Turn on thread page Beta

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.23%
    NO!
    45.77%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    haha no worries man its just a mark. I dunno what i've got but looking at the questions im guessing roughly just above 50 I HOPE. I really need an A in this paper so im begging its ok.

for the human pop questions i put:

1.Describe the data
    - Life expectancy in UK is greater than in Sudan for both males and females (stated the values) ... In both UK and Sudan, life expectancy for females is greater than males (stated the values) ....

2. Explain
    - Sudan is an LEDC - poor sanitation, healthcare, diet. In general, a lot more men are sent to war than women, where they are more likely to die than if not going to war.

LOL i couldn't think of any other reason except war??! so stupid but i dunno it might get the mark?? what did you put?
    I wrote that about sanitation, but for the reason why females have a higher life expenctancy, I also added that males are at a higher risk of developing coronary heart disease, which I read somewhere, but its not on the spec. I just added it to impress the examiners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ECHF)
    Phewwwwww
    Ahh well it was only a few marks, but DAMN I can't believe I missed it out!!!! STupid girl!!!
    Don't worry about it! Unlucky really. Read the question next time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    What is a pelican fly!
    listen to this song.. nicki minaj- superbass

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    For genetic cross I deduced:

* Some cinnamon offspring (let's call them babies, and be exciting) with genotype bibi thus each parent possessed bi allele
    * One parent black thus has Bbi and other chocolate thus genotype is bbi
    * Thus cross gives:

Bbi x bbi:

B bi
    ------------------
    b | Bb bbi
    bi | Bbi bibi

which is two black, one chocolate and one cinnamon.

Must have missed out ratio thing, though, or am suffering amnesia, as I sped through that section with minutes left...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MessyRoom)
    I said same as you for describe without quoting the data, I didn't see the point.

For explanation I said healthcare in UK was more widely available, Sudan was a poorer country and food was less likely to be available. I then said male's are more likely to die due to y chromosome being shorter than the x chromosome and so some less desirable traits on the x chromosome of males will be expressed even if recessive due to no competition.

Joking, I just said about healthcare and food
    lol ... couldnt think of a thing for males. one thing i thought of after the exam was that males are more likely to get recessive diseases such as haemophilia as they only have one X chromosome and it will appear on the phenotype if on just the one X chromosome so there is a greater chance. long winded i know. haha

ReputationRep:
    dunno they might want the out of 1000 thing. I said, the number of births in a population in 1000 ...... dunno why i said 'in' 1000, bad use of the english language lol. hopefully got the mark. im sure other answers may be acceptable though!

btw can you remember if there were any other questions after the 1:1 ratio one and if so what was it? not the genetic cross one. and was the genetic cross one worth 3 marks? also for the one did you get two different genotypes for the black fur section... and then 1 each for the other two (choc and cinnamon) ...
    For the 1:1 ratio question I worked it out but wrote it down as 50%, it represents the same thing... hopefully the examiner will agree that 50% is a ratio

On the genetic cross yes it was 3 marks, and I'm pretty sure I got 2 for black and 1 for the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehsponge)
    I like the way you say pacinian corpuscle :sexface:
    lol, why thankyou! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Butler)
    i put the exact same things you have except I didnt put war in. For some reason though - war was the first thing that came to my mind. So I Just put that uk had better nutrition, sanitation and healthcare.
    nice . one thing i realised i did though is that i stupidly didnt put that sudan had worse healthcare, sanitation and diet than britain i just stated it had poor healthcare, sanitation and diet. hopefully this is a good enough reason though. and upon further thinking, surely war is a viable option with the iraq war actually happening for people in UK atm???

ReputationRep:
    nice . one thing i realised i did though is that i stupidly didnt put that sudan had worse healthcare, sanitation and diet than britain i just stated it had poor healthcare, sanitation and diet. hopefully this is a good enough reason though. and upon further thinking, surely war is a viable option with the iraq war actually happening for people in UK atm???
    Ohh i mentioned political unrest and conflict, would mean that people were at risk of dying earlier. I just added it as a last minute sorta thing, but it makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Sudan is still in the midst of an ongoing civil war, so that's one of the main explanations there. It's not a question you can go wrong, it merely said "suggest some reasons"

two or three are fine, 2 mark question.

ReputationRep:
    For the 1:1 ratio question I worked it out but wrote it down as 50%, it represents the same thing... hopefully the examiner will agree that 50% is a ratio

On the genetic cross yes it was 3 marks, and I'm pretty sure I got 2 for black and 1 for the others.
    SAHWEET.

last thing thats bugging me is how did people describe the data in the first mites table....

I said something like:

- For small increase in mites the amount of successful breeds fluctuated at around 80. For a large increase in mites (170), the success of breeding decreased to 40 (40 something cant remember now) from 86 at 15 mites. I then said that without further data we cannot dedcude that there is a correlation between increased mites and decreased successful breeds????

ReputationRep:
    Sudan is still in the midst of an ongoing civil war, so that's one of the main explanations there. It's not a question you can go wrong, it merely said "suggest some reasons"

two or three are fine, 2 mark question.
    kl so it should be ok then i hope...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachtoast)
    I've not read through all the new posts yet, but on the very first question with the table - did the "produces ATP" point apply to both aerobic and anaerobic respiration? I've learned anaerobic respiration from pyruvate, ignoring glycolysis, so I wasn't sure whether to tick the box for anaerobic & didn't. I know it's only one mark, but there didn't seem to be a consensus within our resit group.

There wouldnt be a point in anarobic respiration if it didnt produce ATP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowcolours)
    it did say what type of natural selection is this? aha but i couldnt think so put selective pressure then "survival of the fittest" and in the explanation put something like the ones with the functional enzymes will survive and pass on their genes whereas the ones with dysfunctional enzymes wont.. its only 2 marks! be fine.
    it said what type of natural selction :/ ? i fort it said just selection yeah if i saw that i wud of gone for directional and i explained it doe hopefully i wud of gotten one mark for that

ReputationRep:
    for hardy weignberg i wrote this q2=0.2 so q is 0.4475

then 0.4475X 100 gives you 44.75 so 45% i am having douts on this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbu)
    There wouldnt be a point in anarobic respiration if it didnt produce ATP!
    haha very true.

I ticked all 3 for production of ATP.
    the other two i only ticked photosynthesis and respiration. anaerobic respiration doesnt take place in organelles does it?! and i cant remember the other point but i remember just ticking respiration and photosynthesis.

ReputationRep:
    Who else said stabilising selectionnnn?!

ReputationRep:
    i think its time to make a unnofficial mark scheme, but its probably gonna be impossible as you can interperet the questions in different ways

ReputationRep:
    SAHWEET.

last thing thats bugging me is how did people describe the data in the first mites table....

I said something like:

- For small increase in mites the amount of successful breeds fluctuated at around 80. For a large increase in mites (170), the success of breeding decreased to 40 (40 something cant remember now) from 86 at 15 mites. I then said that without further data we cannot dedcude that there is a correlation between increased mites and decreased successful breeds????
    I remember saying that the table didn't separate or specify which parent the mites was/were on and so it is not reliable data. One parent (the one that sits on the nest) could have all of the mites whereas the parent responsible for hunting could have none and so it is not representative.

ReputationRep:
    I remember saying that the table didn't separate or specify which parent the mites was/were on and so it is not reliable data. One parent (the one that sits on the nest) could have all of the mites whereas the parent responsible for hunting could have none and so it is not representative.
    thats a good point. didn't think of that. to be honest i was so rushed in this question, had about 7 mins to do it all. for the why is random data collection necessary what did you put?

I just said the standard 'it removes bias from the experiment' ... i then babbled but said that it would allow us to formulate a valid correlation between mite numbers and successful breeds.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.