Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why not cut foreign aid until we actually get the UK sorted out? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Foreign aid makes up something like less than 1% of government spending so there isn't really that much to cut...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    So because our great, great, great, great, great grandparents invaded, I now owe them money, despite their government being prosperous? Do I owe money to the United States and Australia too?
    Does this mean we can claim money from Rome because of the Roman invasion and France to?

ReputationRep:
    You are comparing a few public services cuts to starving African children in abject poverty?

I think it's you who needs to re-prioritise.

ReputationRep:
    We don't selflessly dole out this money. We expect (and receive) returns on it.

ReputationRep:
    So all the aid that goes towards foreign aid which gives food, clean water and medicine to third world nations should be cut?
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottpilgrim)
    Because when compared to half the world, our problems seem pretty trivial. We have 3 million unemployed, and not 20 million dying of dysentery. When you say 'get the UK sorted out' you fail to realise that actually, the UK is pretty 'sorted out' and we owe it to the rest of the world to give them something back
    This. It's about perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Because a few pounds in another country can save lives, whereas here we spend thousands on surgery for people who are often too lazy to take responsibility for their own health. And because the UK will never be 'sorted out' - that doesn't mean we shouldn't spend some money on making an enormous difference in other countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    You are comparing a few public services cuts to starving African children in abject poverty?

I think it's you who needs to re-prioritise.
    We normally disagree, but this is absolutely right. OP is ridiculous.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.