Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.23%
    NO!
    45.77%

ReputationRep:
    There's always 2 longer answer questions at the end of the paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N0547)
    There's always 2 longer answer questions at the end of the paper
    Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that succession and speciation were the long answer questions in January. So its not likely they will be the long answer questions again in June.

ReputationRep:
    Also biological control came up, so I think they must've put in 3 longer questions for January. I'm not too sure what they'll put in the summer - maybe photosynthesis and respiration questions, there's so few papers to make predictions from

ReputationRep:
    could someone please post the january unit 4 paper this year
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choc1234)
    could someone please post the january unit 4 paper this year
    thanks
    Here you go
    http://www.studentcreche.co.uk/showt...ght=biol4+2011

ReputationRep:
    I've only started revising for this today ! I hate this unit, anyone want to start the testing off?

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't even started revising this one yet. I got a D in the January exam and I need an A in the summer. The annoying thing is that I know the content, it's just the HSW questions that really get me. It was always going to be a bad exam!

I've just re-sat unit 1 and I think doing past papers over and over again really helped me. So looks like that's what's in store for me over the next 3 and a bit weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Heeeey everyone!
    I did this originally in January '11 .... i ended up with an E. LMFAO. :/ I guess its not something to laugh about. But yeah Realistically i need B.... But if i manage to get a C i could deal with that. I just completely bombed the exam. It was loads of HSW and i suck at that hahaha. Totally revised the wrong stuff. Just an awful exam.
    Hoping to do 100x better this time!

ReputationRep:
    isn't this exam on the 14th?? not 13th? and yeh took the exam in jan also, got a C - was such a terrible paper for me.... when i was doing questions beforehand it seemed fine then the exam just shocked me..... hopefully this time will be a lot better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    isn't this exam on the 14th?? not 13th? and yeh took the exam in jan also, got a C - was such a terrible paper for me.... when i was doing questions beforehand it seemed fine then the exam just shocked me..... hopefully this time will be a lot better!
    Nahh dude, it's PM on 13th! Well you can see where you went wrong at least and correct it for next time

ReputationRep:
    That was an awful exam, too much application and its not what I'm good at at all !! What do you think the grade boundaries will be for this out of 75? Previously its been 41/75 !?! What does everyone predict to come up ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickesh)
    That was an awful exam, too much application and its not what I'm good at at all !! What do you think the grade boundaries will be for this out of 75? Previously its been 41/75 !?! What does everyone predict to come up ?

well we cant really make any predictions on grade boudaries until the paper has been sat.....

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a link to any old past papers for unit 4 as obviously there are few new ones.
    I am resitting this and i need to do well. i got a C last time!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've looked through the site and cant find any threads on this exam that have really taken off, so with the exam swiftly approaching I think it would be good to have a thread that we can all use for revision and general discussion on this exam.....

so, how are people finding the revision for it etc?? ...

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    basically am stuck on genetics part. If a gene codes for a specific polypeptide chain how can you have different alleles which are the same gene because different alelles have different polypeptide chains( they usually have one amino acid thats different) and that would therefore make them different genes

Is it that the differences are so small, i.e. one amino acid difference still makes it the same polypeptide chain?

very confused
    any ideas or explanation would be helpful?

ReputationRep:
    basically am stuck on genetics part. If a gene codes for a specific polypeptide chain how can you have different alleles which are the same gene because different alelles have different polypeptide chains( they usually have one amino acid thats different) and that would therefore make them different genes

Is it that the differences are so small, i.e. one amino acid difference still makes it the same polypeptide chain?

very confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel1992)

very confused
    Alleles are variations of the same gene.

yes, i think that only a change in one or two amino acids won't affect the total polypeptide chain so the same protein is coded for (so same gene), but that difference is enough to change the characteristic it codes for....

make sense?

ReputationRep:
    what sort of things will come up in the exam,

does any one know?

I actually mean the likely topics they will be asking questions

ReputationRep:
    LOL i wish this thread would become a little more active! i could do with some people to talk to about this paper. What are everyones predictions for this time round? What are you hoping will come up?

To be honest i cant remember what was even on the exam in January. xD

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.