Turn on thread page Beta

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    54.23%
    NO!
    45.77%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khimmy)
    hey can i just ask what did people get for the genotypes in the black, chocolate and cinnamon fur..??
    i got :
    black = Bb
    Chocolate = Bb(small i)
    Cinnammon- b(small i) b (small i)
    i got
    black fur
    chocolate fur
    black fur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by altudios)
    I agree with you! I've just learnt to be pessimistic when it comes to exam marks, so as to be pleasantly surprised... but I hope you're right. Hell, what do I know! I wrote one of my answers in the wrong damn box, how smart can I be??
    which question was that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleo101)
    i got
    black fur
    chocolate fur
    black fur
    Same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    well the points I put were:

- decomposers digest dead leaves via extra-cellular digestion
    - in doing so they convert the dead organic matter into ammonium ions in the soil
    - ammonium ions are converted into nitrates via nitrites by nitrifying bacteria
    - nitrates used for protein synthesis or synthesis of nucleic acids in the plants

points for CO2:

- decomposers aerobically respire, producing CO2
    - CO2 can be taken in by plants stomata for photosynthesis to form hexose sugard (eg.glucose) ...

thats only 4 points relating to nitrogen though so i feel I probably dropped a mark there... but i cant really think of anything else except that the conversion of ammonium ions to nitrates is an oxidation reaction. will i only get 4 you reckon? or is there enough there for 5?
    It's possible that the conversion of ammonium ions into nitrate ions and the fact it's done by nitrifying bacteria are two separate points so you may have gotten the five marks anyway

ReputationRep:
    What did people write for that dodgy question about if its possible to breed only 'chocolate fur cats'??
    I think it was 2/3 marks!

ReputationRep:
    i got
    black fur
    chocolate fur
    black fur
    yea i got that aswell for the boxes right? but am asking about the genotypes.. the one opposite the paper where you have to work out the genotypes when you breed a black cat and something cat..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woods.vanessa)
    What did people write for that dodgy question about if its possible to breed only 'chocolate fur cats'??
    i got no because if a cat was chocolate you wouldnt know if it was a carrier of the bi allele as it would be masked by the dominant
    dunno if its right though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choc1234)
    i got no because if a cat was chocolate you wouldnt know if it was a carrier of the bi allele as it would be masked by the dominant
    dunno if its right though
    I did yes assuming that you knew that one of the chocolate cats had the bb genotype! Not sure

ReputationRep:
    for the horse one i put its adapted to living a 9 degrees and so uses less energy in trying to maintain a constant body temp
    haha sounds soo wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme somewhere lol?!

ReputationRep:
    i got
    black fur
    chocolate fur
    black fur
    Me too
    *high fives* :')

ReputationRep:
    I did yes assuming that you knew that one of the chocolate cats had the bb genotype! Not sure
    they didt tell us if they knew or not
    idiots lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choc1234)
    they didt tell us if they knew or not
    idiots lol
    I know right?! Im hoping the mark scheme gives marks for yes/no as long as you explain your point

ReputationRep:
    I said yes if you breed with parents of genotypes 'bb' and 'bb' or parents of genotypes 'bb' and 'bbi' .... if this is the case then there is 100% chance of offspring being chocolate fur. and because 'b' is dominant to 'bi' .... so for any heterozygous 'bbi' formed it is still chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    in the questiion were it said why it is good to collect the waste in a tank insted of dumping it in pond
    i said dosent cause eutrophication
    and methane can be used for fuel ..
    is that correcct?

ReputationRep:
    i got
    black fur
    chocolate fur
    black fur
    yea same as me

ReputationRep:
    I said yes if you breed with parents of genotypes 'bb' and 'bb' or parents of genotypes 'bb' and 'bbi' .... if this is the case then there is 100% chance of offspring being chocolate fur. and because 'b' is dominant to 'bi' .... so for any heterozygous 'bbi' formed it is still chocolate.
    Snap I said the exactly the same !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khimmy)
    yea i got that aswell for the boxes right? but am asking about the genotypes.. the one opposite the paper where you have to work out the genotypes when you breed a black cat and something cat..
    i got two black genotypes in the offspring and one chocolate and one cinnamon.

ReputationRep:
    im so confused
    what if you breed bbi and bbi - both will be chocolate but theres still a chance of producing cinnomen :s
    ahh! soo many silly mistakes
    i need an AAAAA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben10)
    in the questiion were it said why it is good to collect the waste in a tank insted of dumping it in pond
    i said dosent cause eutrophication
    and methane can be used for fuel ..
    is that correcct?
    I said that when the anaerobic bacteria feed on the dead matter they produce toxic waste which would kill aquatic organisms in a pond.

other point i cant remember. think your first point is right. not sure about the second? probably ok.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.