Turn on thread page Beta

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.23%
    NO!
    45.77%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arvin_infinity)
    Put down about enzyme denatured ...
    ha lol that sounds better than what i put. i saw summert about methane so i wrote trapps infared radiation so heats up ???

ReputationRep:
    would anyone agree for the selection one it might be the strength of your explanation that gives the marks because its the one that seems to be causing the most contraversy
    Do you think what im saying makes sense?

I wrote stabilising as obviously the allele frequency is greater for the T allele and so the mean individuals have the T allele and the others have t. Since stabilising selection maintains the observable characteristics of the population i put that so obviously these are favoured and those with the t allele are not.

AQA and their iffy questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Butler)
    The answer was yes.
    Two possibilities : both parents are homozygous b chocolate allele
    OR one parent is heterozygous for b and bi and the other parent is homozygous for b chocolate allele

I said no, because the breeder will be choosing the cats depending on what they look like; he won't know their genotype. So he could pick out 2 chocolate cats and breed them together, little does he know that they are heterozygous, and so there is a 1 in 4 chance of producing a cinnamon cat.

ReputationRep:
    I said no, because the breeder will be choosing the cats depending on what they look like; he won't know their genotype. So he could pick out 2 chocolate cats and breed them together, little does he know that they are heterozygous, and so there is a 1 in 4 chance of producing a cinnamon cat.
    But they said is it 'possible' and it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatalError)

I wrote stabilising as obviously the allele frequency is greater for the T allele and so the mean individuals have the T allele and the others have t. Since stabilising selection maintains the observable characteristics of the population i put that so obviously these are favoured and those with the t allele are not.

If it is Stabilising:

Then you have a normal distribution and the extremes are selected against. what is on the x axis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow249)
    Yeah
    I wrote something about screening the cats to find their genotype then using selective breeding for 2 bb cats..

ReputationRep:
    Because it said 'the breeder' i stupidly assumed it was the same cross as the question previous, so i said no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow249)
    The question was asking for is it possible (yes it was) and in what way (so what alleles of parents would produce all chocolate offspring). I think you lost the air to what the question was asking for.

ReputationRep:
    So for the cats question were we allowed to assume that cats can be bb and bibi? I don't recall seeing that we had to use the same cats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApplePi)
    Respiration also happens during the day
    Yeah I know, but the rate of respiration to photosynthesis is lower during the day. The longer nights = more time without photosynthesis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    I put 1:3 O_o This thread is depressing...
    I also put that coz the genotypes must have been Bb Bb, so when you do the genetic cross it comes out as 1:3... that's my logic... i thought the number they gave in the question (which would suggest 1:1) were kind of a trick coz surely that is just down to random fusion of gametes...? but maybe i thought to deeply...

Edit: actually reading what other people have said i thought it was between the 2 black cats but people on here are saying it was a black and a white cat... so i think i misread the question... ooops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleo101)
    i got 44.7% or something for hardy Weinberg not sure how.
    and the first 5 marker put nitrification and ammonification then crossed it out and put about saprobiotic decomposers secreting enzymes etccc
    same i found square root of 0.2 and multiplied by 100

ReputationRep:

thats what i put, i thought it made more sense as directional selection tends to happen when the environment changes and in this case the environment didn't change, it was just the population going up and down because of poachers

ReputationRep:
    But they said is it 'possible' and it is.
    Was just thinking that myself. It is possible to get a population of chocolate if they kept breeding chocolate together. The cinamon allele could be phased out. Not 100% though.

ReputationRep:
    im quite annoyed..it was such an awesome paper and i dint finish in time............

ReputationRep:
    I got 4% for hardy weinberg

ReputationRep:
    i think i messed up genetic diagram i put Bbi and bbi as parents genotypes but they produced Bb,Bbi,bbi,bibi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JONNYCMW)
    So for the cats question were we allowed to assume that cats can be bb and bibi? I don't recall seeing that we had to use the same cats
    Part of the same question, so you're meant to refer to the data you have. Otherwise the answer would have been "Yes, breed homozygous Chocolate with homozygous Chocolate", which is a bit obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empop92)
    same i found square root of 0.2 and multiplied by 100
    It was 0.2 squared giving 4%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura-Robbie)
    for the ticks i had all three at top, 1 each for photosynthesis and aerobic respiration and then one for aerobic respiration on the bottom row, i can't remember what the 2nd row was now though
    SAME.
    pfew i was worried about that qu

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.