Turn on thread page Beta

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.23%
    NO!
    45.77%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Butler)
    Lool. The mites were on the feathers of the birds next to oil glands - theres really nothing about damaging habitats.
    If you check them at the same time rather than one later than the other than either the no of mites or oil glands would changemaking it an unreliable measurement
    I put that it doesn't really matter as long as you measure everything at the same time of day because of the morning/evening preening

ReputationRep:
    The question asked for why the reliability would change by checking the feathers and oil glands at the same time

Doing it at the same time would increase reliability as there would be no time foreither varibale to change.
    yeah i see that would have been a better thing to write but i'm not sure if i'd get a mark for what i wrote. because technically, if you measure them at the same time, a decrease in reliability could be expected, because some mites might be removed when you're measuring the oil gland sizes, so measured numbers might be less than actual numbers??

ReputationRep:
    stop talkin bout chapter 8 coz i cant remember, if it sed black then i just copied from table on left

wat bout the other Qs

and did u lot get 4%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *QueenBeee)
    I thought the exam was quite hard, couldnt quite get what some of the qu were getting at, a few qu:
    what did everyone put for the reason human synthesising lots of atp?
    where did u put ur ticks in the first qu?
    the negative correlation coefficient?
    the one about pathogens??

any help, much appreciated....i will rep!

1. For humans, I said they need it for many biological processes, such as mitosis and DNA replication, and they also require lots of ATP to maintain body temperature.

2. I ticked all of photosynthesis (PSS), all of aerobic respiration and for anaerobic respiration, I only ticked that it makes ATP. But I was confused on the PSS one, because it does make ATP but that gets used up, so does it count? Mitochondria and Chloroplast are both organelles. Can't remember what the last row was for

3. I put as one increases, the other decreases.

4. The mites eat the pathogens so the chicks are less likely to catch a disease and die, so this increases breeding success.

Does anyone agree with my points? If you disagree, tell me what you put instead please?

ReputationRep:
    the more i read the more i think the grade boundries won't be quite as high as i first thought, there are so many different answers different questions i.e the hypotheses, the cats and the selection that it might be a bit harder than what people first percieved??

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Chocolate allele is dominant over cinnamin. Draw out the punnet square for bbi vs. bb
    and bb vs. bb

both of them produce all chocolate offspring. It was possible in two ways.
    yeah but they were talking about producing an entirely chocolate population. but they wouldn't because two carriers could mate and make a cinnamon cat.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Chocolate allele is dominant over cinnamin. Draw out the punnet square for bbi vs. bb
    and bb vs. bb

both of them produce all chocolate offspring. It was possible in two ways.
    bi bi
    b bbi bbi = 50% chocolate
    bi bibi bibi = 50% cinnamon

Cinnamon cats along the top, Chocolate along the side.

Or am I mis-remembering the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FML123)
    can someone tell me...cinammon was bi or b??
    bi

for the extra nutrients in the horse?
    i put it would store it as fat etc for use in the winter when extra energy will be needed?

the first table i forgot photosynthesis produced ATP!! so annoyed. if i got the rest correct will i get 1/2?

i messed up the reliability questoin, cant remember what i put.

4% for hardy weinberg 1:1 ration and i put stablising selection because extremes were being selected against and thats what stablilsing is?

for the pathogens one i put that it increases breeding success as pathogens less likely to destry the eggs so more eggs will hatch? but that doesnt seem correct.

i thought it was ok except for the mites question. i think the grade boundaries will be higer. Maybe:

52-A
    44-B
    40-C

etc.

id love an unofficial mark scheme hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MessyRoom)
    The feather is the mites habitat, measurement could cause disturbance/damage to the feather.

(Original post by Betsss)
    yeah i see that would have been a better thing to write but i'm not sure if i'd get a mark for what i wrote. because technically, if you measure them at the same time, a decrease in reliability could be expected, because some mites might be removed when you're measuring the oil gland sizes, so measured numbers might be less than actual numbers??
    The focus of the question was how would measuring it at the same time effect reliability.

If you measured the no. of mites after an hour after measuring the glands - then the no. of mites may change and your results will not be reliable

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the first question?
    Also what % did people get for hardy weinberg question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaaN-x)
    well thats what i said? i said you could get ALL chocolate cats if you breed homozygous chocoloate with another homozygous chocolate OR if you breed a homozygous chocolate with a heterozygous chocolate?

bb with bb - 100% chocoloate

bb with bb^i - 100% chocolate because b is dominant over b^i...dya get what im saaying..
    aww crap i forgot that b is dominant to b^i so you can get 100% of chocolate with homozygous chocolate with homozygous cinnamon too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tara_Ward)
    yeah but they were talking about producing an entirely chocolate population. but they wouldn't because two carriers could mate and make a cinnamon cat.
    lol they were talking about producing a generation of chocolate phenotype only.
    There were two ways in which this could occur asexplained in my previous posts.
    EDIT: READ QUOTED POST ABOVE by JaanX.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow249)
    1. For humans, I said they need it for many biological processes, such as mitosis and DNA replication, and they also require lots of ATP to maintain body temperature.

2. I ticked all of photosynthesis (PSS), all of aerobic respiration and for anaerobic respiration, I only ticked that it makes ATP. But I was confused on the PSS one, because it does make ATP but that gets used up, so does it count? Mitochondria and Chloroplast are both organelles. Can't remember what the last row was for

3. I put as one increases, the other decreases.

4. The mites eat the pathogens so the chicks are less likely to catch a disease and die, so this increases breeding success.

Does anyone agree with my points? If you disagree, tell me what you put instead please?
    hey yeah i agree!!!
    but the ticky one i got wrong
    i ticked all of photosynthese
    for anaerobi i ticked the first one (first two should have been ticked cos it makes atp and is in organelle)
    for aerobic ( ticked all three)

so hopefully 2/3 marks for that i think??
    what did you put for the questions of higher net productivity in aug than july and them questions??
    Do u think grade boundaries will be high?

p.s thanks for answering my que lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura-Robbie)
    isn't that stabilising though because it centres around the mean i.e the extremes are eliminated. directional is when it moves to the extremes and they are being selected for?? please correct me if i'm wrong

Yes you are correct. I put stabilising but then changed to directional, because the t allele was decreasing, which as at the extreme, and the T allele was increasing, so the graph would shift towards the T allele side.

But that was a really bad question because usually when dealing with selection, we are looking at genotypes/phenotypes, not alleles.

ReputationRep:
    lol they were talking about producing a generation of chocolate phenotype only.
    There were two ways in which this could occur asexplained in my previous posts.
    EDIT: READ QUOTED POST ABOVE by JaanX.

Oh balls. Sod this i'll be a stripper.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=*QueenBeee;32146698]hey yeah i agree!!!
    but the ticky one i got wrong
    i ticked all of photosynthese
    for anaerobi i ticked the first one (first two should have been ticked cos it makes atp and is in organelle)

isn't anaerobic in the cytoplasm coz its just glycolysis??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura-Robbie)
    isn't anaerobic in the cytoplasm coz its just glycolysis??
    Oh **** - you're right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaaN-x)
    well thats what i said? i said you could get ALL chocolate cats if you breed homozygous chocoloate with another homozygous chocolate OR if you breed a homozygous chocolate with a heterozygous chocolate?

bb with bb - 100% chocoloate

bb with bb^i - 100% chocolate because b is dominant over b^i...dya get what im saaying..
    There were no homozygous chocolate cats.

ReputationRep:
    for the ticky one i ticked all three for produce atp, found in organelles was photosynthesis( chloroplasts) and aerobic respiration ( mitochondria)
    and for electron transport chain i put aerobic respiration ( stage 4) i think thats 3/3 can anyone see any mistakes??

ReputationRep:
    For the first question, did people get: the first row all ticks, the second row all ticks, and 2 tciks for row 3 (anearobic respiration doesnt involve ETC)?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.