Turn on thread page Beta

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.23%
    NO!
    45.77%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    im sure the question didn't solely specify nitrogen. i though it said how do decomposers make the products in dead matter available to plants for growth or something.

so i talked about digestion by microorganisms...the ammonium ions they produce which is converted into nitrogen, and then the fact they respire co2 which is also used. etc etc. obviously in much more detail than that though.
    I just remember reading 'nitrogen in dead leaves available to plants' but eh, oh well! I've got some of the points in the sense that I mentioned extra cellular digestion, ammonium then nitrates through nitrification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura-Robbie)
    for the ticks i had all three at top, 1 each for photosynthesis and aerobic respiration and then one for aerobic respiration on the bottom row, i can't remember what the 2nd row was now though
    I had all 3 at the top, 3rd row i had photosynthesis and respiration, and for which are present in organelles i also had photosynthesis and respiration.... but not anaerobic respiration.

ReputationRep:
    thats what i thought, i never even thought about simplifying lol havent done maths in two years so i guess thats understandable lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickgooner92)
    I got 12% for the hardy Weinberg, because they asked for the percentage that were homozygous recessive only and you know that 0.2 was the frequency of the recessive allele in the entire population, not just the homozygous recessive, so that includes the r alleles in the heterozygous aswell. so wouldn't you have to subtract the value for the frequency of heterozygous alleles by 0.2 and then just multiply by 100?
    the question asked find out how many are homozygous recessive in the population.

so its simply q = 0.2, 0.2^2 = 0.04 = 4%

ReputationRep:
    I put stabilising selection because the recessive allele was present in such small numbers (only 4% from hardy weinberg question) and then went down to even lower which suggest it was at an extreme of the total alleles. therefore the decrease in recessive alleles means there were more alleles produced that weren't recessive and so closer to the middle of the range of alleles where most are present so its STABILISING SURELY
    its surely directional as the question stated that there was extinction etc so clearly the environment was changing

ReputationRep:
    I had all 3 at the top, 3rd row i had photosynthesis and respiration, and for which are present in organelles i also had photosynthesis and respiration.... but not anaerobic respiration.
    i got all 3 on top and 2nd top and then photosynthesis and anaerobic resp bottom

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess I'm done guys, now it's time for Unit 5!

And 3 other exams...

ReputationRep:
    what was the reason the breeder of the cats didnt get what he expected and is it possible for him to get all brown cats?alsooo in the net productivity why was the net productivity higher in august than in july?ALSOO was it jsut me or was there actually nothing on respiration?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    what do people think the raw mark grade boundries will be. i'm thinking quite high around 45/50 for an a , 40/45 for a b and 35/40 for a c, what do others think??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickgooner92)
    I got 12% for the hardy Weinberg, because they asked for the percentage that were homozygous recessive only and you know that 0.2 was the frequency of the recessive allele in the entire population, not just the homozygous recessive, so that includes the r alleles in the heterozygous aswell. so wouldn't you have to subtract the value for the frequency of heterozygous alleles by 0.2 and then just multiply by 100?
    no idea what kind of equation you are trying to use.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote stabilizing aswell

ReputationRep:
    Right is the electron transfer chain the same as the electron transport chain, if u look at the spec, it says electron transfer chain with photosynthesis and electron transport chain with respiration, and i didnt know weather to tick the bottom row for photosynthesis, i did end up ticking it though

ReputationRep:
    another question:

what is birth rate? - I just said the amount of birth in a population in 1000..... dunno if this is right, or i needed to say as a percentage or something?

then for the next part i said:

In both male and female categories the life expectancy is greater in the UK than is Sudan (stated the values) ... then i said, in the both UK and Sudan, the life expectancy of females is greater than males (stated the values) ...

reasons: Sudan is an LEDC - poor healthcare, sanitation, diet. Men are a lot more likely to be sent to war than women and the chances of dying are a lot higher than if not going to war, so life expectancy of males on average is less.

couldnt think of anything except war lol? now im out of the exam i though that males might be more susceptible to recessive diseases as they only have one x chromosome??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben10)
    its surely directional as the question stated that there was extinction etc so clearly the environment was changing
    there was near extinction because of poachers but surely that wouldn't count as a environmental change, i thought they would only count abiotic factors with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FML123)
    what was the reason the breeder of the cats didnt get what he expected and is it possible for him to get all brown cats?alsooo in the net productivity why was the net productivity higher in august than in july?ALSOO was it jsut me or was there actually nothing on respiration?!?!?!?
    I put that the 'chance' of each cat being chocolate or cinnamon was equal, but there wasn't an equal chance that the whole litter would be proportionally chocolate and cinnamon. The probabilities only focus on individuals.

The net productivity was higher because respiratory losses were lower, ie. respiration rate was less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura-Robbie)
    what do people think the raw mark grade boundries will be. i'm thinking quite high around 45/50 for an a , 40/45 for a b and 35/40 for a c, what do others think??
    i think they'll be higher because most people are saying that the exam was easier than the jan one...

in jan 47 was an A...so it could be 55/60 for an A possibly..

but i guess it depends on how the rest of the country who sat this exam found it! :P

ReputationRep:
    i think for the ticky one they meant the eledtron transport chain as in the one in respiration, tbh the transfer chain never crossed my mind on that question , i gues though nothing ca change now and results day will loom in the annoying distance lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FML123)
    these cat questions were weird i agree. I said that predicting the frequency of alleles in the genotype of offspring is just an estimate and the actual result is completely random so any of the possibilities can be produced.

I said that he can produce just chocolate fur cats if the parents genotypes were homozygous 'bb' or one parent was 'bb' and the other heterozygous 'bbi' .... and explained why.

for the net productivity higher in august i said respiration is an enzyme controlled reaction. at the lower temperature of 18 degrees in august the enzymes have less kinetic energy so the rate of photosynthesis is lower and so respiratory losses are lower, therefore meaning the net productivity is higher.

what did you put???

ReputationRep:
    I was convinced this exam would have plenty of respiration, but it didnt! So i spent 2 days learning them bloody cycles and reactions for nothing!
    Anyone on the first ATP question as to why it is efficient in humans (or whatever) I put it is soluble so it is an immediate source of energy, and that it only requires one reaction.. made them up tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakir)
    i think they'll be higher because most people are saying that the exam was easier than the jan one...

in jan 47 was an A...so it could be 55/60 for an A possibly..

but i guess it depends on how the rest of the country who sat this exam found it! :P
    Let's just hope TSR misrepresents the country.

(Original post by Lozzah8)
    I was convinced this exam would have plenty of respiration, but it didnt! So i spent 2 days learning them bloody cycles and reactions for nothing!
    Anyone on the first ATP question as to why it is efficient in humans (or whatever) I put it is soluble so it is an immediate source of energy, and that it only requires one reaction.. made them up tbh!
    I put that it was soluble, and smaller packets of energy so it's faster to use, faster transport of ATP(analogy of 100 dollar bill and coins perhaps?)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.