Turn on thread page Beta

Integration by Parts / Laplace Transform watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even sure that what I'm about to ask is possible. Just a pre-warning.

Because I live such a rivoting life I've spent some time this Friday evening trying to find the Laplace Transform of t^n, where n is a positive integer constant.

Why am I doing this? Well, the transform of t is easy to find, requiring just one iteration of IBP. t^2 takes a bit more effort, but is also relatively easy. Anything else is somewhat overkill. Plus I'm bored.

Now, the Laplace Transform of a function f(t) is given by \displaystyle\int^\infty_0 f(t)e^{-st} dt

i.e. for this function, we're considering \displaystyle\int^\infty_0 t^ne^{-st} dt

IBP:  \displaystyle\int^\infty_0 u\frac{dv}{dt} dt =\left[ uv \right]_0 ^{\infty} - \displaystyle\int^\infty_0 v\frac{du}{dt}dt

Letting

u = t^n so \dfrac{du}{dt} = nt^{n-1} and

\dfrac{dv}{dt} = e^{-st} so that v = -\dfrac{1}{s}e^{-st}

which leads us to consider

\displaystyle\int^\infty_0 t^ne^{-st} dt =\left[ -\dfrac{t^n}{s}e^{-st} \right]_0 ^{\infty} - \displaystyle\int^\infty_0 -\dfrac{1}{s}nt^{n-1}e^{-st} dt

which simplifies down to

\displaystyle\int^\infty_0 t^ne^{-st} dt = -\dfrac{n}{s} \displaystyle\int^\infty_0 t^{n-1}e^{-st} dt

Which also requires integration by parts. Using the same steps as above, we come to

\displaystyle\int^\infty_0 t^ne^{-st} dt = -\dfrac{n}{s} . -\dfrac{n-1}{s} \displaystyle\int^\infty_0 t^{n-2}e^{-st} dt = \dfrac{n(n-1)}{s^2}\displaystyle\int^\infty  _0 t^{n-2}e^{-st} dt

I would imagine, but haven't checked that the next stage would come out as -\dfrac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{s^3}\displaystyle\int^\infty  _0 t^{n-3}e^{-st} dt

Obviously this continues n times.

My question is this - how do you go about actually evaluating this integral? It's probably something blindingly obvious but my brain has stopped working. Or is it just not doable using elementary functions?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Well let I_n(s) = \displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} t^ne^{-st}\, dt. You've found that I_n(s) = -\dfrac{n}{s}I_{n-1}(s), and so you can apply this formula recursively (putting n \leftarrow n-1 and so on) until you get I_n(s) = (\text{something}) \times I_0(s), but I_0(s) = \displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} e^{-st}\, dt is something you can evaluate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Well let I_n(s) = \displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} t^ne^{-st}\, dt. You've found that I_n(s) = -\dfrac{n}{s}e^{-st}I_{n-1}(s), and so you can apply this formula recursively (putting n \leftarrow n-1 and so on) until you get I_n(s) = (\text{something}) \times I_0(s), but I_0(s) = \displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} e^{-st}\, dt is something you can evaluate.
    Not sure if it's a typo on your part, or obtuseness on mine, but how did a factor of e^-st get into the RHS? Surely that's contained within I_{n-1}(s).

EDIT: lol, speaking of typos... *sigh* [/irony]
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by EEngWillow)
    Not sure it it's a typo on your part, or obtuseness on mine, but how did a factor of e^-st get into the RHS? Surely that's contained within I_{n-1}(s).
    Woops yeah, that was definitely a typo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Woops yeah, that was definitely a typo.
    Anyway, just using this recursively is giving out the results I'd expect. Thanks! :-)
    (I knew it was something obvious! xD)

ReputationRep:
    You might also want to look up the gamma function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    You might also want to look up the gamma function.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it some looking at later, right now I have a cake to make.
    (Does the gamma function make this easier or more difficult than nuodai's suggestion?)

ReputationRep:
    The gamma function is essentially the same as the integral you're wanting to find. (So you'll see lots of possible approaches for evaluating it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.