Turn on thread page Beta

Anxiety.. and I can't deal with it anymore :( watch

Anon or delete please. Don't use these boards much but I have friends on here.

Long story short, I'm at university and for the past month I've been suffering from anxiety every single day. Had a lot of stuff on when it started, like exams, dance shows and driving test. As soon as the bulk of that was over I went to the GP and they told me to relax for the weekend.. and I did exactly that. Never slept so much in my life! But a week on and the symptoms were exactly the same. So I went back to the GP and was told to have a blood test.. and my blood test was completely normal. Yet to go back to the GP but I really can't deal with this anymore. I know this is meant to be common with university students coz we're under so much stress.. so has anyone been through this or has any advice on how to deal with it? As soon as I get remotely stressed I start experiencing symptoms.. and I don't have time to keep taking days of uni coz there's too much to do. And the harsh reality is I can't avoid stress.. I just have to deal with it. Could it be something worse than anxiety..? Because it hasn't gotten better even though I've spent enough time relaxing?

Well done if you read all of that. Any advice would be appreciated.. thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya - anxiety disorder since the age of 3

Best thing for anxiety is relaxation like you're saying - so well done, good that you can relax too :P
    What kind of symptoms? It's normal to feel a certain amount of symptoms when you're anxious/stressed and there's not a whole lot you can do to get rid of them, except relax I suppose. Beta blockers and anti-depressents can help too, but they're usually a last resort.
    Have you tried working the stress off through exercise - that usually helps?
    There are certain symptoms that can be atrributed to a physical illness so it might be worth telling your GP exactly what symptoms you're suffering, if you haven't already, or make it clear that they haven't gone.
    There's the option of uni counselling too if you think that might help?
    Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Sleeping for a weekend will not in fact relax you - it will simply give you jetlag symptoms that you body then has to cope with on top of everything else. The best way is to get early nights in, and then find a hobby to do at the weekend, something where you are being proactive and it gives you a bit of stress, but you enjoy it. I think it's a common mistake that people, particularly students make, that relaxing should mean doing nothing. In fact it means finding something alternative to do. Are there any things you could do that you'd enjoy? For example (and I know it's for old people) but I loved gardening which was practical but not stressful, or going round an art gallery or sitting outside reading. With regard to coping with things during the week, one of the best ways is to keep a diary so you know what to do, and cutting out any extra things you simply wouldn't have the time for. Sleeping too much can be a sign of being overtired, as well as being depressed.

Prof Lottie

(Original post by daisydaffodil)
    Hiya - anxiety disorder since the age of 3

Best thing for anxiety is relaxation like you're saying - so well done, good that you can relax too :P
    What kind of symptoms? It's normal to feel a certain amount of symptoms when you're anxious/stressed and there's not a whole lot you can do to get rid of them, except relax I suppose. Beta blockers and anti-depressents can help too, but they're usually a last resort.
    Have you tried working the stress off through exercise - that usually helps?
    There are certain symptoms that can be atrributed to a physical illness so it might be worth telling your GP exactly what symptoms you're suffering, if you haven't already, or make it clear that they haven't gone.
    There's the option of uni counselling too if you think that might help?
    Good luck x
    Thanks so much for the reply. I get really bad dizziness, headache burning tingling head, butterflies and the symptoms get worse in like bright light and loud noise which is weird can I ask what kind of symptoms you get? And do you know what I mean about the bright lights? When I told my doctor that she looked really confused which scared me.. and I get like floaties aswell. Like lights linger after I look at them . I used to do a lot of exercise but stopped as soon as this started! I've slowly started up again so hopefully that will help. And my uni have been useless. I've emailed three different people weeks ago and haven't got a single reply. Also I've been back to my GP since, and she put me on citalopram and diazepam.. I really don't wanna take them until I have no other option did you take any drugs for your anxiety? Thanks again

(Original post by Prof Lottie)
    Hello

Sleeping for a weekend will not in fact relax you - it will simply give you jetlag symptoms that you body then has to cope with on top of everything else. The best way is to get early nights in, and then find a hobby to do at the weekend, something where you are being proactive and it gives you a bit of stress, but you enjoy it. I think it's a common mistake that people, particularly students make, that relaxing should mean doing nothing. In fact it means finding something alternative to do. Are there any things you could do that you'd enjoy? For example (and I know it's for old people) but I loved gardening which was practical but not stressful, or going round an art gallery or sitting outside reading. With regard to coping with things during the week, one of the best ways is to keep a diary so you know what to do, and cutting out any extra things you simply wouldn't have the time for. Sleeping too much can be a sign of being overtired, as well as being depressed.

Prof Lottie
    Thanks so much for the reply. I'll give that a go it's just so hard with all thats going on and finals coming up too . My best friend suggested I keep a stress diary the other day so I'm gonna give that a go. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks so much for the reply. I get really bad dizziness, headache burning tingling head, butterflies and the symptoms get worse in like bright light and loud noise which is weird can I ask what kind of symptoms you get? And do you know what I mean about the bright lights? When I told my doctor that she looked really confused which scared me.. and I get like floaties aswell. Like lights linger after I look at them . I used to do a lot of exercise but stopped as soon as this started! I've slowly started up again so hopefully that will help. And my uni have been useless. I've emailed three different people weeks ago and haven't got a single reply.
    I get these too I get shaking hands and I see little white-ish orange sparks in the corner of my eyes when I'm about to get a migraine too. My GP told me it was stress and that there was nothing she could do apart to put me on drugs and I couldn't have the drugs because of my acne meds (the ones that make teenagers fell suicidal...) so she recommended that started taking it easy and not doing much.

I see she's wrong lol.

(Original post by True Ace)
    I get these too I get shaking hands and I see little white-ish orange sparks in the corner of my eyes when I'm about to get a migraine too. My GP told me it was stress and that there was nothing she could do apart to put me on drugs and I couldn't have the drugs because of my acne meds (the ones that make teenagers fell suicidal...) so she recommended that started taking it easy and not doing much.

I see she's wrong lol.
    So relaxing doesn't work?
    Is it migraines you suffer from or anxiety too? Have you tried other treatments?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the reply. I get really bad dizziness, headache burning tingling head, butterflies and the symptoms get worse in like bright light and loud noise which is weird can I ask what kind of symptoms you get? And do you know what I mean about the bright lights? When I told my doctor that she looked really confused which scared me.. and I get like floaties aswell. Like lights linger after I look at them . I used to do a lot of exercise but stopped as soon as this started! I've slowly started up again so hopefully that will help. And my uni have been useless. I've emailed three different people weeks ago and haven't got a single reply. Also I've been back to my GP since, and she put me on citalopram and diazepam.. I really don't wanna take them until I have no other option did you take any drugs for your anxiety? Thanks again
    Yeah - the bright lights and loud noises thing's familiar! happens to me too! It's like a hypersensitivity thing, sort of when we are anxious or worried we become hypersensisitive to things going on around us and we perceive them as being much louder/brighter than they really are. This can make us feel a lot worse, it can add to the stress as you feel stressy enough and then all this extra stuff (lights and noise) can sort of push you over the edge.

That's my take on it anyway.

Um sypmtoms... well physically, I get palpitations (my heart pounds really fast, or feels really slow, or skips a beat). I get dizzy, and the floor sways a bit. My eyes blur, and my hearing goes cloudy, or things get really loud. I feel very hot, sweaty, but shivery too.. My legs shake and I end up nipping at my tummy, or biting my nails, or clenching my hands and feet... I become aware of my breathing, start to think I can't breathe and then breathe too fast, or gulp air. I get tingly and sometimes feel disconnected and dreamy - that comes and goes within seconds usually but it's a horrible feeling. I get tummy symptoms too - I'm either on the loo all the time, or I can't go at all (both ends), I burp and get bad heartburn/indigestion.

I'm actually taking cipralex (escitalopram) and it is helping - honestly, if you feel the need, take the citalopram - lots of people are on it, any side effects aren't life-ruining/not usually permanent and they'll take the edge off. Diazepam's more sedating and addictive too so I'd seriously only use that if you really need it.

Keep nagging your uni. Is there no student support building or office, where you can go bang on the door and ask for help? Or a phone number? Do you have a Nightline service that might be able to assist? The NHS can refer you to counselling too...

Yes - keep up with the exercise. It does help. It scared me at first as for a long time I was frightened I had a heart problem, deep down I'm still worrying about that, but it does make you feel better, trust me.

Good luck and don't be afraid to PM anytime x

ReputationRep:
    One thing I would recommend from experience is having a routine. It gives you stability regularity and less stress. So get up at a certain time. Have breakfast. Have a shower. Go to uni. Have lunch. Do work. Have dinner. Bed. Even if it's a really simple routine to begin with, it will give you less to think about, and just.. Really helps

ReputationRep:
    Also I've been back to my GP since, and she put me on citalopram and diazepam.. I really don't wanna take them until I have no other option did you take any drugs for your anxiety? Thanks again
    Diazepam is so good for anxiety.

If I was you, I'd go back to the GP and ask for some kind of talk therapy. I think it'll probably work better than drugs. Sure, the drugs feel pretty damn good and cover the anxiety but they don't actually get to the reasons behind it so you'll still feel it when you stop taking them.

ReputationRep:
    Life sucks get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Be brave. Life's nothing more than one problem after another, but keep dealing with them as they come with your head held high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E-glory)
    Life sucks get over it.
    Stupid and totally irrelevant comment, well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Diazepam is so good for anxiety.

If I was you, I'd go back to the GP and ask for some kind of talk therapy. I think it'll probably work better than drugs. Sure, the drugs feel pretty damn good and cover the anxiety but they don't actually get to the reasons behind it so you'll still feel it when you stop taking them.
    I would suggest the same! I had CBT and it worked miracles for my anxiety!!

ReputationRep:
    So relaxing doesn't work?
    Is it migraines you suffer from or anxiety too? Have you tried other treatments?
    Oh no, relaxing works but she told me to literally do nothing. Just sit there and twiddle my thumbs or nap. And as the good prof up there ^ said, sleeping is bad.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to try CBT but the waiting list's long, you could try moodgym, which is a free online CBT program for people with depression/anxiety. You'll only get as much out of it as you put in though, so it might take a while before you start seeing results.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.