Turn on thread page Beta

Who here has donated Blood? watch

• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I've given blood and I'm terrified of needles (I instinctively hit a HEAVILY pregnant nurse because she was going to give me a jab...)

It's really not that bad! When I went in and filled out the forms and everything, I told them that I'm not great with needles, so they told the doctor who was doing my injection, and they got a nurse to come and hold my hand and chat away with me to distract me! They were REALLY good about it and once the needle is in, you cannot feel it! Plus as they do it loads, they have no issues finding veins or anything.

It's a really worthwhile thing to do, and you feel great afterwards (plus free biscuits...which as a student is extra welcome) and whenever I go, I try and line up a treat or something to convince myself to do it (last time I got my cartilage pierced), next time I'm allowing myself to buy something from Urban Outfitters etc.!

Just keep breathing, and it'll be fine, honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ich Dien)
    When I did the donor test I did think that were plenty of hoops to jump through, even before having a sample taken
    Yeah, I didn't even get to sample stage. My friend kept saying to me "I bet there isn't enough Iron in my blood, there won't be enough." and was right, I was like "Well if you knew, why come?" but she said she wants to do it in the future and has promised she starts eating proper meals to boost her iron levels lol. But at least my teacher did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Probably won't. No desire to.
    :facepalm2:

You would take it, yes?

In answer to OP, yes, the van came round to school once..

ReputationRep:
    I give blood. I'm AH Posititive so pretty standard but I kinda enjoy the whole process. It's usually over pretty quickly and really doesn't hurt that much if at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Just keep breathing, and it'll be fine, honest
    And don't look at it, that really **** me up

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but this is such a coincidence :p:

I went today to go and donate some blood, only to find out I can't due to low levels of Hb in my blood, I'm really upset about it but now I'm motivated to improve my diet so i can donate in the future

ReputationRep:
    I bruised too! but only because they couldnt find my vein the first few times

ReputationRep:
    Yes indeed. I feel so hero-like when I do... Universal Donor

ReputationRep:
    I've given blood a few times, or at least tried to, but they have trouble finding my veins and I bleed really slowly so I decided to give it a miss for a while.
    It's honestly not that bad, though. Doesn't hurt at all and you just have to lay there for a bit, then get up and have some biscuits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedger)
    Yes indeed. I feel so hero-like when I do... Universal Donor

Ohh arent you awesom?

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    last time I got my cartilage pierced
    Wha? having a stud fired through your ear is a reward for having a pint of a blood sucked out through a tube? whats wrong with cake?

ReputationRep:
    Donated blood about 10 times....donated platelets about 9/10 times also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ich Dien)

Ohh arent you awesom?
    Even the chap receiving my blood knows that. Just too awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I have, a couple of months ago, so should be able to again in another couple. Same as organ donation, I don't see why people wouldn't. Well, I do, but that doesn't mean I accept their reasoning.
    And bonus points for all the other O+ blood donors, I think we're the most common?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vandub)
    O+ blood donors
    A+ is, ~%40.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I really want to but can't because I'm diabetic and I'm not allowed to because of my medication. It really annoys me

ReputationRep:
    I've given blood a fair few times with no problems apart from the first time I went I had a nurse who had never done it before with me as her guinea pig and left me with this huge bruise on my arm. It didn't hurt at all though. All the other times were fine, it's no big deal. But if that doesn't sway you there's free squash, biscuits and crisps! What student says no to free food?!

ReputationRep:
    Would if I could. Due to being the recipient of a transfusion when younger I'm barred for life.

Kind of irritating that those who might most want to give something back (i.e. those who've had transfusions) are banned - makes me feel quite ungrateful sometimes. Understand the safety concerns totally though, at the end of the day they've got to come first.

ReputationRep:
    Not allowed to for various reasons, mostly having received it in the past. Though I would if I could!

But yeah, I only survived a pretty major car accident because of people like you who did donate, so you guys are high in awesomeness.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it Nothing to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    I've given when they came to my school. Wasn't bad at all, didn't even feel the needle and the sorest thing was the finger prick.

My blood probably isn't any use to many people since I'm B+ but ah well it will help someone hopefully.

Im planning on donating again but I think I might switch to donating platelets.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.