Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite piece of classical music? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    Can you not listen via Spotify?

And I hadn't heard of it until just now! - I'll plough my way through it tomorrow when my connection's better

Also posting a general favourite piece, Mahler's 9th symphony:

I believe that it is a general opinion that operas shall not be simply listened to. If Wagner had only wanted to write the astonishing music of his operas, he would have done so. However, he did not only compose the everlasting tunes of the Ring Cycle, but he insisted on creating his own stage-work as well. Therefore, it can be argued that waiting to enjoy the opera in a live performance is a price worth paying for. (Although I've just said all these things, the first thing I did after reading your comment was searching for Wagner on Spotify! )

If you are interested in watching Ludwig, you can watch it on Youtube. But be prepared, because it is about 5 hours long. (Though if you do not fell asleep during a Wagner opera, then you can easily handle a movie.)

Mahler's 9 should be one of the 7 wonders of Earth, but what I can advise you is to go to a live concert and experience what the conductor, James Gaffigan, called 200 climaxes every 3 minutes.

P.S. The same conductor said that in a pre-concert interview that no conductor can sleep at night after conducting Mahler. Here's a video about him, rehearsing Stravinsky's Petrushka:
    http://player.vimeo.com/video/1085356

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWUe-...eature=related
    This is currently my favourite one.... absolutely beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    Für Elise by Beethoven.

Once you hear that you know you've just cleared another level in Phoenix (Taito 1980ish) - ahh, memories

Henryk Gorecki- Symphony #3.

Simply incredible.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of different pieces by Chopin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)

Bar none. (Also, Valentina Lisitsa is the most talented pianist alive; but that's just the icing.)
    I can't help but ask, how varied are your musical tastes? I ask this because I often encounter people who hear a single piece of classical music, declare it to be the best one there is and never listen to any more. A popular one is Claire De Lune - I have seen all too many people say that Debussy is their favourite composer despite only having heard the one piece by him, and presumably no pieces by any other composer of significance. To get back to your case, though, you have chosen a popular piece by a popular performer, and I do not mean popular in the good sense of the word. Moonlight sonata is one of the selection of pieces that people here and declare their favourite, and Lisitsa gives the impression of being very good to those who don't study her closely. Now, it could be that you actually have a full appreciation of a lot of music and have genuinely come to the conclusion that Valentina is your favourite performer, and if so I don't mean to cause any offense! It just annoys me occasionally that people are prepared not to educate themselves on classical music even when they know they enjoy it.

ReputationRep:

I hadn't heard it for years until I decided to make a Spotify playlist of classical music, and it instantly made me feel like a child again. I have no idea how I know it, but I felt like I knew it very, very well. My guess is that it was an accompaniment to a story when I was in nursery, but I find it very frustrating that I don't know! I don't really know much about classical music though, as you can probably guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    It just annoys me occasionally that people are prepared not to educate themselves on classical music even when they know they enjoy it.
    In fairness, it is bloody difficult when there is so much out there, about 350 years worth, and so many versions of each piece. It is pretty difficult to access classical music, especially if you don't play an instrument yourself. I broadly agree with what you are saying, in that it annoys me a bit when people believe themselves qualified to pronounce a 'favourite' piece when all they have heard is Air on a G string, Clair de Lune, Moonlight Sonata, Ride of the Valkyries, the New World symphony and Chopin's Nocturne in E flat, but I completely understand why people are 'afraid' of classical music. It can seem very daunting.

ReputationRep:
    Contender:

ReputationRep:
    Summers day - joe hisaishi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    I don't know any oboe music
    in reply to yours lack of oboe music; here is some good oboe pieces (:
    Cimarosa Oboe Concerto
    Britten
    Swan Lake Theme

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.