Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice about travelling to and spending time in New York/Orlando please? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Are the Greyhound buses really so bad? I'm about to book about 6 different trips with them over the course of a few weeks, the distances all being about 4 to 6 hours each. What you said about priority boarding is worrying, will we be okay if we turn up at the station really early or is it completely random? Surely if I have a ticket for a specific journey they can't turn me away, can they? :puppyeyes:
    Thanks so much! That's all excellent to know. I had no idea about the bus stations being out of the way though, assumed it would be like England where everything is pretty central and once you arrive in a city you can just stroll to a subway station and find your way to the hostel from there.

On the off chance you know the journeys/stations, the ones we'll be doing are:
    New York - Philadelphia
    Philadelphia - Washington
    Niagara Falls - Toronto
    San Francisco - LA
    LA - Las Vegas

The two in California are the ones I am most worried about as they are about 6 hours apiece, but if they are reasonably comfortable it shouldn't be a problem. Tbh it takes me about 7 hours all in to get from home to London by public transport via bus, train and tube and I do that trip pretty frequently so I'm not too worried about it I guess. All the routes I picked arrive in the afternoon so hopefully that eases the likelihood of stabbings but you never know :beard:
    New York's fine. It's huge and a little confusing, but it's not really all that sketchy. LA is a bit dodgy, and it's not that easy to find the taxis outside (if you go out of the main exit and take a right, there's like a little tarpaulin shack thing where the taxi drivers hang out on the pavement), but if you get straight out of there and don't talk to anyone dodgy-looking, you'll be fine. Like someone else said, if you use common sense, you'll be fine. I haven't been to any of the others you mentioned, although my friend goes from Philadelphia all the time, and she said it's not too bad. We arrived in Phoenix and I waited outside while my friend went back in to collect her ticket for when we were leaving, and she got approached by this crazy woman who was telling her all about how she'd been tortured. That was probably the weirdest thing that happened to us.

As for priority, we'd booked buses for specific journeys, and when we left Phoenix, there was a massive queue and we had to buy priority. I guess just check when you get there if there's a huge queue. They just let people on based on when they arrive, regardless of whether they've booked tickets in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_x)

Yeah I got told about the dodgy bus stations which is what has put me off them to be honest. I think I'm set on getting the plane down to orlando now. Any idea how much flights go up by closer to the time?

Do you know the name of the hostel in Times Square? I have one near Central Park but a back up place would be nice How do you enter the lottery for the Broadway shows? Is it similar to the westend ones where you have to go on the day and queue up?

Oh $30 for 4 days is cheap! I didn't consider using the hostel facilities, forgot they even had any, aha thanks for getting me to check it does have some. I assume that was you buying your own food and cooking it as opposed to eating out? What kind of things did you eat on that much if you don't mind me asking?
    I don't know how much flights go up closer to the time. We booked them all in advance. If it's anything like flights from the UK, it's definitely best to book early.

I think this is the hostel my friend told me about - http://www.bigapplehostel.com/

We bought our own food although we didn't cook it lol. By the time I got to LA and had $30 for four days, we found a Walgreens and lived on Pop Tarts, Lunchables and Vitamin Water.

ReputationRep:
    all i'm gonna say is don't use the greyhound buses if your down south lol dodgy as ****

ReputationRep:
    This thread makes me want to go travelling in the USA

And New York is lovely. Only bit of advice I have is to be reasonable, don't try and see EVERYTHING. My family and I did that over a period of 4 days, and ended up being shattered and getting kind of annoyed at each other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_x)
    I'll either be in Washington or New York on 15th August after camp then have roughly 2 weeks to travel. I'd like to start planning it roughly but this is subject to change as I meet people who might want to go elsewhere. I have a limit of about £1k (so about $1,500) to spend travelling, including getting back to New York where I have a flight home, but could go slightly over that cost if I really wanted to do something.

I've looked into trek America and tbh don't think you get a lot for your money. Green tortoise is better but their east coast trips aren't as good as their west coast and I'd prefer to go east coast.

I'm unsure whether to travel by plane or bus. I know most people prefer bus but as the two areas I'd like to see are New York and Orlando which are opposites end of the east coast I'd rather spend an extra day exploring america rather than sitting on a bus...I have two weeks max to travel, no more.

They key areas I'd like to see are:
    - 2+ days in Universal Studios in Orlando. I've found a decent looking hotel really cheap that has a free shuttle to Universal and plan to stay for at least two days to be able to see everything in the park. I was wondering if anyone know how easy it is to get from the airport to Universal Studio (the hotel is about 10 mins away)? Taxi or bus? I have no idea how practical this is. And maybe visit Kennedy Space centre
    I've estimated that this will cost me $10 a night for the hostel + $135 for entry for two days to both parks + $38 for Kennedy Space centre. And about $150-$200 for a 3 hour direct flight from NY ($198 for a greyhound which takes 28 hours) or $120 for a flight from Washington.
    =$400 from NY.

- New York. Again I've found a hostel ($19-$30) just off from Central Park (like the block along) which is cheap and ideally located. Within New York I'd like to see the empire state building ($20 for 86th floor), statue of liberty ($20), go to central park and time square, perhaps do a trip where you see locations of where friends was filmed ($42) and maybe a broadway show (~$80), depending on what is showing when I'm there. Is there anything really worth doing that I've missed?
    I've been to London a few times and can navigate the tube system just, is the subway in NY similiar? Do they do day travel cards with unlimited travel, is this the cheapest way? Again how easy is it to get from JFK to NY centre to get to the hostel? How long would be reasonable to do all of this in? A week?
    =$190

- My camp is close to Washington so if I don't manage to get to see some of this while at camp where would people recommend? Obviously I want to see the white house but what else is good and cheap? (:

- Finally if I have enough money I'd like to nip upto Niagra falls (the US side) and do the maid of the mist cruise. Which will be about $100-$150 on organised trips, I haven't looked into doing it myself yet.

I could do either Orlando or New York first but I think my camp gives you a free lift back to New York so I could do this stuff then fly to Orlando (when American kids will be back in school) do that then fly back to New York and straight home.

If anyone has any hints/tips/think to look out/information about queuing times for about the places I've mentioned I'd greatly appreciate it! I know to plan Universal is key and go to the busiest places first. In terms of the empire state building is it worth going to 102nd floor?
    I have heard of the New York city pass and haven't quite worked out if it works out cheaper for me yet but will do closer to the time.

So what I've wrote so far costs about $700. Obviously I have not budgeted in food/travel prices as I don't know them. Both NY and within Universal Studios will be expensive but I will try to save costs as much as possible and buy food in multi packs for snacks and just eat meals out. Does anyone have experience of how much I should budget per a day?

Thanks so much in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply

Wow OP this sounds like my dream trip...if the camp I've applied to accept me. They're in Massachussets but I really wanna go Disneyland and visit Florida, NY and Niagra. Oh and you can factor out the $42 for visiting the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. place-the external building is just a normal block of flats open to everyone. In fact when I went on a school trip I was surprised at how unbusy it was! The interior location is a film set so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circe)
    I don't know how much flights go up closer to the time. We booked them all in advance. If it's anything like flights from the UK, it's definitely best to book early.

I think this is the hostel my friend told me about - http://www.bigapplehostel.com/

We bought our own food although we didn't cook it lol. By the time I got to LA and had $30 for four days, we found a Walgreens and lived on Pop Tarts, Lunchables and Vitamin Water.
    That hostel looks great, thanks for the link
    Aha lunchables I used to love them! But I'm sure if we found a supermarket we could save a far bit of money on food so thanks.

(Original post by jimber)
    all i'm gonna say is don't use the greyhound buses if your down south lol dodgy as ****
    Aha thanks for the tip. Decided it's easier to fly now anyways (:

(Original post by flywithemma)
    This thread makes me want to go travelling in the USA

And New York is lovely. Only bit of advice I have is to be reasonable, don't try and see EVERYTHING. My family and I did that over a period of 4 days, and ended up being shattered and getting kind of annoyed at each other
    How much did you do in the 4 days?
    I'm not sure how much time i'll have but would like to do as much as possible.
    I'm thinking about maybe skipping Orlando (if no one wants to go, it's not the kind of place you'd go on your own) and spend longer exploring new york/going to Niagara Falls. That would give me a week for New York and 3 days for Niagara Falls, which I think seems pretty reasonable to do at a relaxed pace but still see lots.

(Original post by La Esmerelda)
    Wow OP this sounds like my dream trip...if the camp I've applied to accept me. They're in Massachussets but I really wanna go Disneyland and visit Florida, NY and Niagra. Oh and you can factor out the $42 for visiting the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. place-the external building is just a normal block of flats open to everyone. In fact when I went on a school trip I was surprised at
    how unbusy it was! The interior location is a film set so...
    Good luck with the camp!
    Oh the friends set is? So if you know where it is you can just go upto anyways? The tour I looked at also goes to loads of other places but to be honest I was only going for the Friends bit.

ReputationRep:
    Off to New York tomorrow :gah:

Will post up any tips when I get back :yep:

ReputationRep:
    So jealous of all this travelling around America! I got back from a week in New York last Thursday and it just wasn't long enough! Be a while until I can afford to go back though I imagine. I look forward to reading about this trips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_x)
    I'll either be in Washington or New York on 15th August after camp then have roughly 2 weeks to travel. I'd like to start planning it roughly but this is subject to change as I meet people who might want to go elsewhere. I have a limit of about £1k (so about $1,500) to spend travelling, including getting back to New York where I have a flight home, but could go slightly over that cost if I really wanted to do something.

I've looked into trek America and tbh don't think you get a lot for your money. Green tortoise is better but their east coast trips aren't as good as their west coast and I'd prefer to go east coast.

I'm unsure whether to travel by plane or bus. I know most people prefer bus but as the two areas I'd like to see are New York and Orlando which are opposites end of the east coast I'd rather spend an extra day exploring america rather than sitting on a bus...I have two weeks max to travel, no more.

They key areas I'd like to see are:
    - 2+ days in Universal Studios in Orlando. I've found a decent looking hotel really cheap that has a free shuttle to Universal and plan to stay for at least two days to be able to see everything in the park. I was wondering if anyone know how easy it is to get from the airport to Universal Studio (the hotel is about 10 mins away)? Taxi or bus? I have no idea how practical this is. And maybe visit Kennedy Space centre
    I've estimated that this will cost me $10 a night for the hostel + $135 for entry for two days to both parks + $38 for Kennedy Space centre. And about $150-$200 for a 3 hour direct flight from NY ($198 for a greyhound which takes 28 hours) or $120 for a flight from Washington.
    =$400 from NY.

- New York. Again I've found a hostel ($19-$30) just off from Central Park (like the block along) which is cheap and ideally located. Within New York I'd like to see the empire state building ($20 for 86th floor), statue of liberty ($20), go to central park and time square, perhaps do a trip where you see locations of where friends was filmed ($42) and maybe a broadway show (~$80), depending on what is showing when I'm there. Is there anything really worth doing that I've missed?
    I've been to London a few times and can navigate the tube system just, is the subway in NY similiar? Do they do day travel cards with unlimited travel, is this the cheapest way? Again how easy is it to get from JFK to NY centre to get to the hostel? How long would be reasonable to do all of this in? A week?
    =$190

- My camp is close to Washington so if I don't manage to get to see some of this while at camp where would people recommend? Obviously I want to see the white house but what else is good and cheap? (:

- Finally if I have enough money I'd like to nip upto Niagra falls (the US side) and do the maid of the mist cruise. Which will be about $100-$150 on organised trips, I haven't looked into doing it myself yet.

I could do either Orlando or New York first but I think my camp gives you a free lift back to New York so I could do this stuff then fly to Orlando (when American kids will be back in school) do that then fly back to New York and straight home.

If anyone has any hints/tips/think to look out/information about queuing times for about the places I've mentioned I'd greatly appreciate it! I know to plan Universal is key and go to the busiest places first. In terms of the empire state building is it worth going to 102nd floor?
    I have heard of the New York city pass and haven't quite worked out if it works out cheaper for me yet but will do closer to the time.

So what I've wrote so far costs about $700. Obviously I have not budgeted in food/travel prices as I don't know them. Both NY and within Universal Studios will be expensive but I will try to save costs as much as possible and buy food in multi packs for snacks and just eat meals out. Does anyone have experience of how much I should budget per a day?

Thanks so much in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply
    Are you going to camp airy or lousie Im going Camp Airy WHOOP mesage ne if you are

ReputationRep:
    Off to New York tomorrow :gah:

Will post up any tips when I get back :yep:
    Have a great time!

(Original post by hannahdaisy)
    So jealous of all this travelling around America! I got back from a week in New York last Thursday and it just wasn't long enough! Be a while until I can afford to go back though I imagine. I look forward to reading about this trips.
    Oh what did you do for a week there? Any tips on what to avoid or not miss out on?

(Original post by zohaib01)
    Are you going to camp airy or lousie Im going Camp Airy WHOOP mesage ne if you are
    Nah I'm not going to those camps but I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time there. Are you travelling afterwards too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_x)
    Have a great time!

Oh what did you do for a week there? Any tips on what to avoid or not miss out on?

Nah I'm not going to those camps but I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time there. Are you travelling afterwards too?
    oh right lol im in maryland and yeh travelling after not sure where just going to go with the flow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_x)
    Well one day was seeing family, but even then a week was just not enough! Really hoping to go back. We had one hot day and we got the subway down to Coney Island to walk along the boardwalk and see what it was like at the beach etc. Went to the Empire State Building at night and that was amazing. We went down to Ground Zero, and went to Battery Park to get the ferry over to Liberty Island and went inside the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty. There's lots of amazing shops to look around, the two big toy shops were Toys R Us in Times Square and F.A.O. Schwarz down Fifth Avenue, they are so different to shops we have here. Central Park is another place I'd definitely try and visit. We rented bikes and cycled around, it was lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_x)
    Aha lunchables I used to love them! But I'm sure if we found a supermarket we could save a far bit of money on food so thanks.

I'm thinking about maybe skipping Orlando (if no one wants to go, it's not the kind of place you'd go on your own) and spend longer exploring new york/going to Niagara Falls. That would give me a week for New York and 3 days for Niagara Falls, which I think seems pretty reasonable to do at a relaxed pace but still see lots.

Good luck with the camp!
    Oh the friends set is? So if you know where it is you can just go upto anyways? The tour I looked at also goes to loads of other places but to be honest I was only going for the Friends bit.
    If you are just going to have a couple of weeks, you could easily spend them on the East Coast, although you should be aware that if you are in NY in July/August it will be ridiculously hot. I've just come back from two weeks doing NY-Boston-DC-NY (I actually lived in DC for a while so I know those places quite well) and there was more than enough to do in that time. You could also fit in somewhere like Philadelphia for a day, or Chicago for a few days if you flew, and cut down on your time somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    OP, humidity in Florida is awful in summer. Don't do it if you don't handle heat well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_x)

Good luck with the camp!
    Yeah NY and Orlando sounds fun but I looked at a map and its quite far, considering most people's return flight will be from NY anyway. I'm also gonna leave Florida till next time. How near is Niagra Falls to NY?

Oh and the friends set is on the corner of Bedford and Grove in Manhattan-we just walked up to it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.