Turn on thread page Beta

Can anyone help me with my make-up suggestions? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I was wondering if anyone could suggest a really good eyeliner and mascara that literally do NOT smudge! I have tried so many different makes of mascara, cheaper ones like Maxfactor false eyelash effect and more expensive ones like Channel and Lancome Hypnose, but every single one of them smudges on me

I love to put nice eyeshadow and when I first put mascara on it looks fine, but after a while it just smudges and makes me look like a panda! Sometimes the outer corner of my eyes water and the skin goes red and stings because I'm constantly wiping away the smudges

I'm not bothered about having longer or thicker lashes, just a mascara that doesn't smudge! I have no idea where I'm going wrong

Same goes for eyeliner, which I rarely where because that smudges even more! I can wear eyeliner on my top lid fine and it doesn't smudge. I normally use Bobby Brown gel liner or Gosh liquid eyeliner, but I've found these both smudge on my bottom line

Also, can anyone suggest a foundation that is really good for oily/combination skin? I used to use No7 mousse but they're discontinued it and I did find the mousse a bit too heavy. I don't have really bad skin, it just gets so oily!

Thanks for any suggestions/help

ReputationRep:
    Urban Decay 24/7 liner is THE best around, and I've tried several. It also comes in some lovely colours!
    I use MAC zoom fast lash mascara which I find great, even if it is a ***** to get off!
    As for foundation, if you have a problem with it being oily, try using a powder like rimmel stay matte either over foundation, or without if you have spot free skin. I find that keeps me shine free for most of the day

ReputationRep:
    So it goes on fine and then randomly smudges or is it an application issue? I've never had that problem but maybe try a waterproof one.

ReputationRep:
    Try an eyeshadow primer. I've heard things about Stay Don't Stray by Benefit. Also what do you use under your eyes? Do you set it with powder? Bobbi Brown does an under eye concealer with its own setting powder.

You could also try a setting spray? Urban Decay and elf do them.

Waterproof mascara would probably do the trick but it's quite drying for your lashes.

Try a mattifying primer? GOSH, No7, MAC and many more brands do them.
    Good liquid foundations: Revlon Photoready, MAC Studio Fix.

I used to have oiler skin and I absolutely LOVED this foundation: Shiseido Sun Protection Compact. It's a powder foundation with great coverage (but not too heavy). Depending on how oily your skin is you may need to touch up during the day but I really do recommend this. It's worth the money.

ReputationRep:
    So many sad faces hahaa!

Try MAC foundations, they will tell the best for your skin and it's amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    Urban Decay 24/7 liner is THE best around, and I've tried several. It also comes in some lovely colours!
    I use MAC zoom fast lash mascara which I find great, even if it is a ***** to get off!
    As for foundation, if you have a problem with it being oily, try using a powder like rimmel stay matte either over foundation, or without if you have spot free skin. I find that keeps me shine free for most of the day
    I've tried an urban decay one, I think it was the 24/7 one and it smudged which is so annoying because I've heard so many good reviews about it and I love urban decay (their eyeshadow primer is amazing!)

Yeah I don't get spots, it just gets a bit red and blotchy so I'd like a foundation that evens that out! Thank you for the quick reply

(Original post by cardine92)
    So it goes on fine and then randomly smudges or is it an application issue? I've never had that problem but maybe try a waterproof one.
    No it goes on perfectly fine! But then 20 minutes later I'll have the smudges underneath my eyes I don't tend to rub my eyes or anything either so I really don't know why it happens! Might have to be resigned to the fact that I have stupid eyes!

ReputationRep:
    I like cream eyeliners, I've only used testers of Urban decays which I liked but I can't afford it. ELFs cream eyeliner is a good compromise though, and as it's £3.50 if it doesn't work for you it' not a huge loss. Mascara wise No 7's exceptional definition is the only mascara that I've ever bought a 2nd tube of; I love it.

Do you find that you rub your eyes a lot when you're wearing eye makeup, or that they water more when you have makeup on? If so, maybe you're sensitive to the makeup and hypoallergenic stuff would irritate you less so there would be less smudging?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RahRah09)
    Try an eyeshadow primer. I've heard things about Stay Don't Stray by Benefit. Also what do you use under your eyes? Do you set it with powder? Bobbi Brown does an under eye concealer with its own setting powder.

You could also try a setting spray? Urban Decay and elf do them.

Waterproof mascara would probably do the trick but it's quite drying for your lashes.

Try a mattifying primer? GOSH, No7, MAC and many more brands do them.
    Good liquid foundations: Revlon Photoready, MAC Studio Fix.

I used to have oiler skin and I absolutely LOVED this foundation: Shiseido Sun Protection Compact. It's a powder foundation with great coverage (but not too heavy). Depending on how oily your skin is you may need to touch up during the day but I really do recommend this. It's worth the money.
    Thanks for the reply I always use Urban decays eyeshador primer because I love it! I use a Mac concealor under my eyes and then go over with a powder and it still happens :-/ sooo frustrating!

I normally always buy waterproof mascara, I got the Bad Gal waterproof mascara because I'd heard so many good things about it but that was probably the worst!

I have heard from a friend that the Gosh face primer is quite good, usually I use an oil free moisturizer, but I might give a primer a go! Where would I be able to find the Shieseido powder from? I don't mind spending more money because I always waste money on stuff that never works!

PS-I love the picture in your sig, who is the girl?

(Original post by secret_geek)
    So many sad faces hahaa!

Try MAC foundations, they will tell the best for your skin and it's amazing
    I just looked at my original post and saw what you meant! hahah I'm such a loser! But it's down to this evil battle with eye make-up, it's my enemy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samelam)
    I just looked at my original post and saw what you meant! hahah I'm such a loser! But it's down to this evil battle with eye make-up, it's my enemy!
    Also, I think you should just go to a MAC counter and explain your problem, they are always so helpful and do everything. You probably just need a primer for your eyeshadow and maybe you have sensitive eyes
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I find No7 waterproof mascaras don't smudge and I use Marks and Spencers eyeliner most of the time, sometimes the cheaper/unbranded stuff really is best!

I put makeup on, it stays on all day, I reapply for going out at night, it'll be perfect in the morning (maybe needing a bit extra in corners) and so I get a lot of wear out of it without smudges!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    I like cream eyeliners, I've only used testers of Urban decays which I liked but I can't afford it. ELFs cream eyeliner is a good compromise though, and as it's £3.50 if it doesn't work for you it' not a huge loss. Mascara wise No 7's exceptional definition is the only mascara that I've ever bought a 2nd tube of; I love it.

Do you find that you rub your eyes a lot when you're wearing eye makeup, or that they water more when you have makeup on? If so, maybe you're sensitive to the makeup and hypoallergenic stuff would irritate you less so there would be less smudging?
    Where can you buy ELF products from? I don't think I've heard of the brand before!

I try not to rub my eyes, I've found that sometimes my eyes water, normally when I go outside and it's windy, my eyes just water like crazy! :-/

ReputationRep:
    Also, I think you should just go to a MAC counter and explain your problem, they are always so helpful and do everything. You probably just need a primer for your eyeshadow and maybe you have sensitive eyes
    I do love Mac, but it's so intimidating going there! But I shall go tomorrow before work I did read good reviews about one of their foundations for oily skin, so I shall look into it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply I always use Urban decays eyeshador primer because I love it! I use a Mac concealor under my eyes and then go over with a powder and it still happens :-/ sooo frustrating!

I normally always buy waterproof mascara, I got the Bad Gal waterproof mascara because I'd heard so many good things about it but that was probably the worst!

I have heard from a friend that the Gosh face primer is quite good, usually I use an oil free moisturizer, but I might give a primer a go! Where would I be able to find the Shieseido powder from? I don't mind spending more money because I always waste money on stuff that never works!

PS-I love the picture in your sig, who is the girl?
    Monica Bellucci.

You can buy Shiseido at big department stores but I'd ring up beforehand to check that they have a counter. If not you can buy it online (but you won't be able to test the colour). The House of Fraser website has 10% atm or on here http://uk.strawberrynet.com/main.aspx they have discounts too.

Edit: Also, I found that my skin got a lot less oily when I started using a moisturizer that had essential oils in (they mimic the sebum you skin naturally produces and therefore you produce less). You may find that it doesn't work at first but I suggest giving it a try. Get a sample of Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturizer from one of their counters. Expensive brands always give out free samples <3 yaayy

ReputationRep:
    I do love Mac, but it's so intimidating going there! But I shall go tomorrow before work I did read good reviews about one of their foundations for oily skin, so I shall look into it!
    Haha I feel so intimidated too, but just think like sooo what just do it you only have to do it once then you can order online and stuff They are always so nice though they just look like plastic whores.

ReputationRep:
    Where can you buy ELF products from? I don't think I've heard of the brand before!

I try not to rub my eyes, I've found that sometimes my eyes water, normally when I go outside and it's windy, my eyes just water like crazy! :-/
    Only off the internet, but delivery isn't that expensive and fairly fast.

Ahh, that does sound irritating. If you can't work it out maybe you could buy a mascara and eyeliner from boots natural collection (it's 3 for £5 usually) just to make sure that it isn't sensitivity? Natural collection is meant to be pretty good for sensitive eyes. Or if it is only caused by the wind, start wearing glasses?

ReputationRep:
    I've found the waterproof version of Max Factor's False Lash Effect is amazing for not smudging. A friend of mine went swimming with it the other day and walked out of the pool with perfect eye makeup still...

As for eyeliner, I'm using Rimmel's Exaggerate waterproof at the moment which is doing a pretty good job of staying on my lower waterline. My eyes water quite a lot so I find that most things smudge a lot within about 10 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I feel so intimidated too, but just think like sooo what just do it you only have to do it once then you can order online and stuff They are always so nice though they just look like plastic whores.
    Hahah "plastic whores" That always seems to be the case on loads of make-up counters, the girls look like barbies! The last time I went to a mac counter I actually knew one of the girls because she worked on the Benefit counter which I was a regular at (they knew my name...not sure if thats a good thing... ) so hopefully she will be there! Should I just go there without any make-up on? Normally when I don't wear make-up I look ill/like a drug dealer :ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    put a thin line of eyeshadow primer just underneath your waterline, blend in lightly & then set it with a translucent powder. also try setting your liner with an eyeshadow of the same colour

ReputationRep:
    Hahah "plastic whores" That always seems to be the case on loads of make-up counters, the girls look like barbies! The last time I went to a mac counter I actually knew one of the girls because she worked on the Benefit counter which I was a regular at (they knew my name...not sure if thats a good thing... ) so hopefully she will be there! Should I just go there without any make-up on? Normally when I don't wear make-up I look ill/like a drug dealer :ninjagirl:
    I just think about how ugly they all would be if they managed to scrape it all of, then I don't feel self consicous at all :rolleyes: I looove benefit, I am just not a great fan anymore - MAC has taken over haha. Yeah I wouldn't wear makeup because they will just take it off again. If you go with a fresh face it is a clean palette for them to see what your skin is really like and stuff

ReputationRep:
    I've tried an urban decay one, I think it was the 24/7 one and it smudged which is so annoying because I've heard so many good reviews about it and I love urban decay (their eyeshadow primer is amazing!)

Yeah I don't get spots, it just gets a bit red and blotchy so I'd like a foundation that evens that out! Thank you for the quick reply
    Wow, I'm amazed it did that, when I have it on, it barely even budges, even in water! You must be doing some crazy things to your eyes :P

Have you tried max factor liquid illusion? I use that with rimmel powder over the top and I get a pretty even skin tone.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.