Turn on thread page Beta

Hey guys,

Over the last few months been very up beat about life, it's all been ok. But recently I found some stuff from my past that I wrote, and it's brought back a lot of memories of what I used to be like. I used to be quite an immature and insensitive person. I guess you could say I was with a "bad crowd", but that would just be an excuse for my own actions. I used to reject the culture I was from, treat everything as a joke, be insensitive to other peoples beliefs and basically rejected everything I am.

These days I can't seem to get over myself at all, all I think about on a daily basis is what I used to be. At times I even get convinced that my parents, who have always been there for me and care for me deeply, don't even love me. I'm filled with self guilt.

I'm really worried that this is going to encapsulate me. I've recently had counselling and came off a lot better, but all these new thoughts are brand new. I can't get over the selfishness of my past. Does anyone have any advice, been in similar situations? I'm sure I'd feel so reassured if I wasn't the only one.

Bump

Final bump

ReputationRep:
    Why are you feeling guilty over your past?
    Everyone has a past and everyone has done things they feel bad about, things they regret and even get upset at how they used to be. But life did not come with instructions hence we need to do all those things in order to know good from bad.
    Whatever you may have been like, you have changed and have come off a better and stronger person. You have your family and friends around you so let the past haunt you. Even the saints have a past they aren't proud so you have nothing to be depressed out.
    People change, things happen but we move on towards a better tomorrow and a better you - that is a part of life and to learn from your past and let go of it is a part of growing up.

(Original post by DeepStar)
    Why are you feeling guilty over your past?
    Everyone has a past and everyone has done things they feel bad about, things they regret and even get upset at how they used to be. But life did not come with instructions hence we need to do all those things in order to know good from bad.
    Whatever you may have been like, you have changed and have come off a better and stronger person. You have your family and friends around you so let the past haunt you. Even the saints have a past they aren't proud so you have nothing to be depressed out.
    People change, things happen but we move on towards a better tomorrow and a better you - that is a part of life and to learn from your past and let go of it is a part of growing up.
    Cheers for the reply. What your saying is right, I just need to accept that I was who I was and move on. I think I just need a bit of closure. I feel a bit like my life's on a knife edge at the moment, I know that if someone said something to me that I thought badly about myself it would completely break down my thought processes.

I just can't help the guilt. Every time I'm on my own for about 10 minutes it's all I can think about. I know I wasn't a bad child, always done well at school, very conscientious etc. I just can't help it. If I met my old self I think I would be disgusted by how he acted. I may speak to my parents about it and put it all behind me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Cheers for the reply. What your saying is right, I just need to accept that I was who I was and move on. I think I just need a bit of closure. I feel a bit like my life's on a knife edge at the moment, I know that if someone said something to me that I thought badly about myself it would completely break down my thought processes.

I just can't help the guilt. Every time I'm on my own for about 10 minutes it's all I can think about. I know I wasn't a bad child, always done well at school, very conscientious etc. I just can't help it. If I met my old self I think I would be disgusted by how he acted. I may speak to my parents about it and put it all behind me.
    If you want closure then maybe speaking to your parents would be the best thing to do as they know you best and have helped you changed to be who you are today.

I understand that your past isn't what you would like it to be but you have moved on now. Just by recognizing how different and wrong you were then compared to now, makes you a stronger person and shows that you have grown up since then.

No matter who you were, it is who you are today and who you might be tomorrow that should be your concern.

I hope you feel better soon. Life is for living, don't let yesterday haunt you so much that you can't even think about the joy tomorrow may bring.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.