Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.23%
    NO!
    45.77%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiskeyinthejar)
    Thank you so much for this! I never understood it when we went through it in class and my lecturer gave up on me in the end. I get it now!
    im just rewatching all his videos now. he explains it so well!

ReputationRep:
    Guys what on conservation do wee need to know......I barely know anything.....The CGP has 3 pages full of it whereas the nelson thornes only has like a page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master.K)
    Guys what on conservation do wee need to know......I barely know anything.....The CGP has 3 pages full of it whereas the nelson thornes only has like a page.
    I'm going to stick with NT on this.
    Conservation is the management of the Earth's natural resources, so that we can maximise our use of them.
    Reasions for this: ethical - think of the poor animals and plants
    economic - species in the rainforests could have medical uses, we can use wood, oils, rubber etc.
    cultural and aesthetic - the explanation for this one always makes me laugh in the CGP book. Please can we have some real biology?

Conservation is usually achieved by managing succession.

In the spec, all it says is: - Conservation of habitats frequently involves management of succession.

Candidates should be able to:
    Use their knowledge and understanding to present scientific arguments and ideas relating to the conservation of species and habitats

Evaluate evidence and data concerning issues relating to conservation

Explain how conservation relies on science to inform decision-making

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    I'm going to stick with NT on this.
    Conservation is the management of the Earth's natural resources, so that we can maximise our use of them.
    Reasions for this: ethical - think of the poor animals and plants
    economic - species in the rainforests could have medical uses, we can use wood, oils, rubber etc.
    cultural and aesthetic - the explanation for this one always makes me laugh in the CGP book. Please can we have some real biology?

Conservation is usually achieved by managing succession.

In the spec, all it says is: - Conservation of habitats frequently involves management of succession.

Candidates should be able to:
    Use their knowledge and understanding to present scientific arguments and ideas relating to the conservation of species and habitats

Evaluate evidence and data concerning issues relating to conservation

Explain how conservation relies on science to inform decision-making
    Lol....Thanks man!
    Rep.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question guys, how do you work out the likelihood of the next child of 1 and 2 being a female with a disease, if the chance of the next child having a disease is 50%?

I know the answer is 25%, but how do you get there?

Is it it just: chance of child having disease: 50%. Chance of child being female: 50% so 50/2 = 25%?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tericon)
    Quick question guys, how do you work out the likelihood of the next child of 1 and 2 being a female with a disease, if the chance of the next child having a disease is 50%?

Is it it just: chance of child having disease: 50%. Chance of child being female: 50% so 50/2 = 25%?
    i would do x 1/2 but yeah, same thing i think

ReputationRep:

yeh ... just divide it by two as there is a 50/50 chance of it being male or female. you looking at the first question on the spec paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    yeh ... just divide it by two as there is a 50/50 chance of it being male or female. you looking at the first question on the spec paper?
    Yes, just checking i understand every single past paper question, then I'm going to go over Resp, Photo and Energy Transfer. Then im going to panic. A lot. Thanks btw

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going over genetics since I already know 90% of it from the last exam, it was the other stuff that brought me down.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, just checking i understand every single past paper question, then I'm going to go over Resp, Photo and Energy Transfer. Then im going to panic. A lot. Thanks btw
    no worries. yes im panicking big time haha. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    you too

ReputationRep:
    chap 8 i dont get those diagrams and stuff, im only gd at remembering key words and hardy lol

ReputationRep:
    So ****ing nervous

ReputationRep:
    So ****ing nervous
    you too
    Y'all gotta relax :ahee:

At least your anxiety makes you revise harder, I'm so relaxed I can't even be bothered to revise the day before...

ReputationRep:
    hey, does anybody reckon they could ask a 5 mark question on conservation? For example, the importance of it? if so what will you include?

Also, do you think they can ask a five marker on climate change, carbon dioxide and methane?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Y'all gotta relax :ahee:

At least your anxiety makes you revise harder, I'm so relaxed I can't even be bothered to revise the day before...
    Lol but I'm not revising... I'm sitting here just staring at the electron transport chain pages of NT.
    How are you relaxed

ReputationRep:
    BRING IT ON

The majority of the time, it's the calculation questions, where you read of graphs, and have to do rates, and whatnot that I just cannot get right. (weinberg etc. is fine)
    And i do a level maths. fml.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Lol but I'm not revising... I'm sitting here just staring at the electron transport chain pages of NT.
    How are you relaxed
    Same for some reason it always confuses me

ReputationRep:
    khanacademy on youtube people! works wonders!

ReputationRep:
    I've revised all I can now.....Dno what to do.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.