Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I rrreeeaaalllyyy want to Give Blood (even though I will faint ) - but I'm either too ill or don't weigh enough
    I even made myself get to 8 stone so I could Give Blood (which also had something to do with having sooo many exams and not so many chances to Ride ), then got suspected Glandular Fever, and ended up with really bad Bacterial Tonsilitis so had to have Antibiotics, which meant I had to wait 6 months, in which time I got fit again (as A Level exams finished ) and am now underweight
    Well Done for everyone who Gives Blood, it's a fantastic thing to do!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ich Dien)
    Im 16 and 10 months, but I would want to on my birthday or as soon after I am completely terrified of needles And the Cheesy 3D Virtual tour didnt do much to relieve me.
    Oh my god - I'm 16 and 10 months too - I'm planning a blood giving party for me and 3 friends in the June (my birthday's 29th May)

I wouldn't worry about the needles - I'm pretty good with needles, but if it was agony people wouldn't go back again ad again, and it's a really worthy cause - worth 15 mins hooked up to a blood sucking machine!!!

ReputationRep:
    i have and i've got my little badge
    its a breeze, literally no pain for me whatsoever.
    the worst part is the finger prick to test iron levels and even that feels like nothing.
    i say if you're thinking about it, do it. its a great feeling
    i'm going again on the 7th April!

ReputationRep:
    I did it here in the US. I don't weigh enough, but I was naughty and lied about my weight. I wasn't able to exercise for a week without getting tired ridiculously easily, but it was still a neat experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, three times so far, will be able too again next month.

The needles is honestly the easiest part of it, the worst is when you feel faint afterwards.
    On my third time gving blood I had lie down on one of the beds as I looked awful to the people working there, I thankfully didn't faint, but I think I was pretty close to doing so. I blame that on just recovering from illness and not sleeping the night before though.

ReputationRep:
    A+ is, ~%40.
    Every single source I'm looking at is saying it's O+.

http://www.blood.co.uk/about-blood/blood-group-basics/

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood.htm

http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/mos...lood-type.html

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-a...od/blood-types.

Schooled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vandub)
    Schooled.
    Not yet, you need to teach me to read.

(Original post by lacelicker)
    (my birthday's 29th May)
    June 19th... Nearly, but not quite

(Original post by catsss)
    I wasn't able to exercise for a week without getting tired ridiculously easily.
    Is that whats keeping your weight down? Jokes.
    Thats a hard one for me to mul, because you might save someones life by lying, but at the same time the rules are there so transfusions dont kill the recipient.

ReputationRep:
    I just gave blood for the first time today It made me feel really faint, also I could feel the needle in my arm the entire time (not painful, but kind of gross). I feel really glad I did it though, I've been building up my courage for the last three years and finally went through with it If you're nervous I recommend going along with a friend and just watching them, not having it done yourself, just to see what it's like first.

ReputationRep:
    Not yet, you need to teach me to read.

June 19th... Nearly, but not quite

Is that whats keeping your weight down? Jokes.
    Thats a hard one for me to mul, because you might save someones life by lying, but at the same time the rules are there so transfusions dont kill the recipient.
    Haha, I was only 5 lbs under the 110 weight limit. I honestly felt great (though a bit tired) afterwards. I think if it was someone who was legitimately underweight, as opposed to naturally petite it would be a different story. But I'm 5'3, so my weight isn't anything extreme.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd love to, but gay and underweight! Any guy who has EVER had even oral sex with a guy is banned for life...

ReputationRep:
    I tried to but they said my iron count was too low.

ReputationRep:
    I gave blood 3 times during my mandatory military service. We got a day off for each time.

ReputationRep:
    I just about collapsed with my last three needles so I don't know - I'm pretty sure I'd keel over on walking in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinchenko)
    Well I'd love to, but gay and underweight!
    I thought that was a bit extreme, because we all know that all homosexual sex of any kind (even between virgins) reaps death and distruction upon African orphans. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    I've donated twice - the first time I felt really faint for 10 minutes or so afterwards, but they just let me stay laid down until I felt ready to get up. The second time I had a trainee nurse, and she managed to catch the inside of my vein apparently (makes me squirm just thinking about it) so I was there for twice as long as I should have been, it left a bruise, and it got me so anxious that I cried the whole way through!

That's making it out to be really awful but it's not that bad! I'm going back in a couple of weeks, and I'm just going to say that I'm nervous of needles, and can I please not have a trainee this time? It sounds selfish but there are plenty of people there who've been so many times that surely they don't mind having a trainee...

(Original post by ArtemisRose)
    My blood probably isn't any use to many people since I'm B+ but ah well it will help someone hopefully.
    B+ too It's silly but I use that to get me through the donation...just "be positive, be positive"!

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was a bit extreme, because we all know that all homosexual sex of any kind (even between virgins) reaps death and distruction upon African orphans. :dry:
    Well exactly! I mean if I were O- (I don't know which I am) the advantage of getting my blood would surely outweigh the absolutely absolutely infinitesimally tiny risk of me transmitting undetected HIV...given that O- is in such demand and the particular danger of what you've ever done isn't taken into account - basically, any male-male sexual contact = lifetime ban.

ReputationRep:
    i went but then they wouldn't let me cause i had another week or so until it was a year after i had a peircing done! but im going back when they in the area next x

ReputationRep:
    yeah i did it for the first time just today, i thought you had to be 18 but only found out recently 17 yr olds can do it, they are really helpful and if you feel ill then they stop it earlier, it lasts about 10-15 minutes but you only feel it when the needle goes in an out, you've experienced much worse pain but haven't realised it until you do it, i'd strongly recommend everyone go and give blood it's only 60 minutes of your time 4 times a year

ReputationRep:
    also don't be put off if you are a vegetarian like me, they do a quick iron test and it's usually fine depending on healthy diets, you feel a faint but you drink a lot of water (before and after) have a little rest and some form of snack which they provide, when you see the people giving platelet donations for hours then suddenly you feel a bit foolish for being nervous (which i was)

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done it yet, because I'm not old enough and I'm 2 lbs. under the required weight.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.