Turn on thread page Beta

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    53.96%
    NO!
    46.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    im sure the question didn't solely specify nitrogen. i though it said how do decomposers make the products in dead matter available to plants for growth or something.

so i talked about digestion by microorganisms...the ammonium ions they produce which is converted into nitrogen, and then the fact they respire co2 which is also used. etc etc. obviously in much more detail than that though.
    naa it was just speaking about nitrogen not co2

ReputationRep:
    Terribly vague questions on this paper...
    And for that reason - I'm hoping low grade boundaries
    Loved the last 3 questions and I liked the cat one as well
    The first one was bad... I ticked ATP produced in photosynthesis & aerobic...
    Then for Organelles I ticked photosynthesis & aerobic (because glycolysis takes place in the cytoplasm
    And for electron transport chain I only put aerobic... Does the chain in photosynthesis count? It wasn't in the nelson thornes book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Butler)
    Could you link me to that paper please.
    I could.. if it was a paper.. it was q4 on the second bunch of application questions in chapter 8.6 in the book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruksha)
    for the question about why actual number was different from expected number would chance be a valid answer?
    I think i put the sample size was fairly small, so a lot is due to chancem therefore won't represent predicted values

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahTM)
    And for electron transport chain I only put aerobic... Does the chain in photosynthesis count? It wasn't in the nelson thornes book
    There's an ETC in the LDR, the electrons from chlorophyll enter an ETC, which is how the ATP from photosynthesis is produced

ReputationRep:
    There was the ATP question, the one about the ananerobic decomposer, the birth rate life expectancy, the temp about photosyntheiss, The cat coats genetics, the hardy weinberg, question 7 about the great tits, question 8 about nitrogen, deforstation/burning vegetation and photosynthesis.

Have I got them all? can anybody remmeber the marks they were all for?

ReputationRep:
    has any1 got a copy of the paper or unofficial mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    OMG mAYBE THE ANSWER IS NATURAL SELECTION.

COZ its survival of the fittest and both directional and stabilising are both wrong.
    wow.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    major :facepalm: ... that makes sense..

ReputationRep:
    i asked my teacher and she suggested it was indeed directional

ReputationRep:
    im going to end up in my insurance i can feel like *ARGHHH

ReputationRep:
    What did people say for the horse one? What it would do with the extra nutrients? I put the horse stores it??
    Also what did people put for the anaerobic digester the advantages of it? And why there needed to be a cooling system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    Yey :woohoo:

ReputationRep:
    You werent provided with enough data in order to reject or accept the null hypothesis so I dont know why youd write that.
    I didnt say accept/reject the null hypothesis, i said said reject the hypothesis..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzzzg)
    what did anyone write for the null hypothesis? I don't even know what it is.
    surely you did this in your isa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo!xx)
    I didnt say accept/reject the null hypothesis, i said said reject the hypothesis..
    you couldnt reject it as you hadnt performed a statisical test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    What was your teacher's reasoning?

ReputationRep:
    I hope the grade boundaries arent too high cos i NEED an A and preferably a good one.
    It seemed ok but some of the answers are so vague and so hoepfully the grade boundaries will be low.
    Also the grade boundaries in june are always lower than january which has been the case every year, but this year i am not sure.

june 2010 - 35/75 for an A !!
    January 2011 - 47/75 for an A

so my prediction is June 2011 48-50/75 for an A

thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liron Ingleby)
    I hope the grade boundaries arent too high cos i NEED an A and preferably a good one.
    It seemed ok but some of the answers are so vague and so hoepfully the grade boundaries will be low.
    Also the grade boundaries in june are always lower than january which has been the case every year, but this year i am not sure.

june 2010 - 35/75 for an A !!
    January 2011 - 47/75 for an A

so my prediction is June 2011 48-50/75 for an A

thoughts?
    Yeah I agree, think it would be around that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rickesh)
    Yeah I agree, think it would be around that...
    Im guessing it will be 58 out of 72 for an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MessyRoom)

Why does the anaerobic tank stop working if not cooled?
    because it would get too hot and this would denature enzymes involved in nitrification etc so cooled keeps its at optimum temperature

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2017

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.