Turn on thread page Beta

Compatible personalities but no physical attraction? watch

Hi guys,

What would you do if you met a man/woman that you had so much in common with (similar interests, background, sense of humour, etc.) but there wasn't much of a physical attraction from your side? say the person in question was not unattractive, but just wasn't your type?

I know he definately likes me in that way, but I just don't feel the same way in terms of attraction. Yet we get on so well...I'm not sure what to do.

Help?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

What would you do if you met a man/woman that you had so much in common with (similar interests, background, sense of humour, etc.) but there wasn't much of a physical attraction from your side? say the person in question was not unattractive, but just wasn't your type?

I know he definately likes me in that way, but I just don't feel the same way in terms of attraction. Yet we get on so well...I'm not sure what to do.

Help?
    Close, platonic friendship?

ReputationRep:
    this is called a friendship, congrats.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go out in public with anyone who doesn't equal my attractiveness.

So OP, no I wouldn't

ReputationRep:
    I actually have this problem too. And I feel awful because it's like 'you're so clever and funny and if I was physically attracted to you I'd date you, but I just don't feel any physical attraction to you so it would all be a lie'.

Don't date them. It will only end up horribly. Keep them as a friend and let them know that while you think they're awesome, there will never be any chance of sex - this will save him going to increasingly desperate attempts to attract you, to no avail.

ReputationRep:
    How else would you define a friendship?

I know we are friends but that is the thing...we get on more than just your average friends. I think he is perfect boyfriend material and WANT to like him in terms of attractiveness, because I think we compliment each other really well. But I just can't...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Friendship.

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much broke up with my ex a few weeks ago because of that reason; we really click and I do love him but not in a sexual/romantic way. I should have gone with my gut feelings from the beginning tbh; it was silly trying to make it work when it didn't feel 100% right (I wouldn't suggest that as a route to go down, it just got harder and harder to break up with him and felt weirder and weirder...). Luckily, he is a great guy though, so after I broke up with him we got drunk and went out clubbing together. And now we're just good friends.

It was hard deciding just to be friends because I did keep thinking 'but you're so perfect' and was almost annoyed at myself for not being attracted to him in that way. I mean seriously, no idea why, because he's literally the nicest guy I've ever known, but it was definitely the right decision when I just wasn't feeling it. I kind of wish maybe I'd just tried to be friends with him from the start though, might have been less awkward.

So yeah, just be friends. Close platonic friendships with guys can be good.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if there actually ugly, or just not that hot, like you could do better. I think there has to be some attraction at least, I couldnt go out with someone I found ugly, but if it was just a case of a bit below average yet had an amazing personality I wouldnt really be that bothered, you tend to find people more attractive when you like them anyway

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.