beethoven's Pathetique

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    I like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callmeanapple)
    Absolutely fantastic piece of music! Thanks for sharing it with me!

Did you like the sound of cello when you were younger? For some reason, I just could not stand it, but after listening to Schumann's cello concert (in live) about two years ago, I just fell in love with it.
    Did any of you had similar experiences?

Just another favourite piece of music, if we talk about Schumann:
    Piano concerto in A minor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxGFP52NiAo

(and if I post a video by Martha Argerich, her interpretation of Ravel's piano concerto is one of the best in my opinion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcvUmkzMI80 )
    I've always loved the sound of the cello: I think it has a resonance that no other instrument can create, which gives a melancholy aspect to the sound. In my first post, I picked Elgar's cello concerto as a favourite. I think the first movement highlights all that I love about the cello (the Schumann concerto too, actually). Though with both pieces, I haven't found anyone to play it like du Pre did.

Funnily enough, for all the reasons I love the cello, I think the piano is one of my least favourite solo instruments. I need a deep sound of strings, not a clink of a key. Though having said that, I think Martha Argerich is amazingly talented. I do like some pieces, but for the most part the piano doesn't do anything for me

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh, so many to choose from! I won't even begin to get into film scores because I love so many and am a bit of a geek about them, but here's some of my favourite "classic" classical pieces from all eras.

Spoiler:
    Show

But my favourite, has to be The Planets Suite taken as a whole, and from within it, Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    Glad to see some Wagner fans here, yessss.
    Wagner was a genius, but I cannot enjoy any of his operas because I always fell asleep after the overture or during the first act (though, I have not had the chance to enjoy any of his operas in theaters or opera houses). Maybe once in the distant future. Until then, I worship the soundtrack of Luchino Visconti's movie: Ludwig.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3s77nZsO4

ReputationRep:
    Forgot about my other favourite:

0:36-0:50 = :love:

ReputationRep:

The whole symphony is brilliant, but the first and third movements don't fit into a single youtube clip so I didn't post them.

Obviously an all time classic in classical music itself. 1st movement is my favourite, but the whole concerto is obviously excellent.

Lovely, but I am not familiar with the full work that it is a part of.

Ravel is awesome.

There are some obvious contenders in the realms of solo piano music as well:

Also string ensembles:

(the third movement of this is particularly nice)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callmeanapple)
    Wagner was a genius, but I cannot enjoy any of his operas because I always fell asleep after the overture or during the first act (though, I have not had the chance to enjoy any of his operas in theaters or opera houses). Maybe once in the distant future. Until then, I worship the soundtrack of Luchino Visconti's movie: Ludwig.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3s77nZsO4
    Maybe your brain just can't handle how amazing Wagner's music is and shuts down?

If you haven't already, give one of the more energetic operas a try, Die Walküre or Siegfried maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta be Rachmaninov's Cello Sonata in G minor
    Or Saint-Saens Cello Concerto in A minor
    Or Tchaikovsky 6
    Or The Planets by Holst
    Or The New World Symphony by Dvorak
    Or Schubert's Death and the Maiden quartet

Too many to choose from! Youtube doesn't work for me but I'd definitely recommend looking them all up.

ReputationRep:
    Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18, Moderato being my favourite. LOTR soundtrack is epic, though less 'classical'?

ReputationRep:
    Spigel Im Spiegel - Arvo Part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8qg_0P9L6c

Simply Stunning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cartry)
    Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18, Moderato being my favourite. LOTR soundtrack is epic, though less 'classical'?
    I agree that Howard Shore's work on LOTR is, frankly, some of the best classical music of the last century. The painful, out-of-touch elitism of some (far from all) professional musicians and musicologists towards the "legitimacy" of great film music as part of the classical genre really pisses me off! If there were more orchestras regularly celebrating the great legacy of film music by performing it, then we'd have concert halls on every other town rather than just a few major cities. Average people want to listen to The Godfather, Star Wars, James Bond, Lord of the Rings . . . it's the some of the great music of our time.

Spoiler:
    Show

[youtube]XYsFd8qcbQk[youtube]

ReputationRep:
    To make up for the lack of woodwind -

Flute:

Clarinet:

I don't know any oboe music, but here's a bassoon one:

ReputationRep:
    Ralph Vaughan Williams - Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus

Schubert - Piano Sonata in B Flat Major D. 960

Schubert - Impromptu Number 4 in A flat Major

Bach - St Matthew Passion; Mache Dich Mein Herze Rein

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Grade 7 Pianist but, as I'm new to classical music, I'm finding it hard to find stuff to play!- especially as I don't know many pieces of music by name.
    I like pieces with a repeated rhythm such as the 1st movement of the Moonlight Sonata, or Schubert's Impromptu Op.90 (No.3 in G flat major), and other very pretty, delicate pieces like Clair de Lune, or the Pathetique, or Liebenstraum (although I'm struggling with that one).
    Can anyone recommend what I should try next?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gromit94)
    I'm a Grade 7 Pianist but, as I'm new to classical music, I'm finding it hard to find stuff to play!- especially as I don't know many pieces of music by name.
    I like pieces with a repeated rhythm such as the 1st movement of the Moonlight Sonata, or Schubert's Impromptu Op.90 (No.3 in G flat major), and other very pretty, delicate pieces like Clair de Lune, or the Pathetique, or Liebenstraum (although I'm struggling with that one).
    Have you played Debussey's first Arabesque? I don't think that's too difficult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6s49OKp6aE

ReputationRep:
    Gustav Holst's Planets; Jupiter. Incredible. Either that, or Peter and the Wolf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gromit94)

Oh and Brahms, *****es love Brahms

ReputationRep:
    Thanks danadd9 and j.alexanderh

ReputationRep:
    i've got my GCSE Music exam in a month and two weeks and we do a hell of a lot of classical!
    the best one i've come across so far is Schoenberg's Peripetie! It's just really interesting to listen to. It never gets boring! I must've heard it about a thousand times and yet I never know what to expect! lol!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.