Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.23%
    NO!
    45.77%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    LOL i wish this thread would become a little more active! i could do with some people to talk to about this paper. What are everyones predictions for this time round? What are you hoping will come up?

To be honest i cant remember what was even on the exam in January. xD
    I'm going crazy over Unit 5 Its killing me.

All I have been doing for this exam is past papers. Should probably do some revision.

By the way, does anyone happen to have the Jan 2011 paper? And the markscheme? Will +rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    Alleles are variations of the same gene.

yes, i think that only a change in one or two amino acids won't affect the total polypeptide chain so the same protein is coded for (so same gene), but that difference is enough to change the characteristic it codes for....

make sense?
    yeah i get you thanx, and so polypeptide chains of the same gene can be different yet difference is small enough to make the charcteristic slightly different and not big enough to make the whole polypeptide very different so it can be classed as the 'same polypeptide chain' although it is a tiny bit different

makes sense thanx

ReputationRep:
    I've just opened unit 4 book now after Biol2 resit... start cracking hoping to finish energy & ecosystem and do a lot of exam questions,, followed by Nutrient cycle. what do you think is that good way to revise for this unit..

ReputationRep:
    Even the thought of resitting this exam makes me wanna cry! Revised properly in january, got a D- which may I add was the 3rd highest grade in my class! I HATE ECOLOGY!

But yeah, my advice to you- don't dismiss ecology thinking you can blag it and only revise ATP/resp./photosyn. in detail.

ReputationRep:
    I revised my ass off and got an E in January. I know where i went wrong though. Its only just over 2 weeks away... ARGHH. ;(
    I find it so hard to remember all the chemicals/stages in respiration. =[ I can just about grasp photosynthesis....

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know why fingerprinting has thicker and thin bands in one method but the other method has all thin bands?

ReputationRep:
    please how do you know the limiting factor photosynthesis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adedolapo)
    please how do you know the limiting factor photosynthesis
    depends on the question. but the limiting factors in general are light, CO2, temperature

So in the question, whichever is limited then that is a limiting factor.

Ie, if a plant was overshadowed by lots of other taller plants, but the external temperature was optimum for all plants in that area, then I would assume the limiting factor to be light intensity. in this example you could even say that CO2 might be a limiting factor if lots of other plants in the same vicinity are competing for it.... but temperature is not limiting....

ReputationRep:
    oh thanks i think i undrestand now.Please can u explain absorption and action spectrum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adedolapo)
    oh thanks i think i undrestand now.Please can u explain absorption and action spectrum

lol whats that?? which part of the course is it, i think i might call it something different...

ReputationRep:
    it is part of biology, under photosynthesis.

ReputationRep:
    hey, has anyone got any asnwers to exam style questions on unit 5 too?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got any ideas what would come up for the last 3 questions?

i have a feeling it'll be on:
    -eutrophication/leaching
    -hardy-weinberg principle
    -energy transfer

ideas?

ReputationRep:
    i am also sitting for this exam , how is everyone's preparation going?
    is anyone planning to group discuss for this exam?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what to do !!
    Probably just some past papers

ReputationRep:
    Yeh same not sure what to do either. might do some past papers also. although i need to look at some things in more detail like energy transfer, photosystems, all that shizzle....

ReputationRep:
    Yeh same not sure what to do either. might do some past papers also. although i need to look at some things in more detail like energy transfer, photosystems, all that shizzle....
    Am stuck in this question

Q6 Jun 8 BYA5

Cant figure out how we can have affected male if the disease is recessive & sex-linked !!!
    Recessive needs 2 copies to appear in the phenotype! COnfusingg

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have like a set answer to succession ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arvin_infinity)
    Am stuck in this question

Q6 Jun 8 BYA5

Cant figure out how we can have affected male if the disease is recessive & sex-linked !!!
    Recessive needs 2 copies to appear in the phenotype! COnfusingg
    In a male, a recessive gene will still be shown in the phenotype if it occurs on the X chromosome.

Ie, if for example colour for eyes was sex linked and 'A' is the dominant allele for blue but 'a' is the allele for green. in a female if she was to have green eyes it her genotype must be X^a X^a

but in a guy it can be X^a Y

ReputationRep:
    In a male, a recessive gene will still be shown in the phenotype if it occurs on the X chromosome.

Ie, if for example colour for eyes was sex linked and 'A' is the dominant allele for blue but 'a' is the allele for green. in a female if she was to have green eyes it her genotype must be X^a X^a

but in a guy it can be X^a Y
    Noww ..I get it..thanks

same paper q8
    1-DUnno why carnivore respire more
    2-8c mark scheme says nitrogen fixation for obtaining ammonium !!:confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.