The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coffee345
aww i havent started revising yet ><
ive got 3 exams next week...so been concentrating on them :frown:

how is biol4 revision going?

its going well, the thing about this exam is the HSW, they don't actually test your knowledge just crappy investigations.

urs?
Original post by User12399
its going well, the thing about this exam is the HSW, they don't actually test your knowledge just crappy investigations.

urs?

lol i agree!
its like January's paper was all on graphs and data @.@
what did you get in January?

i just hope that there'll be more recall questions this time :smile:
...very unlikely though ><
is anyone here doing BIOL5 revision as well?

I havent started revisiing for unit 5 yet :frown:

glad i'm not the only one!, i've got biol 5 too but done literally one chapter on it :frown: i feel really stressed that i wont pull it off, which other exams are u doing?
Original post by Pixiefairy
glad i'm not the only one!, i've got biol 5 too but done literally one chapter on it :frown: i feel really stressed that i wont pull it off, which other exams are u doing?

english lit, biology, chemistry.

Ive got 5 more exams left D:

what do you need in biology?
lol i agree!
its like January's paper was all on graphs and data @.@
what did you get in January?

i just hope that there'll be more recall questions this time :smile:
...very unlikely though &gt;&lt;

I got a D!!!!!

What did you get?

I have 5 more exams to go.
i also have chemistry!, and have 4 exams, i'm assuming you're doing both the chem units, 4 and 5?

i need a B in biology!! darnn what about you? :smile:
i also have chemistry!, and have 4 exams, i'm assuming you're doing both the chem units, 4 and 5?

i need a B in biology!! darnn what about you? :smile:

yup our school does both F334 and 5 during the summer -___-"

lol
I need either an A in Biology or A in chemistry >.<
lol oh wow!! i dont know how you can pull off an A in bio in a week!! thats amazing, i have to revise like months beforehand lol and even then i don't get an A!
I got a D!!!!!

What did you get?

I have 5 more exams to go.

i got a C >.<

but basically a D because it was a low C lol

lol oh wow!! i dont know how you can pull off an A in bio in a week!! thats amazing, i have to revise like months beforehand lol and even then i don't get an A!

June 2005 BYB5
Insect pests have developed resistance to pesticides. If the resistance is due to a single gene, explain how resistant insects could be produced when both parents are susceptible to the pesticide.

Ull be fiiiiine x
Reply 230
I haven't revised yet...

And I'm planning to only revise 2 days...
Reply 231
any ideas what the last few big six mark questions are likely to be on this paper?
Im resitting the january paper and i know succession and geographical isolation came up (i think!) on that one, so i doubt it will be them again.. i really need to do well in this exam!! :'(
Reply 232
Any ideass on hot topics which mite appearr??
my teacher listed on hot topics and they include everything in the book.

i think forensic science is very important.
(edited 12 years ago)
i got a C &gt;.&lt;

but basically a D because it was a low C lol

I need a B atleast!! Never thought biology was going to be this hard.

Original post by arvin_infinity
June 2005 BYB5
Insect pests have developed resistance to pesticides. If the resistance is due to a single gene, explain how resistant insects could be produced when both parents are susceptible to the pesticide.

Ull be fiiiiine x

What's the answer this this? Is it to do with recessive genes. The resistant gene is recessive and the two parents have the ressivw gene and the offspring are rr? (also other types would be produces). homo and hetro.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 235
what? parasite and host? not in biol4? aqa?

I was using one of the note from tsr and I came across "prey and predator" &"parasite and host relation." We all know pretty well the prey and predator one but the parasite and host one is slightly different. So I thought I might bring this question up.
Well I am not sure myself whether this is in AQA biol4 .Also @coffee I think it is from controlling pest(idk the full name ) chapter.

Comparing prey-predator and parasite- host.
Increase in parasite=decrease in host.
( Because as the no. of parasite increase they kill their host much quicker.)
Increase in prey=increase in predator( more food available, less competition etc)
And the other way round.
Reply 236
Resistant to pesticide= insect require only one gene
Parent both susceptile=they both dont have the gene,
How can the offspring be resistant?
Adultery! would get me no mark.
I think its possible with mutation( random change in base sequence). The change in base sequence either be substitution, deletion or mutagenic agent(not sure about this one) will code for a different amino acid/ not code for one amino acid. However this is enough to to change the overall protein function and this might somehow give insests resistant to pesticide.
Please correct me if I am wrong( which is obvious)
Original post by Rose1990
Resistant to pesticide= insect require only one gene
Parent both susceptile=they both dont have the gene,
How can the offspring be resistant?
Adultery! would get me no mark.
I think its possible with mutation( random change in base sequence). The change in base sequence either be substitution, deletion or mutagenic agent(not sure about this one) will code for a different amino acid/ not code for one amino acid. However this is enough to to change the overall protein function and this might somehow give insests resistant to pesticide.
Please correct me if I am wrong( which is obvious)

Yeah, a random mutation in their offspring whether it be random or due to mutagenic agents (there aren't a type of mutation, they increase the chance of a mutation occurring e.g. chemicals that disrupt transcription). If you want to go into more detail you could talk about how the change in the codons alters the primary structure of the polypeptide and hence the secondary and tertiary, changing the shape of the polypeptide and therefore its function.

Alternatively you could consider conjugation (horizontal gene transmission)
Reply 238
Original post by daughterofaprince
my teacher listed on hot topics and they include everything in the book.

i think forensic science is very important.

ey? we need to know forensic science? also what did your teacher say is likely to come up?
Hey guys! I was just marking the Jan 11 past paper and I was wondering whether the mark scheme did something wrong because I don't understand how it could have got this answer.

Basically on 5b) the answer says it is 2.75-2.81 for medium light intensity at 20 degrees C. But I think they got it wrong because that was for high light intensity...could someone confirm this? I got 2.4.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending