Turn on thread page Beta

Who here has donated Blood? watch

ReputationRep:
    To those who have done it:
    What do they ask you?

Because i'm wary of the "you cannot donate blood if you're gay or slept with a gay man" malark, yet from the posts i've yet to see how they actually find this out...

ReputationRep:
    you have to fill in a questionnaire and sort of have a mini interview thing where they confirm your answers such as going abroad etc then a quick iron level test, and they will screen the blood for any traces of anything after donation, i'm not really sure how they find out but it means there's an increased risk of stuff because not everyone uses a condom etc so it saves them time/money? and not all infections can be detected there's a small percentage it won't, im not really sure in depth tbh

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/exclusion/ that's a more thorough explanation of same sex relations and why you can't give blood due to it
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ich Dien)
    Wha? having a stud fired through your ear is a reward for having a pint of a blood sucked out through a tube? whats wrong with cake?
    Stud wasn't fired through my ear, needle was shoved through ear then stud put in after nothing wrong with cake but I eat cake anyway! Rewards have to be special!

ReputationRep:
    I would love to donate blood!! It seems like such a rewarding thing to do! Apparently I can't because I'm underweight. The moment my BMI reaches the good ol' 18.5 though, I'm rugby tackling that needle.

ReputationRep:
    Ive given blood twice now, and my third one is due in a few months.
    Both times ive been i havent looked at the needle when they put it in. Firstly I am going to tell you that it doesnt hurt.. BUT it WILL hurt if you look at it and if you are nervous and think about it. If you are chilling and casual about it you will be fine.
    Once the needle isin it takes about 10 mins to get 1pint of blood. (or howeever much it is).
    And it doesnt hurt.

So when you do go, make sure you have drunk A LOT of water(liquids) otherwise you will naucious once the donation is over.
    I live in Leicester and the donation center here is brill, and they take the time to make sure you are alright before letting you go.

So anyway all in all, its a 'fun' experience.
    So have fun

ReputationRep:
    I have done it and it was totally fine, twice I think I have done it now. Last time I went to do it I wasn't allowed as my brother had had MRSA and I had been looking after his wound (dressing and cleaning it for him). It was a good job I thought to tell them at last minute because it wasn't a question they'd asked lol

My bf had it done that time tho but he went really white and dizzy after. Think he just needed to man up really haha only joking, he was fine after he sat down and had some chocolate biscuits

The needle really doesn't hurt and if you don't like them then just don't look. Also I advise not looking at the blood actually coming out cos even though I have never considered myself squeamish it still gave me a bit of a funny feeling.

Only part that ever scared me was when they couldn't find a vein to use. I had about 5 nurses crowded round me trying to get a vein up...I was like why am I weird, please stop looking at me haha

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to donate blood recently but since I'm underage I need my parents' permission. My mum has this idea that they'll drain me of everything :confused:, still trying to persuade her otherwise...:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Was going to a while ago, but then found out you can't do it for about 6 months or something after getting a tattoo.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not old enough but probably will when I am old enough and maybe bone marrow too but I don't know much about that.

If I weren't I think it'd be more the inconvenience/tediousness of going down to a clinic and asking about it and stuff more than anything.

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtemisRose)
    I've given when they came to my school. Wasn't bad at all, didn't even feel the needle and the sorest thing was the finger prick.

My blood probably isn't any use to many people since I'm B+ but ah well it will help someone hopefully.

Im planning on donating again but I think I might switch to donating platelets.
    I was told that the Scottish health service wont accept platelets from a women....not being sexist, but its generally less cost effective....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ringham33170)
    I was told that the Scottish health service wont accept platelets from a women....not being sexist, but its generally less cost effective....
    I know a a woman who doe it but she's they're really specific in what they are looking for so it may not be an option which is crap because my platelets would probably be more use than my blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovietpride)
    To those who have done it:
    What do they ask you?

Because i'm wary of the "you cannot donate blood if you're gay or slept with a gay man" malark, yet from the posts i've yet to see how they actually find this out...
    Well I believe it's part of the normal declaration you have to make to say that you've not done any other stuff - like had a tattoo or piercing in the last 12 months and so on. I'm not sure very many people at all could tell a point-blank straight-faced lie to several nurses and on a form and not feel a bit bad about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Probably won't. No desire to.
    Have some neg rep for being greedy.

Yes I do, got my 4th time next week.

(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Have some neg rep for being greedy.

Yes I do, got my 4th time next week.
    Haha. Neg rep oh noes! What are you twelve?

ReputationRep:
    They came to my school and I gave them details.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by OceanInTheSky)
    Was going to a while ago, but then found out you can't do it for about 6 months or something after getting a tattoo.

(Original post by Vinchenko)
    Well I believe it's part of the normal declaration you have to make to say that you've not done any other stuff - like had a tattoo or piercing in the last 12 months and so on. I'm not sure very many people at all could tell a point-blank straight-faced lie to several nurses and on a form and not feel a bit bad about it...
    You have to wait 4 months after a piercing or tattoo. It used to be 12 but they changed it.

ReputationRep:
    After my boyfriend had been diagnosed with leukaemia, I really felt this was something I had to do, despite my fear of needles and blood. I donated twice and was really upset when they told me I could no longer donate because both times, I felt really lightheaded for about 5-10 minutes afterwards. I would have thought that this was a normal occurrence for some people seeing as you'd just lost a pint of blood?

ReputationRep:
    Wish I could, but legally I cannot :/
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by twist.the.illusion)
    After my boyfriend had been diagnosed with leukaemia, I really felt this was something I had to do, despite my fear of needles and blood. I donated twice and was really upset when they told me I could no longer donate because both times, I felt really lightheaded for about 5-10 minutes afterwards. I would have thought that this was a normal occurrence for some people seeing as you'd just lost a pint of blood?
    Unfortunately they want to get people in and out as quickly as possible. If you need to sit down for 5-10 mins then you're taking up a seat/bed someone else could use, and also need someone to watch over you. They accept some dizziness, but if you feel too awful they might decide you're not worth it.

There's also the risk that one day you'll have a really bad reaction - you might have not eaten properly, or had enough sleep, or drank enough or whatever - and if your reactions are already bad then a worse one could be dangerous.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Juno)
    You have to wait 4 months after a piercing or tattoo. It used to be 12 but they changed it.
    In Scotland it's still 12 I think (if not I'll go and donate as soon as I'm back at uni!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.