Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011 Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.23%
    NO!
    45.77%

ReputationRep:
    For the 'would 100% chocolate cats be possible?'

I put yes, but it would take several generations to produce, cinamon cats and black cats should not be allowed to breed, eventually oly brown cats would be present as the cinamon recessive allele frequency decreases.

I messed up the ratio question and forgot to mention 'ammonification' on one of the 5 markers.

I also put stabilising because the vast majority of the population had the T allele, so those who had the t allele were extreme, and these were dying out, so it was moving towards the middle of the range.

The oil gland and mite question was an absolute killer.
    The question 'Would measuring the oil gland and counting the number of mites at the same time give unreliable results'? What was that all about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruky07)
    sorry my bad, i was talking about another question.
    'salright.

I'm feeling worse about this exam the more i read. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Butler)
    The question asked for why the reliability would change by checking the feathers and oil glands at the same time

Doing it at the same time would increase reliability as there would be no time foreither varibale to change.
    I think it would decrease reliability, measuring the area in which the mites lived could disturb the habitat and remove some from the area. Doing so would make the results unreliable.

ReputationRep:
    C02 4 mark question at the end:

Deforestation, less trees to photosynthesise and photosynthesis takes in C02 so more of it in the atmosphere?
    And burning of plant stuff which is made from carbon based materials, releases C02 so levels also increase?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MessyRoom)
    It wasn't possible because breeding Chocolate with Cinnamon still had the chance of producing bi bi, as did Chocolate with Chocolate. Obviously Black with Chocolate could produce Bb.

The answer was no, there's the explanation.
    oooh crap. i thought you could, cos alleles could be homozygous. 2marks gonee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    I said impossible because you cannot distinguish homozygous chocolate from heterozygous chocolate therefore you cannot get chocolate 100% and there is a chance of getting Cinnamon colour fur.

well i got that question wrong.

I wrote yes, but it is very unlikely because of the probability of getting any other alelle when breeding with eachother/it'll take a very long time to contiunously breed through generations to ensure genotypes are only bb.

Ohwell. xD

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't possible because breeding Chocolate with Cinnamon still had the chance of producing bi bi, as did Chocolate with Chocolate. Obviously Black with Chocolate could produce Bb.

The answer was no, there's the explanation.
    The answer was yes.
    Two possibilities : both parents are homozygous b chocolate allele
    OR one parent is heterozygous for b and bi and the other parent is homozygous for b chocolate allele

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abby :))
    What was the general feel for this exam? How do you think the grade boundaries will be?

Do you think it was quite a hard paper or an easy paper? How many marks for a B or an A do you think? :]
    i think it was quite ordinary. probably normal boundaries 80% A 70% B etc.

What grade does everyone think they got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tara_Ward)
    'salright.

I'm feeling worse about this exam the more i read. :/
    i know,gosh i did not get time to check my answers crap !!!
    Unit 5 to go but , i like that unit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaaN-x)
    oooh crap. i thought you could, cos alleles could be homozygous. 2marks gonee
    Yes you could have homozygous, the problem being the question specified ONLY chocolate cats. Meaning all homozygous b or heterozygous dominant bbi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose14)
    For the 'would 100% chocolate cats be possible?'

I put yes, but it would take several generations to produce, cinamon cats and black cats should not be allowed to breed, eventually oly brown cats would be present as the cinamon recessive allele frequency decreases.

I messed up the ratio question and forgot to mention 'ammonification' on one of the 5 markers.

I also put stabilising because the vast majority of the population had the T allele, so those who had the t allele were extreme, and these were dying out, so it was moving towards the middle of the range.

The oil gland and mite question was an absolute killer.
    The question 'Would measuring the oil gland and counting the number of mites at the same time give unreliable results'? What was that all about?
    A interesting news article is that a blue eyed black kid was recently conceived by a african couple in which the phenotype didn't appear for over a couple of generations, this may show that you are relying on probabilities and not certainties. Yes you may lower the chance but it will never reach 100% certainty.

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me...cinammon was bi or b??

ReputationRep:
    The answer was yes.
    Two possibilities : both parents are homozygous b chocolate allele
    OR one parent is heterozygous for b and bi and the other parent is homozygous for b chocolate allele
    See above post, it asked for only chocolate. Some offspring could be bibi...

ReputationRep:
    I think it would decrease reliability, measuring the area in which the mites lived could disturb the habitat and remove some from the area. Doing so would make the results unreliable.
    Lool. The mites were on the feathers of the birds next to oil glands - theres really nothing about damaging habitats.
    If you check them at the same time rather than one later than the other than either the no of mites or oil glands would changemaking it an unreliable measurement

ReputationRep:
    i think the grade boundaries will be
    49-A
    45-B
    41-c
    38-d

ReputationRep:
    so what is the answer to it coz at first you can't get homozygouse b but you can after a few generations??

ReputationRep:
    Yes you could have homozygous, the problem being the question specified ONLY chocolate cats. Meaning all homozygous b or heterozygous dominant bbi.
    well thats what i said? i said you could get ALL chocolate cats if you breed homozygous chocoloate with another homozygous chocolate OR if you breed a homozygous chocolate with a heterozygous chocolate?

bb with bb - 100% chocoloate

bb with bb^i - 100% chocolate because b is dominant over b^i...dya get what im saaying..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    A interesting news article is that a blue eyed black kid was recently conceived by a african couple in which the phenotype didn't appear for over a couple of generations, this may show that you are relying on probabilities and not certainties. Yes you may lower the chance but it will never reach 100% certainty.
    Damn, that was a nagging doubt when I was writing it out.

ReputationRep:
    See above post, it asked for only chocolate. Some offspring could be bibi...
    Not at all. Chocolate allele is dominant over cinnamin. Draw out the punnet square for bbi vs. bb
    and bb vs. bb

both of them produce all chocolate offspring. It was possible in two ways.

ReputationRep:
    Lool. The mites were on the feathers of the birds next to oil glands - theres really nothing about damaging habitats.
    If you check them at the same time rather than one later than the other than either the no of mites or oil glands would changemaking it an unreliable measurement
    The feather is the mites habitat, measurement could cause disturbance/damage to the feather.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.