Turn on thread page Beta

boycott against tuition fees rises watch

ReputationRep:
    Please don't neg rep me if you think this is a rubbish idea, my friend suggested it but i'm not sure if it would work, for various reasons.

Instead of complaning about it so much, what if we boycott it. But don't not go to uni over it. But go to uni, get your degree, then be success but abroad. That way the only money we pay back if for the student loan. This way, the government would lose out on way more from the taxes you wouldn't be paying them. Plus because you did go to uni, you'll be earning more money and probably will be able to find a job easier abroad.

I think it's a good idea but with to many flaws; not enough people would want to move abroad or would be able to for example due to the language barrier, you have to get into uni first and some of the better jobs are in England especially for certain industries.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Because contrary to popular belief moving aboard will not solve your problems and can be bloody difficult. Plenty of people would find themselves missing home

ReputationRep:
    Not everybody wants to go abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Great idea, that way you're punishing the innocent people and government of the future for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Well move abroad then you prat, nobody will shed any tears because it is obvious that you are moaning whingey little git who has contributed nothing to this country and yet still has the nerve to demand the key to a better future on a plate. And when you do move abroad, it will free up space for foreign graduates who actually appreciate this country and actually know how to do a hard day's work.

ReputationRep:
    You do that. Perhaps if you actually researched the progressive system that's being implemented you would stop ignorantly waving your arms about the "£9000" and have some sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Great idea, that way you're punishing the innocent people and government of the future for nothing.
    So would a good idea to be to punish are MP's now? with the government of the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    You do that. Perhaps if you actually researched the progressive system that's being implemented you would stop ignorantly waving your arms about the "£9000" and have some sense.
    No, it's not a progressive system. People from poorer backgrounds might pay less than the rest of us, but family background shouldn't make a difference when you're a ****ing adult and have left home and shouldn't have to be dependent on your parents anymore. Also what about middle class people whose parents won't support them???
    there's also all the stuff about the payment coming to late to deal with the deficit, the fact that we're made to suffer because young people are now in the minority and therefore have less electoral power, the fact that older people are forcing us to pay for their debt and the fact that university education benefits everyone (we all need teachers, doctors, civil servants etc.).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteM/)
    No, it's not a progressive system. People from poorer backgrounds might pay less than the rest of us, but family background shouldn't make a difference when you're a ****ing adult and have left home and shouldn't have to be dependent on your parents anymore. Also what about middle class people whose parents won't support them???
    there's also all the stuff about the payment coming to late to deal with the deficit, the fact that we're made to suffer because young people are now in the minority and therefore have less electoral power, the fact that older people are forcing us to pay for their debt and the fact that university education benefits everyone (we all need teachers, doctors, civil servants etc.).
    I'd love to trawl through that to try and find a decent point, but I really don't have the time.

ReputationRep:
    Moving abroad would be problematic. Aside from any language barriers, you've also got the cost of going and living abroad, and the tuition fees which you'll pay abroad anyway (which often will be near what you'll pay here - you'll be an international student).

The rise in tuition fees to the extent they've been put up is absolutely bloody crazy, especially considering the vital nature of HE to the longer term competitiveness and success of the UK.

I really hope the Gov't follows through on their promises for bursaries etc. for poorer students, but the Gov't certainly doesn't have a great track record on the whole 'following through on promises' thing.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly you understand nothing.

It's a progressive system because repayements are based on your earnings after you graduate. They're higher for those who earn more and lower for those who earn less. You can come from a very poor family but if you're earning £100k a year after you graduate you're no longer poor.

ReputationRep:
    1) Don't want to leave my friends and family
    2) If there is a large "brain drain" of graduates from the UK moving abroad, the poor in this country will suffer in the future from the lack of quality teachers, managers, doctors, economists etc. etc.
    3) I don't disagree with the tuition fee rise (will happily debate this point with anyone who disagrees).

So yeah... bad idea, basically.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be off to Australia after uni anyway. This country is just gradually turning into a pile of poo.

ReputationRep:
    So you genuinely think you are owed a living?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    So would a good idea to be to punish are MP's now? with the government of the future?
    Well they need to be accountable yes, though I'm not sure they've done anything quite worthy of punishment yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to move abroad when I graduate to hopefully earn some decent money and be able to keep it for a few years. I expect more people will move abroad for the same reason but it will be a very insignificant number.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah....please can you go and read the actual policy before posting a wall of text that has says nothing.

Its progressive, as stated before you don't pay an actual penny until after you graduate and even then its only after you earn £21k a year.

ReputationRep:
    FFS I said this way my friends idea, an idea which i thought was flawed and wouldn't work why the F*** am i being neg repped for something i don't agree with - I'm only looking for other peoples opinions.

(Original post by Wilzman)
    Moving abroad would be problematic. Aside from any language barriers, you've also got the cost of going and living abroad, and the tuition fees which you'll pay abroad anyway (which often will be near what you'll pay here - you'll be an international student).

The rise in tuition fees to the extent they've been put up is absolutely bloody crazy, especially considering the vital nature of HE to the longer term competitiveness and success of the UK.

I really hope the Gov't follows through on their promises for bursaries etc. for poorer students, but the Gov't certainly doesn't have a great track record on the whole 'following through on promises' thing.
    He thought we could go to english unis first then move abroad - of course the language barrier is no problem for him, he is doing well at a-level spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    I'm going to move abroad when I graduate to hopefully earn some decent money and be able to keep it for a few years. I expect more people will move abroad for the same reason but it will be a very insignificant number.
    I might go to malta . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    So you genuinely think you are owed a living?
    FFS I said this was my friends idea and pointed out the flaws to him, which I stated above

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.